PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Asus k52f Can't start x

Kevinc1
October 29th, 2010, 01:58 PM
I recently got an asus k52f and am having a nightmare of a time trying to get maverick on it. x will not start and i can't find much out about it as the laptop is fairly new. I do (temporarily at least) get the login prompt and i have installed all of the updates/upgrades to maverick via sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade but no luck. The laptop has the Intel HM55 Express chipset with intel gma hd graphics, p6100 cpu, 3gb ddr3.. not sure what all details are needed but I hope someone can help me, as I am pretty bummed about not being able to use my new laptop lol.

Thanks for any and all help.

Kevinc1
October 29th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Ok may have hope if someone can help me install kernel 2.6.36 mainline from the limited interface that i get instead of x. I can still login and use terminal commands.. can't seem to find a guide for installing the new kernel from there. thanks again for the help.

jbarkawi
November 21st, 2010, 08:27 AM
I recently got an asus k52f and am having a nightmare of a time trying to get maverick on it. x will not start and i can't find much out about it as the laptop is fairly new. I do (temporarily at least) get the login prompt and i have installed all of the updates/upgrades to maverick via sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade but no luck. The laptop has the Intel HM55 Express chipset with intel gma hd graphics, p6100 cpu, 3gb ddr3.. not sure what all details are needed but I hope someone can help me, as I am pretty bummed about not being able to use my new laptop lol.

Thanks for any and all help.

I had a lot of troube with this, and after some searching and trial and error I found a solution to starting X. I have an Asus K52F with the 32-bit Maverick distro.

Basically, you need to blacklist an intel driver. Boot normally and into a terminal. Type "sudo vi /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf"
This opens the vim text editor.

You can read the comments in the file to get a better idea of what blacklisting means.

Next, press 'i' to go into insert mode. On the first free line (one that does not start with #), type 'blacklist intel_ips' (no quotes).

Next, press the escape key to exit insert mode. Then press the character sequence :wq! and press enter. This will save the file and exit back to the terminal. Type reboot, and you should be good to go.

Hope this helps.

Joe

brianterrel
April 27th, 2011, 06:54 PM
I had a lot of troube with this, and after some searching and trial and error I found a solution to starting X. I have an Asus K52F with the 32-bit Maverick distro.

Basically, you need to blacklist an intel driver. Boot normally and into a terminal. Type "sudo vi /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf"
This opens the vim text editor.

You can read the comments in the file to get a better idea of what blacklisting means.

Next, press 'i' to go into insert mode. On the first free line (one that does not start with #), type 'blacklist intel_ips' (no quotes).

Next, press the escape key to exit insert mode. Then press the character sequence :wq! and press enter. This will save the file and exit back to the terminal. Type reboot, and you should be good to go.

Hope this helps.

Joe

I was having the same problem with a K52F I was configuring and blacklisting the driver solved the problem for me.

I actually was able to get into X by booting into recovery and starting in failsafeX, so I used gedit to blacklist X, which might be a bit easier for a noob (such as myself) than using vim.

Cheers