PDA

View Full Version : Looking for good MP3 Player

TriBlox6432
October 29th, 2010, 01:19 AM
I'm currently in the market for an MP3 player. Good quality, as thin as possible, good sound quality, have at least 8GB storage OR ability to add a memory card (microSD)

I was looking at the 4th and 5th generation iPod nano's (The 6th generation seems ridiculous. Why bother with a touch screen) but I can't seem to find any brand new at a decent price. Since a newer generation came out, shouldn't the past 2 be much cheaper?

Anyway, what are your recommendations?

spoons
October 29th, 2010, 01:27 AM
Sansa Clip+ or Sansa Fuze. 4 or 8GB, MicroSD slot, Ogg Vorbis and FLAC support, excellent sound quality once you pair it with some decent headphones (the included ones are naff) and it's made by SanDisk so not some random manufacturer.

Zzl1xndd
October 29th, 2010, 01:27 AM
I always had good luck with the Sansa line of MP3 players. Haven't had on in years mind you, just use my phone now.

TriBlox6432
October 29th, 2010, 01:34 AM
Has anyone tried the new iPod Shuffle (4th Gen)?

It looks pretty good. 2GB is a little small and no memory card slot, but I suppose that it would be okay. And I can use my own in ear headphones because it has buttons on the actual device. Hmmm....

deewatsa
October 29th, 2010, 01:45 AM
I have a iPod 5th gen and would recommend one all day every day.

When I first was on the market for an mp3 player all I wanted was one that was dedicated to playing music/audio (not extras like camera/radio/) and one that looked ideal was the Rio Karma 20GB but Rio company crashed in late 2005, they are now back with new line ups.

The Karma was a dedicated mp3 player so like the new sony walkman has better quality playback and record than the iPod.

If you will be using for activity (running sports) than buy flash based and not HD as HD will skip.

Spr0k3t
October 29th, 2010, 01:50 AM
I'm going to second anything from Sansa. They work great with Linux. No festering with oddball software in hopes of trying to get the latest updates. You don't have to mess with iTunes on Linux to sync properly. Everything just works.

Doulos1
October 29th, 2010, 01:56 AM
Depends on what you want to listen to. Some Sansa models are not compatible with WMA Secure, so make sure you check to see what formats your chosen model will play. If you are not going to listen to audiobooks in WMA Secure format - no problem.

I have a Creative Zen 16Gb player. I am a truck driver so I listen to a lot of books checked out of a digital library.

Schrute Farms
October 29th, 2010, 02:11 AM
Another vote for the Sansa Line. I've got an 8gb Fuze with an 8gb Micro sd card. It sounds great. Although the included earbuds aren't as good as ones you can go out and buy, they are better than any other stock earbuds I've heard. No problems with linux, and you can RockBox it, if you so choose.

TriBlox6432
October 29th, 2010, 02:14 AM
I think I'll purchase a Fuze, then. How does one go about syncing it though? Just drag-and-drop your music files onto it? Or should I use an application to actually sync it?

TriBlox6432
November 1st, 2010, 11:55 PM
Bump.

moyam01
November 2nd, 2010, 12:03 AM
I had a sansa base based player a while ago, and the newer ubuntu versions are able to recognize it and you can do all of your music management through rhythimbox

Schrute Farms
November 2nd, 2010, 12:44 AM
I think I'll purchase a Fuze, then. How does one go about syncing it though? Just drag-and-drop your music files onto it? Or should I use an application to actually sync it?

If you like playlists, then you will need another program, like Rhythmbox. I never use them, so nautilus works great for me.

When the player is plugged in, you get icons on the desktop. I just double click them, then find my music folders in the side window panel. Just drag the music from your hd folder to your music folder on the fuze (or anywhere on the player actually works) and voila! But, again, for playlists you will need another application.

After you get your player, if you have a lot of or plan to use the mp3 format, EasyTAG is highly recommended for managing your mp3 tags. It will even do playlists, if you use them. Open a terminal and type sudo apt-get install easytag

Chronon
November 2nd, 2010, 12:45 AM
Sansas (including the Fuze) can generally be mounted as a UMS device (i.e. in MSC mode) and be synced via drag-and-drop.

I have a Clip and an e280 and usually just drag and drop to update music on these players.

If you are interested, Rockbox has been ported to Fuze v1 and v2 but not the Fuze +.

TriBlox6432
November 8th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Alright, thanks!!

ethanay
November 25th, 2010, 10:27 PM
Just bought a Fuze v2 8gb for $40 and immediately put Rockbox on it. Amazing! nearly perfect.

My only quibbles: Still boots up Sansa firmware to do file transfers. Battery isn't replaceable without soldering.

Everything else is awesome. Sound quality, management, album art, AB repeat, time stretch (musician features), instrument tuner, one-handed controls, battery life, etc etc.

It takes a bit to learn some of the features and the new GUI controls (still trying to figure out party mode) but it's all there!

$70 for a 24gb player of this quality (8 + 16gb micro SDHC) is an amazing deal to me.

johntaylor1887
November 25th, 2010, 11:54 PM
Anyway, what are your recommendations?

Get a phone that plays mp3's. The sound quality of most phones is pretty good. I personally don't see why people need to carry 2 devices.

linuxforartists
November 26th, 2010, 12:21 AM
The discussion for how to transfer files onto Samsas is really useful. Good stuff to know.

If the OP is looking for alternatives to iPods, I started a thread on that a little while back:

Favorite music player that isn't an iPod? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1624183)

AllRadioisDead
November 26th, 2010, 12:25 AM
Get an Archos 5 internet tablet, unless it's too big for you. Android is t3h r0xorz.