PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Terminal prompt reset to default

thomas37
October 29th, 2010, 07:50 AM
Guys, a friend worked on my Ubuntu system (I am a newbie) and now my terminal prompt behaves strange and looks weird. If I use the up and down arrow keys to scroll through last typed commands, I get gibberish on screen that does not work, and the prompt output is now "[\u@\H \W \@]$
"

How do I reset the terminal to it's default settings and behaviour? My friend did something with VI, not sure if this affects my prompt or not.

darkhelmetchris
October 29th, 2010, 08:01 AM
Your friend has probably messed up your ~/.bashrc file. If you create a new user, log in as that one, it will create a new .bashrc in that user's home folder. You can copy that back to your user profile, chown it to you, log out and log in.

For example:

(back up first, in your normal user profile)

cp ~/.bashrc ~/.bashrc-backup(in the new user, copy the .bashrc file to somewhere like /home)

sudo cp ~/.bashrc /home(log out and in to your regular user, copy the file back to your profile)

sudo cp /home/.bashrc ~
sudo chown yourusername:yourusername .bashrc(log out and log back in)

That should restore a default .bashrc file

If that all works nicely, remove the /home/.bashrc file, as it is a left over. You might also remove the ~/.bashrc-backup file, when you're sure you're happy again.

thomas37
November 1st, 2010, 12:44 PM
Fantastic, let me try that :-)

thomas37
November 1st, 2010, 02:34 PM
Ok, not having much luck getting this done. While the logical flow makes sense to me, I suspect several detailed little steps are missing, as the new used did not have "sudoers" access etc. I cannot seem to get the .bashrc file copied from the new user to my default user. Any ideas?

gmargo
November 1st, 2010, 06:56 PM
The default .bashrc file is in /etc/skel/.bashrc. Copy that one.

$ cd $HOME
$ mv .bashrc .bashrc.old
$ cp -p /etc/skel/.bashrc .

darkhelmetchris
November 1st, 2010, 11:44 PM
The default .bashrc file is in /etc/skel/.bashrc. Copy that one.

Nice, gmargo, I didn't know that's where the default one was. That's probably a better solution.

thomas37, all your new user needed was to be a member of the "admin" group. But, I like gmargo's solution.

thomas37
November 3rd, 2010, 08:27 AM
Thanks guys, Gmargo's solution helped, this is now solved :-)

Quackers
November 3rd, 2010, 09:04 AM
Sorry wrong thread!