PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hibernate causes crash

WanderingOak
October 29th, 2010, 11:50 AM
I just installed Lucid on an iMac 7,1, and everything is working well, except for hibernate. Whenever I tell my system to hibernate, it becomes completely unresponsive. Sometimes, I have to power the computer down myself and reboot. However, occasionally, the computer displays the following error message then shuts down by itself

[29722.336335] btusb_inter_complete: hci0 urb ffff88--6f4ec540 failed to resubmit
(1)
[29722.337323] btusb_bulk_complete: hci0 urb ffff88--6f4ec240 failed to resubmit
(1)
[29722.338322 btusb_bulk_complete: hci0 urb ffff88--6f4ec600 failed to resubmit
(1)When the computer shuts down by itself, the only login option that I have in Linux is the account that I was in before the crash. So far nothing has been damaged in these crashes (except for network manager, which I replaced with wicd).

tpievila
November 22nd, 2010, 04:41 PM
I have the same problem on MacBook, though the hibernate works usually. I get three errors with different hex values, and then the machine just freezes. It never reboots on it's own, I have to power cycle the whole laptop. Haven't been able to find out why it does it, I don't even own any bluetooth devices.

tpievila
December 8th, 2010, 03:04 PM
No one else has this problem? Maybe my motherboard's just broken (it's also thinking that I have an optical audio cable connected all the time, again).

earlf
July 9th, 2011, 12:50 AM
I'm quite late here, but am curious:
WanderingOak or tpievila did you find any solutions to resolve this?

I have a similar issue with 10.04 32bit on a 5,1 iMac.

tpievila
July 12th, 2011, 06:48 PM
I'm quite late here, but am curious:
WanderingOak or tpievila did you find any solutions to resolve this?

I have a similar issue with 10.04 32bit on a 5,1 iMac.

Not really... I just try to avoid sleeping/hibernating as much as possible. It has gone better, though. Maybe only one time in five results in a lockup. Sometimes it also takes a LONG time to get to the unlock screen, longer than booting would take.

Neds Moar Salt
July 12th, 2011, 07:55 PM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro5-5/Natty#Suspend

tpievila
July 13th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Mine's a non pro Macbook, so the EFI update doesn't apply. Neither do nvidia drivers. But I'll try adding the sky2 line and see what happens.

earlf
July 16th, 2011, 03:58 AM
Thanks for the update tpievila.

I've noticed a few (2 out of the past 3) resuming from suspend attempts have worked, while others haven't. I am avoiding hibernation too though.

@Needs Moar Salt, I'll check out adding the sky2 snippet.

tpievila
August 7th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Seems like sky2 didn't have any effect on hibernate on non pro Macbook. Sometimes it wakes normally, sometimes it freezes and after a while fan goes on, sometimes it wakes into a kernel traceback, and sometimes it seems like it has frozen, but after a minute or two, the unlock screen is shown.

earlf
September 2nd, 2011, 03:31 AM
Seems like sky2 didn't have any effect on hibernate on non pro Macbook. Sometimes it wakes normally, sometimes it freezes and after a while fan goes on, sometimes it wakes into a kernel traceback, and sometimes it seems like it has frozen, but after a minute or two, the unlock screen is shown.

strange. At least the unlock screen comes alive sometimes.

The fix above helped me for a few weeks until my machine has stopped hibernating altogether. The machine is rapidly approach its end. Thus, I am accepting the lack of functionality and blaming the problems on its old age.

tpievila
September 2nd, 2011, 10:52 AM
Yeah... except mine works perfectly under OS X so the hardware can't be that bad.