PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Mail Problem

viperce
September 28th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Hi all, I am new to Linux (complete noob) but i somehow managed to get squid proxy server installed.
My problem is my email in outlook express has stopped working (incomming pop3 server is mail.webmail.co.za)

I think i need to install a pop proxy to get this going, can someone recommend a pop proxy that is easy to configure or anything else that could resolve this

thanks

viperce
October 28th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Hi all,

I have installed Ubuntu server & set it up as a proxy server which is working fine,
only problem i am having now is my windows clients can not download from their gmail webmail & hotmail servers using Ms outlook. Could someone please help me with this i have no idea how to fix this.

I have 2 network cards eth0 internal lan <--- and eth1 --> router

ArgusVision
October 28th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Ok dumb starter question. Can they get to those sites with a browser? (They aren't blocked by any ACL's?) Also are SMTP, IMAP and/or POP3 blocked?

viperce
October 28th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Hi all,

I have installed Ubuntu server & set it up as a proxy server which is working fine,
only problem i am having now is my windows clients can not download from their gmail webmail & hotmail servers using Ms outlook. Could someone please help me with this i have no idea how to fix this.

I have 2 network cards eth0 internal lan <--- and eth1 --> router

If you dont know could someone steer me in the right direction..

s.fox
October 28th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Threads merged. Please do not create duplicate threads. Thank you.

viperce
October 28th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Yup can get into the sites no problem using the proxy server....
how do i check if SMTP, IMAP and/or POP3 blocked? i havint blocked them but im not sure if they blocked by default

ArgusVision
October 28th, 2010, 02:39 PM
You said you're using this as a proxy server, what proxy service are you useing? Squid perhaps?

viperce
October 28th, 2010, 02:43 PM
ye using squid proxy server

viperce
October 28th, 2010, 02:51 PM
i setup squid using Webmin interface since i am a noob it seemed to work better for me :)
i can access webmin/gmail no problem through Squid proxy server.
however if i try checking for mail using ms outlook cannot connect to your incomming (POP3) e-mail server, i think i need to forward the ports or something but im not sure..

ArgusVision
October 28th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Ok I'm not a squid expert but I have worked with ACLs before, and webmin (nice tool by the way). Give me a few minutes to check something. A place to start, that was coincedentally in my RSS feed just now, is http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/373872:weekend-project-set-up-squid-on-linux-as-a-caching-web-proxy not what you're looking for but...

ArgusVision
October 28th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Take a look at your squid.conf file

sudo gedit /etc/squid/squid.conf
Look for an entry

acl Safe_ports port 25 # smtp

There should also be an entry that allows IMAP or POP3 depending on what you're using.

It should look like

acl SSL_ports port 443 563 # https, snews

Except change the port number.
Look here for standard port numbers. http://www.emailaddressmanager.com/tips/mail-servers.html

I seem to recall googles port number not being standard though...
You might want to check the settings in your mail client.

ArgusVision
October 28th, 2010, 03:41 PM
You can probably access that ACL list from webmin, but since I'm not right in front of it I can't remember exactly how to get there.

SeijiSensei
October 28th, 2010, 03:43 PM
It sounds like you're proxying all traffic through Squid. Is that really what you want (need) to do? I only proxy HTTP and let all the other services connect directly by masquerading their private IP addresses at the router using iptables.

Using a proxy cache like Squid only makes sense if you have a slow connection and lots of clients, where caching can improve performance, or where you want to control access to web services. Most of the applications I have using Squid are designed for the latter purpose, for instance, blocking downloads of remote executable files by using Squid ACLs.

ArgusVision
October 28th, 2010, 03:51 PM
I suppose you can Google easily as I can, but here are a couple of sites that might help.

http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-setup-transparent-squid-proxy-server-in-ubuntu.html

viperce
October 29th, 2010, 07:27 AM
It sounds like you're proxying all traffic through Squid. Is that really what you want (need) to do? I only proxy HTTP and let all the other services connect directly by masquerading their private IP addresses at the router using iptables.

Using a proxy cache like Squid only makes sense if you have a slow connection and lots of clients, where caching can improve performance, or where you want to control access to web services. Most of the applications I have using Squid are designed for the latter purpose, for instance, blocking downloads of remote executable files by using Squid ACLs.

ye i wanted all the traffic to go through squid, is it not possible to forward traffic on port 110 or 995 through to my router/Internet & bypassing squid?

viperce
October 29th, 2010, 07:32 AM
thanks for all the help Argus.....i added all the ports to the acl list rebooted & it still does not work :(
any other ideas?

viperce
October 29th, 2010, 07:40 AM
just something i picked up while i been trying to sort this out, a few weeks ago i installed a program called firestarter in ubuntu desktop & setup connection sharing through firestarter, for a few minutes it was actually working all traffic on 110 & 993 were being routed directly to webmail & gmail. i got all excited thinking finally i solved the problem then it stopped working (i did not change any settings) and i have been trying ever since to get it going again with no luck :'(

viperce
October 29th, 2010, 12:12 PM
is it posible to do this with masquerading in linux?

SeijiSensei
October 29th, 2010, 03:28 PM
is it posible to do this with masquerading in linux?

Yes, that was the point of my earlier posting.

If eth0 points to the outside interface and eth1 points to the inside interface, then a simple iptables rule like this

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -i eth1 -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE

will rewrite the source address of all traffic sent from inside to outside so it looks like it's coming from the router itself. That's how most routers handle outbound traffic today. As I said, there are good reasons to use Squid in some circumstances, but it's not really designed to proxy all traffic.

There are lots of howto articles on iptables and NAT; just Google.