PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help Ubuntu 10.10 slow on my old 350MHz P2

lonewolf454
October 28th, 2010, 07:44 PM
I have an old HP Pav 6353 with a P2 350 MHz processor and recently installed Ubuntu 10.l0. It lags badly, is there any performance settings I can change to accomodate the slow processor(by todays standards) It is the slowest pc in the house, but I dont have the funds to really justify buying a new pc for the kids room right now. I did allocate several GB hard drive space for swap file...

snowpine
October 28th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Hi Lonewolf, please give the Ubuntu System Requirements (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements) a careful read. A 300mhz processor with 128mb of RAM is the bare minimum for a command-line-only server install (no GUI). For the full Gnome desktop, 1ghz and 1gb are the recommended minimum.

With such old hardware, I would recommend a "lightweight" distro like Puppy, SliTaz, TinyCore, AntiX, etc... really there are many excellent options, no need to struggle with Ubuntu. If this is for your kids, Puppy gets my vote. :)

lonewolf454
October 28th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Thanks I'll check into puppy. I did have the server mixed up with the desktop recommended minimum.

lonewolf454
October 31st, 2010, 07:26 PM
Thought it might be helpful to someone else to know I am up and running with Lucid Puppy 5.1.1 on this old 1998 model HP 6353 PII with 256 MB ram.

Thanks for the recommendation, snowpine.

It was a bit tricky getting the Razr-USB modem setup, it didn't want to recognize it unless I plug it in before booting, and then had to probe for it, just a little different than what I am used to I guess.

It has only been running a day and have installed WINE so my son could play a Windows game (for 800MHz or faster PIII) He had it for a while, couldnt get it to run under Win95 (and WinXP/Ubuntu never ran correctly to load it) Ubuntu just requires too much processor power for the old Pentium II. So far Puppy is great, I am downloading a file as I am writing this and have four windows open at bottom.

I still prefer the feel of Ubuntu for a modern PC, but for an older PC such as a Pentium I/II -Puppy wins hands down- :P