PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Adobe fails to start!

Ceiber Boy
October 27th, 2010, 10:42 PM
I installed Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit, downloaded Adobe reader '.bin', from the terminal

$chmod a+x 'file name'.bin
$./'file name'.bin

it extracted and asked me for a installation location, to which i put [~]

it then finished the installation.

but when i click on the icon in the start menu or on desktop it fails to start, when i also click on a .pdf document it also fails to start!

I'm stumped!

any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

efflandt
October 28th, 2010, 04:43 AM
It does not run because ~ is not in your PATH. You should have created a bin directory in your home directory (mkdir ~/bin). Then if you just wanted it for you only you should have installed it to ~/bin

Next time you logged in your bin would have been automatically included in your path:

echo $PATH
/home/efflandt/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games

I was going to suggest adding your home directory to your PATH (in ~/.profile), but that is not normally accepted practice. Programs (binaries) are usually in a bin directory.

But you could create a bin directory and then put a symlink there that points to the Acrobat reader.

mkdir ~/bin
link -s ~/acroread_or_whatever ~/bin/. (with the dot at the end)
log out of X, log back in, and see if it works.

I just haven't used the Acrobat Reader in Linux for a long time, so I don't know if it is still called acroread or something else.

Ceiber Boy
October 28th, 2010, 05:57 AM
It does not run because ~ is not in your PATH. You should have created a bin directory in your home directory (mkdir ~/bin). Then if you just wanted it for you only you should have installed it to ~/bin

Next time you logged in your bin would have been automatically included in your path:

echo $PATH
/home/efflandt/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games

I was going to suggest adding your home directory to your PATH (in ~/.profile), but that is not normally accepted practice. Programs (binaries) are usually in a bin directory.

But you could create a bin directory and then put a symlink there that points to the Acrobat reader.

mkdir ~/bin
link -s ~/acroread_or_whatever ~/bin/. (with the dot at the end)
log out of X, log back in, and see if it works.

I just haven't used the Acrobat Reader in Linux for a long time, so I don't know if it is still called acroread or something else.

Thank you for replying.

So.. I should of installed it in the '/bin/' folder in the root directory?