PDA

View Full Version : How has your expericence with Ubuntu been so far ?

xXx 0wn3d xXx
April 15th, 2006, 10:05 PM
My expericence has been great. When I started using Ubuntu, I was like "great, how am I supposed to do anything with this ?" Well I tried and I tried and I have had a great learning expericence. Ubuntu is now my choice and only operating system. Ubuntu is free, works great, but the main reason that I really like ubuntu is the community. :-D Thank you for all the help you have given me and others. What has your expericence been like ? :-k

_linux_
April 15th, 2006, 10:35 PM
Ubuntu is GREAT! Probably the best things are its support and package/update management. Way better than Fedora.

jeepmanjr
April 15th, 2006, 10:51 PM
I think Ubuntu, thanks especially to Automatix, is the best distro going. I've played with a bunch, and have never left Ubuntu. I have several machines on a network, but only two of them are Ubuntu. I have to run Micro$oft on the others as they are used to control communications and telemetry equipment. There is no open-source software for those applications...yet!

Oh, and the fact that Dell refuses to support Linux is another small setback for those wanting to switch. If you run Linux and are looking for a printer, you'd better not buy a Dell!

I'm working on getting my wife to make the move as well. She's not as receptive, but I'll get it loaded on her machine one of these days. With her current OS (MS) it's only a matter of time anyway!! [-o<

And to all the good folks on this forum (especially you Arnieboy), THANK YOU for your patience and hard work with those of us making "the change". Good help from good folks is hard to come by at this price!!

HAPPY EASTER EVERYBODY!!!

taurus
April 15th, 2006, 11:00 PM
Oh, and the fact that Dell refuses to support Linux is another small setback for those wanting to switch. If you run Linux and are looking for a printer, you'd better not buy a Dell!
!
We have a network laser color Dell printer, cn3100, and I can print to it with an IP address alright... ;)

infoseeker
April 15th, 2006, 11:03 PM
I have been running Ubuntu for the longest of any Distro that I have used/tried. I was a bit hesitant at first when I heard that Dapper was available for testing, as I thought that my PC would crash on a regular basis, but things have been totally different. I am seriously debating whether I should remove the Breezy installation entirely, but I thought I had better wait for the official beta release first.

Congratulations to the people and developers of Ubuntu.....your doing a fantastic job.

LoclynGrey
April 15th, 2006, 11:08 PM
After using Ubuntu for some time I now find that using a MS windows system is awkward, in fact 'dirty' is a good word to describe it.

In the early Ubuntu days I struggled to work things out, I remember thinking "where is the damn .exe". Eventually it dawned on me that Ubuntu is not MS Windows and all I had to do was approach problems from a different (non-Microsoft) angle. (problems being- I know how to do it in MS windows but how do you do it in Ubuntu)

I had issues with
- dual booting...found help and answers in the fourm
- loading software...plug for automatix here, as that script is a must have.
- network shares with Windows & Linux machines.....found help and answers in the forum.
- wireless cards... answers in the forum

The community and forum are so alive and vibrant and of course very helpful.
Respect to all.

jeepmanjr
April 15th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Hey that's great. I've seen a few claims here and there that folks have gotten certain Dell printers to work, many with limited functionality though. However, I have a Dell 962 with wireless server. It does NOT work. If you have a trick, I'm all ears!! This is another reason why I keep an MS machine around. Unfortunately, I already had the printer before I switched to Ubuntu.

Don't get me wrong...I love the Ubuntu OS. But it's still not a "catch-all" if you will, at least not in my opinion. There are still many tasks that simply can not be accomplished on a linux box, like those mentioned in a previous post. But hey, how many people use remote telemetry equipment?

Oh...You should contact Dell some day and inquire about support for Linux. ](*,)

Have a great day!!

nickle
April 15th, 2006, 11:21 PM
I think Ubuntu, thanks especially to Automatix, is the best distro going.
HAPPY EASTER EVERYBODY!!!

Yes, it works it does the things I want to do, and automatix does so much in swipe that does so much to make it so easy, thanks Arnieboy...

towsonu2003
April 16th, 2006, 01:19 AM
so far, very good but not excellent:

the fact that my modem works only in ubuntu (weird, isn't it) locked me in ubuntu, and I like it :) the only bad experience I'm having is decreased speed with time. I'm hoping this will be fixed by me doing a clean install with Dapper.

unbuntu
April 16th, 2006, 01:24 AM
My experience with Ubuntu so far is superb. I've never used any distro for so long as I use Ubuntu, and my time with it is keep counting.

