PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Thinking about Netbook install

VideoRoy
October 28th, 2010, 03:29 AM
I just picked up a refrub HP mini 2102 and so far I like it pretty well with Windows but definitely want to dual but Ubuntu 10.10 or just completely install Ubuntu on the whole drive.

Just getting ready to do the install and just wondering if the consensus now is just to install the desktop version instead of the Netbook remix and load the Unity interface if you want it?

I have done a lot of reading and it seems a number of people have gone this way or just use the regular desktop version any way.

I might try both installs but wondering if folks have found a perference?

Thanks for any thoughts.

mikewhatever
October 28th, 2010, 04:21 AM
Was there supposed to be a consensus? I think it best to run whatever versions live and test extensively. When you decide which version is for you, go ahead and install.

Herman
October 28th, 2010, 04:23 AM
I like the regular Ubuntu in my ASUS 710 EeePC 4G.

Sometimes an extra little bit of effort is required when a window doesn't fit the small screen, and especially if there's a button I need to click and it's way down out of site below the bottom of the tiny monitor screen.
When that happens I just hold the 'Alt' key and grab the edge of the window with my mouse to drag it up until I can reach the buttons I'm looking for.

Apart from that slight inconvenience, I prefer to keep using the same desktop as my other computers running Ubuntu have, for the sake of uniformity and because I'm lazy and I don't want to have to adjust to a different arrangement.

I have some nieces and nephews though, who have a HP netbook which came pre-installed with Ubuntu Netbook Remix and they love it, it only seemed to take them a few minutes to learn their way around in it. They took to it like ducks to water.

I guess it depends on how adaptable you are compared with how much you're attached to the regular Ubuntu desktop.

VideoRoy
October 28th, 2010, 04:29 AM
Was there supposed to be a consensus? I think it best to run whatever versions live and test extensively. When you decide which version is for you, go ahead and install.

Nope, I have no expectations. I just appreciate all the time that folks here give for free and experienced advice.

VideoRoy
October 28th, 2010, 04:33 AM
I like the regular Ubuntu in my ASUS 710 EeePC 4G.

Sometimes an extra little bit of effort is required when a window doesn't fit the small screen, and especially if there's a button I need to click and it's way down out of site below the bottom of the tiny monitor screen.
When that happens I just hold the 'Alt' key and grab the edge of the window with my mouse to drag it up until I can reach the buttons I'm looking for.

Apart from that slight inconvenience, I prefer to keep using the same desktop as my other computers running Ubuntu have, for the sake of uniformity and because I'm lazy and I don't want to have to adjust to a different arrangement.

I have some nieces and nephews though, who have a HP netbook which came pre-installed with Ubuntu Netbook Remix and they love it, it only seemed to take them a few minutes to learn their way around in it. They took to it like ducks to water.

I guess it depends on how adaptable you are compared with how much you're attached to the regular Ubuntu desktop.

Thanks for the reply. I am not that much attached to the desktop but I have become pretty familar with it.

I am thinking along the lines of install the desktop version to get my hardware install properly which seems to be a headache lately for me. Since I know my way around pretty well I am hoping that will make things easier.

Gskellig
October 28th, 2010, 05:09 AM
I recently installed desktop edition on my eeepc, and after about an hour of trying to get everything the right size (fonts, windows, task bars, spacing, etc) I just gave up and decided it'd make more sense to go with UNR.

VideoRoy
October 28th, 2010, 07:16 PM
I recently installed desktop edition on my eeepc, and after about an hour of trying to get everything the right size (fonts, windows, task bars, spacing, etc) I just gave up and decided it'd make more sense to go with UNR.

Thanks for the reply.

I went the desktop route but only spent a couple of hours with it and did not even get to the fonts / task bar yet. My 2 main problems were wireless did not work and the synaptic touchpad has a couple of issues.

I fixed the wireless after some searching on the general Broadcom issues and just found the long thread on the touchpad issues. I am guessing these would probably still be the same issues in the remix.

My eyesight is not that great any more so I am going to load up the Unity interface after all and see if helps and if I cannot fix the other hardware config problems I may reinstall with UNR just to see the difference since I do not have much time invested in the install yet.

IeU
October 29th, 2010, 01:22 PM
I have installed the desktop version of ubuntu on my desktop and have already configured everything i want.

I would like to ask, if there is a way to install unity. So that at the login i can choose btw gnome or unity.

Ichtyandr
October 29th, 2010, 01:26 PM
just install "ubuntu-netbook" metapackage from Synaptic and that should work

does anyone use up Xubuntu on netbook, or knows a howto on how to optimize for one?

VideoRoy
October 29th, 2010, 02:29 PM
I did just went to synatic and searched on "Unity" and installed what it recommended. I am now able to switch between Desktop and Unity interface on login on.

I have to say I usually like to customize a lot but I am really liking the simple big icon of Unity. My kids thought I had a Mac :)