PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Freezing After Login

nedjinski
October 29th, 2010, 03:57 PM
I think this problem is unique to this computer and not the distro.

I have an older machine that I have installed 10.10 on. The install was fine and normal - after the install I went to restart the computer and it makes it as far as the login screen, permits the logon, churns the HD a little and then freezes on the desktop background and mouse pointer (frozen). It does this now everytime I reboot so I can't get to the desktop yet. It's not the distro or the install as it has done exactly the same thing on 10.04 and xubuntu 10.10

I read another thread about another user with the same problem - the solutions had to do with the onboard video. I have tried all kinds of different settings in the BIOS with no changes.

Is there something in the linux core that could be causing the thing to hang? Is there a way to configure the os for older under powered machines like this? I have installed 10.10 on other older machines which work okay - there is something unique to this computer.

I did discover that if I let the machine boot up to the login screen but don't logon, just let the computer sit, it will hibernate after x minutes (hardware not linux) then when I wake up the machine it has gone past the login screen and is already at the (linux) desktop.

Any ideas about this?