PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting an Android (phone)

Boondoklife
October 28th, 2010, 04:37 PM
It is time to retire my old HTC Tytn II and in its place I would love to get an android. I have looked into the OS a little bit and like what it offers, but I wanted to know how well some of the functions of the phones work.

I currently have just a couple of NEEDs in order to justify the upgrade (In order of importance):

Price w/o contract (Lowest Possible and I am fine with used devices)
GSM (No CDMA devices please)
VOIP
IM Clients
Email
Video playback

Now I understand that this is a little broad and Video Playback does depend on the available hardware. I have come to my favorite community to get recommendations as to what device to get and software I will need. I would prefer to hear from people that have the applications running and can verify they work.

As noted I am looking for as cheap a device as possible, but VOIP capability is a MUST. Speaking of VOIP if anyone is using it on an Android, is it possible to integrate it into the stock dialer and address book (this is how I have it setup in WM6 and it is very convenient).

aysiu
October 28th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Are you in the US? (I'm not sure if other countries use CDMA.)

The lowest price Android phone I've heard about is a Virgin Mobile one that's US$30 with a 2-year contract, but that's on CDMA. Otherwise, most GSM Android phones are US$200 and up with a contract, and much more expensive without a contract.

If both you and the people you're calling can figure out SIP clients, then you can use Fring as VOIP on Android. I couldn't make head or tails of all this SIP stuff, though. I'm tech-dumb that way and need something simple like Skype (which has a garbage app on Android, by the way).

There are plenty of IM clients on Android, and it usually comes with Google Talk, too.

Email client is built in and can do POP, IMAP, or Exchange. There are also other email clients you can install from the Android Market.

Basic video playback is available. If you need to play back videos that require other codecs, you can install Arcmedia off the Android Market.

Zzl1xndd
October 28th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Aysiu covered most of what you are looking for.

However a Friends, my girlfriend, and I all have Android phones.

They are the Samsung Galaxy S, Sony Xperia X10, and the Acer Liquid E.

All work rather well but the Liquid E was by far the most cost effective and is GSM. its 29.99 on contract and 424.99 without (I'm In Canada). The Phone works well although some have a Battery issue.

Boondoklife
October 28th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the recommendations so far, I am actually looking for something without a contract. I normally pic my phones up off of ebay.

As for the voip, I tried fring on my WM device and it was a nightmare and worked skiddishly at best. I would have figured android would have VOIP functionality built in, im glad I asked. I use my voip for incoming calls as I get unlimited calls for a dollar a month. As for outboud I just use google voice to dial a number I want to call so I dont get charged =].

I really only use my mobile in wifi areas, save when Im abroad and need cell service which is why I wanted GSM. Yea Im'm in the US and contracts are just Evil here as with most of the corporations.

aysiu
October 28th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the recommendations so far, I am actually looking for something without a contract. I normally pic my phones up off of ebay.

As for the voip, I tried fring on my WM device and it was a nightmare and worked skiddishly at best. I would have figured android would have VOIP functionality built in, im glad I asked. I use my voip for incoming calls as I get unlimited calls for a dollar a month. As for outboud I just use google voice to dial a number I want to call so I dont get charged =].

I really only use my mobile in wifi areas, save when Im abroad and need cell service which is why I wanted GSM. Yea Im'm in the US and contracts are just Evil here as with most of the corporations.
There may be complicated hacks available if you're interested, but if you found (as I also did) Fring to be a nightmare, I doubt you want to go that route.

Stock Android does not offer simple VOIP.

With Google Voice you can get free calling by using Google Voice through your landline, or by calling straight from your GMail account on your desktop, laptop, or netbook computer.

You cannot (again, this may be possible with weird workarounds but not with normal Android, even rooted) just use simple Google Voice as VOIP for free calls over wireless on your phone.

Boondoklife
October 28th, 2010, 05:28 PM
I have a voip provider (Localphone (http://www.localphone.com/?rb=BnYzX9fOrZ0g6nQBWRypCSP%2BlKs2uuhu0Ebd6MeEzs0% 3D)) that I use to get incoming calls, gives you your own number and all for $1/mo. It covers all my incoming calls. To make calls I just goto google.com/voice and have it call who ever I want and call me (So I dont get charged since I have unlimited incoming calls). I know this works with my WM phone so as long as I can get VOIP to work on the Android it should work there too.

I would be interested in the hacks as that is what I had to do to get my WM device to do VOIP natively, had to flash it with a custom rom and what not.

Maheriano
October 28th, 2010, 05:28 PM
I got the HTC Hero running Android 2.1, I can try some VOIP applications and let you know how they go.

But why would you want GSM when CDMA and HSPA offer superior security and less technical issues? Especially if you're going to be using this to send client communications, they're going to want a higher security platform for communication.

Boondoklife
October 28th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Well I just assumed that all of the android devices were hspa capable since they are some of the most advanced devices out there. I only said GSM as it is easily recognizable device type.

That would be great if you could try out a few, especially any that integrate into the phones dialer and contacts (if it exists).

samalex
October 28th, 2010, 06:08 PM
If the OP can find a DroidX on EBay, these things rock! Also I've compared the screen on my DroidX to other smaller Android phones, and I just don't see how those smaller displays don't cause ya to go nuts :)

New you'll be under contract or pay out the a$$, but I've seen them used for around $100 which IMO is worth it.

Boondoklife
October 28th, 2010, 06:13 PM
If the OP can find a DroidX on EBay, these things rock! Also I've compared the screen on my DroidX to other smaller Android phones, and I just don't see how those smaller displays don't cause ya to go nuts :)

New you'll be under contract or pay out the a$$, but I've seen them used for around $100 which IMO is worth it.

Thanks for the post but isn't the droid x a verizon phone? I'm not too hung up on screen size since almost all the devices now have a bigger screen than my current phone. By the way love the trash80 avatar!

ubunterooster
October 28th, 2010, 09:28 PM

I have an Incredible and while the screen is small, I also find my uncle's DroidX to be to small.

Piece of advice; do not pay for an unlocked phone because not only do you pay for the unlocking you also have to pay activation and setup fees to the new company you set it up to

Boondoklife
October 28th, 2010, 10:53 PM
I have an Incredible and while the screen is small, I also find my uncle's DroidX to be to small.

Piece of advice; do not pay for an unlocked phone because not only do you pay for the unlocking you also have to pay activation and setup fees to the new company you set it up to

Yea I normally do not buy an "unlocked" phone unless the price is the same as a locked one (or cheaper of course). My reasoning is I can always get an unlock code myself for a couple dollars and call it a day. As for the activation fees and what not I am not worried, working for telco's for a few years left me with a few tricks up my sleeve. I have not paid an activation fee or setup fee (and can usually get a sim for free too) for any of my lines since 1999 hehe.

It is kinda sad, but it seems like people have lost the want to negotiate and in stead just hand their wallets over with out asking for a better deal.

On a side note, it looks like sipdroid is an app that lets you use the native dialer and contacts to call people and use a voip account instead of cellular! Anyone used this yet?