Before(like 3 or 4 years ago), I use Linux mostly on its console, you know, commands and stuff. Since it's damn hard to even get a normal peripheral functioning under Linux. With Ubuntu, it recognizes all my peripherals, mount them automatically (although a little manual tweaking is required) and I even burned a DVD with my USB dvd burner last week, a task that's unimaginable to be done under Linux without sweat back in those days.

Also, the package management system is excellent. Far better than Redhat's RPM (I don't know how RPM evolved now, but synaptic is definitely better)

Now my wondering is: how many of these can actually been credited to Ubuntu? I mean, I haven't quite followed the development of Gnome(or KDE), and I'm sort of re-starting to use Linux about half a year ago, therefore I don't know these new features are unique to Ubuntu, or other distros that use Gnome also have it? (features like burning DVD, recognizing USB devices, synaptic package manager, gnome-app-install, and so on...)

Oh, by the way, I'm so looking forward to Dapper now :D

MetalMusicAddict
April 16th, 2006, 01:35 AM
Great enough for me to switch 6 PCs in my house it. ;)

Dapper is great so far. I have it booting super fast. Especially after turning off unneeded services.

I hope it (Dapper) will be fine for my server.

towsonu2003
April 16th, 2006, 01:55 AM
Now my wondering is: how many of these can actually been credited to Ubuntu? I mean, I haven't quite followed the development of Gnome(or KDE), and I'm sort of re-starting to use Linux about half a year ago, therefore I don't know these new features are unique to Ubuntu, or other distros that uses Gnome also have it? (features like burning DVD, recognizing USB devices, synaptic package manager, gnome-app-install, and so on...)
Most of the device recognition and configuration is up to distro specific scripts. They don't "invent" the drivers, but the implementation of these drivers are distro specific.

John.Michael.Kane
April 16th, 2006, 02:06 AM
After getting pass the initial issues, i had with the running a new OS. Everything fell into place, no it was not perfect. However it has been a good learning experience. Ubuntu/Ubuntuforums both seem to be setting a standard that to some has been well overdue.

fuscia
April 16th, 2006, 02:42 AM
awesome! the only other OS i ever used was windowsME. i loved messing with it, but now, i'm seeing what i can do to it, rather than undo to it.

djsroknrol
April 17th, 2006, 02:07 AM
This is my first real "hands on" experience with a Linux distro, and I'm enjoying every minute of it...there was, and still is a learning curve, but not any worse that M$, and I've been a user since Win 3.0..yes, there was such a thing as 3.0...:) I hope to break those M$ chains soon.....I'm hoping that Dapper will give me the reason to change for good.

geo15
April 17th, 2006, 11:08 AM
I am a newbie - do Windows support. I like Ubuntu a lot - easy to install and most things work out of the box.My Microsoft wireless desktop works exept for the hot buttons. Have problems to get Genius TV tuner to work. Will be playing with Ubuntu a lot from now on but does not feel comfortable to install it for clients yet - problem is when you add hardware later there may not be built in support for new devices. Found the forums and wiki very useful.

djheadley
April 17th, 2006, 04:19 PM
I started with 5.04 and had a horrible time with my ISP (Netzero) but finally got it working. I LOVE Ubuntu and now use 5.10 on my 433mhz celeron. I don't think it's too slow and I like the fact that it installed perfectly the first time. I WILL be moving to Dapper soon after it is released. I have been using computers since CPM (before DOS).

Christmas
April 17th, 2006, 04:40 PM
I think Ubuntu really is great. A little slow though, I installed today Debian 3.1r1 "Sarge" and it's faster in minimizing/maximizing/resizing etc. Ubuntu is great and the ShipIt service is really great, I appreciate the Ubuntu Team for all the efforts.
At the beginning I had some small problems understanding the "sudo" command (I am still a newbie and I haven't tried too much distros before Ubuntu, only Fedora Core 4 and Red Hat 9.0, and by "trying" I mean installing the distro and the drivers and learning how to install packages). Ubuntu it's way easier than Fedora from my point of view. Installing is just very simple, the hardware I have got detected immediately with no configuration in files by hand, and everything just worked fine for me. And the fact that it's based on Debian is a very good thing, I only have installed Debian (oh, and was quite hard, I had to edit the XF86Config-4, I didn't know much of configuration and also there was no xorg.conf so... quite hard) for a couple of hours and I begin to love this distro as much as Ubuntu. Both rock!