PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Acer Aspire X3200 & ATEN switch box

dualbu
October 29th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Switch box: ATEN MasterView CS-1764 DVI 4-port.

Works great with four computers (2 Dells, one dual boot with Ubuntu 8.04) Acer Aspire X3200 running W7 and a Mac Mini.

Problem: Ubuntu 10.4 and 10.10 on the Acer seems to have keyboard problems with the switch box. To be specific:

1. It is harder to switch manually between machines - the buttons seem sluggish. I have to press harder and longer.

2. With different keyboards, key presses often result in rapid repeats of letters, like this: testttttttttttttttttttttttttt.

Worse, this does not just happen with Ubuntu while Ubunu is running. Other systems on the box also have this problem. I.E., when I type in XP on a different computer, the keyboard generates rapid repeats.

Somehow the existence of a running 10.4 (or 10.10 on DVD) running on the Acer causes this problem to occur.

I tried booting into one of my Dell boxes and using "Try Ubuntu". I had to give up because it never started (infinite spinning icon). But while the readme notes were open in Firefox, I could switch to other computers and not have a keyboard problem.

So, I can't say for sure, but the problem does seem to be Acer related. The question is, is it BIOS or processor or what, and why is the switch box affected this way?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Acer Aspire X3200

ATHLON 64 Dual Core 5600+ 2.90 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce 9400 (GF 8200 + GF 9300)
NVIDIA GeForce 9400 (GF 9300 + GF 8200)

To update, I contacted ATEN. Their first response was to ask me to try different USB ports, etc.

First I tried using a keyboard and mouse directly connected instead of through the switch. Using 10.10 (upgraded from 10.4) I saw keyboard problems at all.

Back on the switch using completely different connections and computer usb ports, the same keyboard repeat trouble returned - could not even log in to 10.10! LOL

Maybe it is a problem with the Acer BIOS, which is only evident using Ubuntu (not W7).

Maybe it is the switch firmware.

Or maybe something about how Ubuntu deals with the hardware/software of this Acer computer causes unnecessary signal flow.

I forgot to mention that if I type very slowly, no repeats. Typing half normal speed, however, will cause repeat characters.