PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help-- remote desktop access not working

hoboy
October 28th, 2010, 05:48 PM
I have just installed linux 10.10, I want to use vnc on my another computer to access my desktop using remote access.
When I navigate to Remote esktop Preferences.

Your desktop is only reachable over the local network. Others can access your computer using the address localhost, no ip address.
this is not working.

endotherm
October 28th, 2010, 05:51 PM
it looks like your network is not correctly configured. can you please post back the output of:

ifconfig -a
cat /etc/network/interfaces
cat /etc/resolv.conf
route

hoboy
October 28th, 2010, 05:57 PM
it looks like your network is not correctly configured. can you please post back the output of:

ifconfig -a
cat /etc/network/interfaces
cat /etc/resolv.conf
route

thks. nmmmmmm the compueter is at work I have access to it tomorrow :(

endotherm
October 28th, 2010, 06:03 PM
ok, so to confirm, you want to use remote desktop across the internet, and the PC is on a business network?

that seriously complicates matters beyond the initial network configuration issue.
to make it work, you will need administrative access to the companies Internet connection (their gateway/firewall router) so you can forward the ports, but more than that, it is not safe to expose VNC services to the web without taking some much heavier precautions like SSH or VPN tunneling.

tell us a little about the work network you are dealing with

CharlesA
October 28th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Make sure you have permission from the IT guys before doing anything. It could be considered a security risk.

hoboy
October 28th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Make sure you have permission from the IT guys before doing anything. It could be considered a security risk.

Thanks guys, but the I had 9.04 on it and I worked, I have made a freshed installation of 10.10 today