PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] PDF printing: how to...

Robert.Thompson
October 29th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Hello:

Is it possible to get OpenOffice, by default, to print to and then open a pdf file which can then be saved?

I have installed, I think, a PDF printer which I can access from OpenOffice but, when I 'print', I have no idea where it goes - it certainly does not open on my desktop.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old_Man_Unix
October 29th, 2010, 02:08 PM
OpenOffice will recognize a PDF file and will attempt to open it - actually, import it - but IME the filters do not work all that well and you often end up with garbage.

If you can get it to open the file "cleanly", you should be able to print to any properly installed printer. Is the printer installed properly? Are you able to print other files from OpenOffice?

BTW, Ubuntu has a document reader as part of the default installation. It is called Evince. It reads PDF files very nicely and will print them to any installed printer.

However, you do not launch Evince from the Main Menu. You launch it by clicking on the PDF file. Or you can launch it via a terminal command

Is there some reason that you cannot use the document reader for what you want to do?

migs73
October 29th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Try this
http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/pdfimport

FYI opens as an Impress file to allow editing, and then converts back to PDF on saving. To install, download correct file to desktop, open an OO app and select tools > extension manager.. click add, then browse to your desktop and select the file. Do the legal stuff with the license and accept. Then give it a try!

It's not perfect, layouts can be a bit bodged, depends on what you are trying to do

mike555
October 29th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Ubuntu has a built-in PDF "printer" , just click print , choice "to file", pick .PDF , name the file (this is important, otherwise it will save as .PDF - which is a hidden file).

ajgreeny
October 29th, 2010, 03:42 PM
I assume you are also aware of the ability OOo has to export any document you have written or drawn, etc etc to a pdf instead of the default ODS or ODT. This option does not show in the print dialog, but in the menu file ->Export as PDF.

As far as I'm aware, you can not import a PDF to OOo Draw and then edit it, or at least, I have never been able to do so with any PDFs other than those produced in OOo by exporting as PDF. Other PDFs such as those downloaded from the web all seem to be non-editable.

There is a package called pdfedit available in the repos which purports to be able to do that, but I have never managed to get it to work very well either.

migs73
October 29th, 2010, 04:23 PM
As far as I'm aware, you can not import a PDF to OOo Draw and then edit it, or at least, I have never been able to do so with any PDFs other than those produced in OOo by exporting as PDF. Other PDFs such as those downloaded from the web all seem to be non-editable.

see my post #3 above

ajgreeny
October 29th, 2010, 09:11 PM
see my post #3 above
I already have pdfimport extension installed, and it will import and open pdf files with no problem, however, as I said, I can not edit most pdf files; only those that I have produced myself with OOo -> Export to PDF will edit as far as I can see.

migs73
October 29th, 2010, 09:17 PM
I've never had any problem editing PDF from any source, only the layout can get a bit jumbled, making it difficult to put text in boxes. I assume any I make will edit without any problems.

uRock
October 29th, 2010, 09:23 PM
This is how I make a PDF.

migs73
October 29th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Me too :P

ajgreeny
October 30th, 2010, 11:09 AM
I've never had any problem editing PDF from any source, only the layout can get a bit jumbled, making it difficult to put text in boxes. I assume any I make will edit without any problems.
OK, I've now investigated my problems a bit further and have found my problem is just that; my problem and not the OOo application extension at all. I simply had not looked closely enough at the opened pdf in OOo Draw, and had missed a number of the controls.

That's what I like about this forum: you learn a great deal about things sometimes that you don't even know you did not know, to misquote George Bush!

migs73
October 31st, 2010, 09:15 PM
OK, I've now investigated my problems a bit further and have found my problem is just that; my problem and not the OOo application extension at all. I simply had not looked closely enough at the opened pdf in OOo Draw, and had missed a number of the controls.

That's what I like about this forum: you learn a great deal about things sometimes that you don't even know you did not know, to misquote George Bush!

If there is anything else that you don't know , you don't know don't be afraid to ask!

:lol: