PDA

View Full Version : Evernote 4.0 works in Ubunut!!!

hambone79
October 28th, 2010, 01:44 AM
I just noticed the other day that Evernote was updated to version 4.0. After reading through the release notes, I discovered that version 4.0 is a complete rewrite of the application in C++ (no more .NET framework). Since it no longer depends on the .NET framework, I decided to try installing it on my laptop running Ubuntu 10.10. I'm extremely happy to say that Evernote 4.0 runs almost perfectly under WINE in Ubuntu 10.10. The only issue I have seen is that it gets a little sluggish when switching between notebooks. Other than that, I have full access to all of my notes without all the ugly icon issues that were there with version 3.1.

hambone79
October 28th, 2010, 01:44 AM
Wow...title fail...I misspelled Ubuntu.

TheNessus
October 28th, 2010, 02:07 AM
Wow...title fail...I misspelled Ubuntu.

I didn't notice until you said it :)

Quadunit404
October 28th, 2010, 02:20 AM
What's Ubunut? Never heard of it :wink:

pt123
October 28th, 2010, 02:38 AM
lol as Windows desktop applications stay away from .Net , Linux desktop applications move towards it.
There is reason why MS never develop their main desktop applications in .net.

Spr0k3t
October 28th, 2010, 04:05 AM
lol as Windows desktop applications stay away from .Net , Linux desktop applications move towards it.
There is reason why MS never develop their main desktop applications in .net.

The major difference, developers of Linux software tend to be better code designers.

rAllcorn
October 5th, 2012, 05:00 PM
You pulled me off the grid while searching with a response that Evernote works in Ubuntu. It doesn't. What is does is work in Mac OSx and in Windows.

You have to run a virtual Windows or Mac session ...
or use WINE (a Windows session)
or install NIXNOTE (which still falls short of Evernote in functionality)

I hope that one day we WILL have a LINUX version of Evernote.
Thanks for sharing your info ... but remember, just because we can do it on a system running LINUX as the native OS does not mean it runs in LINUX ... not if we're also running a virtual session of something else to make it happen.

-rAllcorn-
Richard A. Allcorn
email: richard@allcorn.us

I just noticed the other day that Evernote was updated to version 4.0. After reading through the release notes, I discovered that version 4.0 is a complete rewrite of the application in C++ (no more .NET framework). Since it no longer depends on the .NET framework, I decided to try installing it on my laptop running Ubuntu 10.10. I'm extremely happy to say that Evernote 4.0 runs almost perfectly under WINE in Ubuntu 10.10. The only issue I have seen is that it gets a little sluggish when switching between notebooks. Other than that, I have full access to all of my notes without all the ugly icon issues that were there with version 3.1.

MG&TL
October 5th, 2012, 05:14 PM
or use WINE (a Windows session)
or install NIXNOTE (which still falls short of Evernote in functionality)

1. I know what you mean, but Wine Is Not an Emulator. Don't say 'session', it's misleading. Thanks! :)

2. So...go make it better! That's the best thing about open-source.

Elfy
October 5th, 2012, 05:28 PM
Closed.