PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems 10.10 new users. Help

shade2dope
October 29th, 2010, 08:01 AM
I changed my system from vista to ubuntu 10.10. I ran the install and it worked fine but when I install the updates and restart . I get a list of No suck file or directory???? What can i do to fix this ?

shade2dope
October 29th, 2010, 06:23 PM
Lots of views no ideas ? Should I just reinstall ubuntu and not preform the updates ? Does anyone else have this problem ? Why are the updates doing this ?

Ben_G_9C9
October 29th, 2010, 07:11 PM
I have had a problem similar to this in previous installations of Ubuntu (Desktop). One solution that has worked for me has been to re-install using the alternate text installer --> http://tinyurl.com/3x4evjy

I don't know why this has solved my problem, but it's worth a try.

shade2dope
October 29th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Im using a laptop so would it be different for me ? I didnt see an alt version for laptop/netbook in link provided. And I dont understand why it would work fine before the system updates.

Ben_G_9C9
October 29th, 2010, 07:34 PM
I am using a laptop as well. It is a five-year old Alienware build.
If you were running Windows Vista on your machine, Ubuntu Desktop should be suitable for it.

Here is a direct link for the mirror pages --> http://tinyurl.com/293rh47
If you don't know which one to download, let me know. Include your processor type.

shade2dope
October 29th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Its a pentuim dual core. Im going to upload a video to show what happens after the update

shade2dope
October 29th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Hmmmmmm after this install it didnt chrash ! I dont know why or what changed but it seems to be working fine. TY Im going to cross my fingers it stays that way.

Ben_G_9C9
October 29th, 2010, 07:55 PM
That's the way it goes sometimes. Electronics don't behave until someone else is watching.:)

Dscottmc7
October 29th, 2010, 09:06 PM
HELP! I've been trouble shooting 8 days now...I'm a writer, an old man and not tech savvy so I have to follow advice I can gete!
-5 years loving Ubuntu exclusively until son gave me a Windows 7 screamer...I use both BUT mostly Ubuntu. I upgraded from 10.04 to 10.10 (My bad, did not do a clean install). I got to the Command Line and nada. No GUI at all. (I've read about the new changes that could create this and have gone step by step...)
tried everything I can get my hands on and each one just misses the mark. I have:
HP Pavalion, Intel dual Core duo(x2) 2Gb RAM, 200Gb.HDD (+externals) NO CD-ROM for 2 years, but have an external (USB) Samsung slim CD-ROM/DVD Writer. Running Nivdia GeForce 7300SL (yes, it's supported...even up to 260.53). Runing 686 Ubuntu-10.10 up to command line.
ANYONE HELP? Thank you...really!
Scott