PDA

View Full Version : Powermac G4 Dilema

sandyd
October 28th, 2010, 07:48 PM
I currently have a powerpc G4 with a huge problem.

I picked this computer up (free)and brought it home.

Since it had a crappy graphics card (ati rage 128 ) and it had glitches (memory errors) in debian, I dug a BFG Geforce FX 5500 (Factory overclocked) and flashed it to a FX 5200 ultra so that it would be compatible with the mac.

The thing is, the graphics drivers for this particular card suck in mac osx.
I don't have any other video cards to give the mac, and im not thinking of getting another one.

The processor itself is a PPC 1.2 GHz processor, and a lot of programs currently don't like ppc macs. (im stuck with mac messenger 7)

Current options:
1. Get a nvidia 7300 GT for $50 (mac compatible). This will completely fix the video card issue because the card is natively supported by mac and mac users using the card say its pretty good.
2. Debianize it (probably openbox, gnome or something)
3. Ubuntuize it (also likely openbox, gnome, or some other wm)

What do you think?

NightwishFan
October 28th, 2010, 08:31 PM
I personally would Debianize it since Debian officially supports PowerPC and Ubuntu does not, though I have never tested the PPC Ubuntu port, for all I know it might rock.

I myself would have no intention of keeping osx around on it though, so my opinion might not mean much. As for the graphics drivers perhaps Debian stable has something older and more compatible (though it is a bit tricky to install the nvidia proprietary drivers).

The machine seems not bad, it might be worth $50 to keep it alive. I certainly would.

kaldor
October 28th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Should've kept the ancient version of OS X for fun. I know a guy who still has OS X 10.2 running daily on an upgraded bondi-blue :)

I agree with the Debian recommendation. Ubuntu hasn't supported PPC for a while now.

dzon65
October 28th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Hi Sandy.50 $ isn't the world to get it running. For the rest,debian,(lenny,I'd wait for squeeze for now) and openbox the hell out of it,wouldn't even bother to install lxde on it,build your own OS so to speak.
Regards,cromag.

sandyd
October 28th, 2010, 11:04 PM
Should've kept the ancient version of OS X for fun. I know a guy who still has OS X 10.2 running daily on an upgraded bondi-blue :)

I agree with the Debian recommendation. Ubuntu hasn't supported PPC for a while now.

I didnt have the old version - the guy pulled the HD

jrusso2
October 29th, 2010, 12:05 AM
You would be unhappy with a G4 on Debian. Somethings would not work others would require workarounds.

Spice Weasel
October 29th, 2010, 12:08 AM
Maybe Yellow Dog? It's made specifically for PowerPC.

NightwishFan
October 29th, 2010, 12:40 AM
Try Debian testing perhaps, and not Stable? Would the newer kernel help?

kaldor
October 29th, 2010, 03:10 AM
http://distrowatch.com/search.php?category=Desktop&origin=All&basedon=All&notbasedon=None&desktop=All&architecture=powerpc&status=Active

Forgot about CentOS.

del_diablo
October 29th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Maybe Yellow Dog? It's made specifically for PowerPC.

Yellowdog more or less sucks.
They sell some support for their PPC distro, but Debian is better maintained from a package perspective.