PDA

View Full Version : How to Design Programs and Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

mo.reina
October 29th, 2010, 02:48 PM
has anyone read both these books? i was wondering which one to read first...

worseisworser
October 29th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Read HTDP first.

nvteighen
October 29th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Read HTDP first.

Uh... I've only read SICP :P

Barrucadu
October 30th, 2010, 01:42 AM
I've read neither, but I have a copy of SICP and haven't heard of HTDP. If that helps >.>

CptPicard
October 30th, 2010, 01:43 AM
has anyone read both these books? i was wondering which one to read first...

Dedifitenily, SICP.

matthew.ball
October 30th, 2010, 02:47 AM
If I had a copy, I'd be reading SICP. :p

schauerlich
October 30th, 2010, 06:29 AM
If I had a copy, I'd be reading SICP. :p

It's available free online (http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/book/book.html).

worksofcraft
October 30th, 2010, 11:07 AM
What's a "book"?

worseisworser
October 30th, 2010, 02:14 PM
What's a waffle waitress?

cgroza
October 30th, 2010, 02:17 PM
A book its something that will be replaced by the computer.

skytreader
October 30th, 2010, 05:25 PM
I've given both a whirl and here's my two cents on the matter. On a skill scale of 0-10, 10 being the highest:

If you're around [0,4] (i.e., you can code but you code in a very straightforward manner, auxiliary functions and abstraction means nothing to you, you're not very good with loops), go for HtDP first. It will introduce you to a very systematic manner of thinking about programming. HtDP is a very good intro to programming without becoming too "(continuous/calculus) mathematical".

Around [5,7] (i.e., comfortable with loops [and maybe recursion], can code some algorithms, knows what abstraction is for, can code comfortably with some math), go for SICP. At this point HtDP might sound too "baby" for you.

Around [8,10]...start reading Concepts, Techniques and Models of Computer Programming*. While some might argue that those in this level must know CTMCP concepts already, you might still pick-up a gem or two here.

(*You didn't ask about CTMCP but I thought I'd plug it in as it is inspired by SICP).

Hope I helped. ;D

mo.reina
October 30th, 2010, 05:49 PM
thanks for the replies, any reason to read SICP before HTDP? or vice versa?

i mainly program in python but lately i've been exposed to ruby and io, which seem to have really cool meta programming capabilities, and i've always been interested in learning LISP.