PDA

View Full Version : LinuxLiNuXLINUX

ThePainter
February 19th, 2005, 09:26 AM
Hi,
I am a memeber of many linux forums and one I have just joined is LinuxLiNuXLINUX which is a msn group and I mensioned that I used UBUNTU and I got a load of back chat about "whats all this interest in UBUNTU when it is just a half baked unstable version of Debian with an ugly interface" ?
The more active members seem to be promoting Mepis and Slackware.
Are these much different to UBUNTU ?
I had a browse around the mepis site and it looks similar and doesnt seem to offer anything different.
Do you think it is just another case of preference and the fact that most of them havent tried UBUNTU ?

I quite like the Human theme actually :-P

I now realise that it is necessary to try different distros till you find one that suits you and dont rely too much on other peoples opinions.
I have had bother with Fedora and Mandrake but UBUNTU is in and running great so until something goes seriously wrong I wont be trying any more distros. :grin:

Has anyone else had similar experiences on different forums ?

Yukonjack
February 19th, 2005, 10:47 AM
Yes many time, you will always run into these radical zealots, I find those folks to be of the ignorent type or very imature, there are a few out there but most are good folks. I always said what ever turns your crank. I have tried many distro's over the years and only like a few.
For me Slackware was ok but slow in the updates, it is one of the oldest distro out there. Mepis was not my cup of tea.

Adrenal
February 19th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Omg Ubuntu Roxors My Boxers!!!111!!

Xian
February 19th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Let's have a new rule. :)

All distros are good. The people that use them are sometimes not.

slackerj
February 19th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Let's have a new rule. :)

All distros are good. The people that use them are sometimes not.
Couldn't of said it any better :)

Different strokes for Different folks ;)

DJ_Max
February 19th, 2005, 06:00 PM
Ignorant is a good word to use. Saying Ubuntu has a ugly frontend shows they know nothing about Ubuntu. I guess they were referring to the default desktop environment, which you can easily change.

Of course, I think slackerj said it best.

Different strokes for Different folks

gw90se
February 19th, 2005, 06:07 PM
It was this forum and the people on it that made me go Ubuntu.

I played with a couple of other distos and got bummed out about all the new stuff to learn. When I decided to go at it again, I searched and browsed thru the various forums and groups. I knew that most of the distors were fine, but that the help I received would be the difference. Hopefully one day, I'll be far enough along that I can help someone else and pay back some of the help I have been given.

KiwiNZ
February 19th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Couldn't of said it any better :)

Different strokes for Different folks ;)

Exactly you use the distro that fits the best , and thus the fantastic choice the Linux world offers ,
Windows World choice ? Oh well never mindhttp://www.ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif

BWF89
February 19th, 2005, 11:01 PM
I have just joined is LinuxLiNuXLINUX which is a msn group
That's kind on an oxymoron.

ThePainter
February 20th, 2005, 12:45 AM
Hi,
I know isnt it.
I use the MSN forums a lot but a lot of the facilities dont work in Linux such as the chat rooms within forums, it actually states that they will not work in a linux system when you try to enter them.
But they do if you use IE6 via Crossover Office but that defeats the object a bit doesnt it ?

TravisNewman
February 20th, 2005, 08:57 PM
I'd personally stay away from any Linux forums that require MS products to view content.

But seriously, take anything anyone says about a distribution with a grain of salt until you've actually tried it yourself. One man's trash is another's treasure.

poofyhairguy
February 21st, 2005, 01:06 AM
Do you think it is just another case of preference and the fact that most of them havent tried UBUNTU ?

Yes to both questions. Mepis and Slackware are GREAT Kde distros. KDE fans probably haven't given Ubuntu a shot if they bash it like such.

Quest-Master
February 21st, 2005, 07:24 PM
MEPIS is a fantastic Debian-based distro which uses KDE. I'd probably use it if I didn't love Gnome so much.

About the Ubuntu bashing.. all I can say is, tell them to wait till Hoary. ;)