PDA

View Full Version : New Ubuntu-based distro

sky_ceiling
October 27th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Hi

I am planning to make a Ubuntu spin (plan on making it a distro in it's own right, a la Linux Mint). The premise behind this would be tyo be able to do anything out of the box, and minus the bloat of Ultimate Edition ( no 4 Desktop Environments, or of anything for that matter), and plan to have a one-program-per-function approach.

with this in mind, could anybody please tell me the program or type of program) that they would like to see included in a Ubuntu spin.

The initial release will be GNOME, but I plan to release a separate KDE version (with KDE programs)

cariboo
October 27th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose of most linux distributions? Personally I'll use a different way to do something, depending on how I feel for example:

I may use the command line to move a file
I may open a terminal and use mc to move a file
I may use nautilus to move a file.

They all use the same command in different ways.

Sylslay
October 27th, 2010, 09:51 PM
I always install :

vlc ---> for play movies
smplayler

real player ---> for play radios
gnome player ----> for qiuck play mp3

use rythmbox for make playlist etc,
WinFF - for converting media files

mc - install midnight commander, becosue I liked Dos Navigator or Norton for editing text fiels.

others:

unetbootin
flsash plugin,

Perfect Storm
October 27th, 2010, 09:52 PM
In my personally opinion we have enough of spins. That said: why not make one that under installation lets you choose which apps/libs/DE/more you want to install. Like they have in Mandriva but instead of the stuff on CDs/DVDs, it will download it directly via the repositories.

Just a thought. That will bring something new into all of these spins.

sky_ceiling
October 28th, 2010, 11:48 AM
@cariboo907

Valid point. I do intend to keep command line options open, as this will be a neccesity if things go wrong for the end user (as well as for the power users that prefer command line). What i want to avoid is having two 3D modelling programs, three DVD rippers etc.

@artificial intelligence

I will take a look at the ubiquity source code tonight to see what i can do. I am not much of am experienced coder however

@Sylslay

Thanks for the suggestions. I totally forgot about midnight commander!

szymon_g
October 28th, 2010, 11:53 AM
oh, no, not another one...

Spice Weasel
October 28th, 2010, 11:53 AM
http://www.linuxmint.com/
http://www.geteasypeasy.com/
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=jolicloud
http://pinguy-os.sourceforge.net/
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=zorin

It's been done too many times before.

sky_ceiling
October 28th, 2010, 12:06 PM
http://www.linuxmint.com/
http://www.geteasypeasy.com/
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=jolicloud
http://pinguy-os.sourceforge.net/
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=zorin

It's been done too many times before.

those are all general-purpose average user distros are they not?

Im planning a power-user spin, minus the unnecessary bloat of, say, Ultimate Edition

Spice Weasel
October 28th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Power users don't care if everything works out of the box if they can type a simple command to get everything to work.

sky_ceiling
October 28th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Power users don't care if everything works out of the box if they can type a simple command to get everything to work.

fair point. Still gna build it anyway just to see what i can and cant do (and i dont mean mere pulling stuff off repos and rebranding)

I do actually want to do something different ;)

limestone
October 28th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Ah, not another Ubuntu clone :( Are'nt you sick of these things?
Build a distro from scratch or from another distro but Ubuntu.
Enought already.

limestone
October 28th, 2010, 12:28 PM
In my personally opinion we have enough of spins. That said: why not make one that under installation lets you choose which apps/libs/DE/more you want to install. Like they have in Mandriva but instead of the stuff on CDs/DVDs, it will download it directly via the repositories.

Or even better. Arch or Slackware where you absolutely get what you want.

m4tic
October 28th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Oh boy, another one. What I would suggest is that rather than copying the whole OS, make a single package of your favourite programs like this Ubuntu-restricted-extras offline installer (http://hacktolive.org/wiki/Ubuntu-restricted-extras_offline_installer).

The dude above me is flooding the thread.

limestone
October 28th, 2010, 12:37 PM
The dude above me is flooding the thread.

I lagged, sorry :P
I have reported that.

Perfect Storm
October 28th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Or even better. Arch or Slackware where you absolutely get what you want.

Aye, but if he really want to make it an Ubuntu spin-of I think he should do like that. Then he avoiding a spin-off that looks/do the same like the rest.

</This was typed from netinstalled Arch 64 ;)>

Duplicates taking care of, pont.andersson.

wojox
October 28th, 2010, 01:11 PM
I'm all for it. I've found Ubuntu spin-off's usually work better than Ubuntu. :)

slackthumbz
October 28th, 2010, 01:32 PM
You hear that? that's the sound of a million palms hitting a million faces in unison at the thought of yet another ubuntu spin/remix. This particular wheel has been re-invented way too many times.

t0p
October 28th, 2010, 01:45 PM
An Ubuntu for "power users" huh? Ive already got one. It's called Ubuntu. You ought to try it some time.

Seriously though, if you want to create a distro. please go ahead and do it. There are nowhere near enough Linux distros out there - check out distrowatch.com (http://distrowatch.com/), there's almost nothing there! Especially Ubuntu-based variants.

A distro based on Windows 98 would be another good idea. Or Windows ME. Get rid of all that stupid security rubbish that devs insist on putting in Linux. If I want to run as root, by default, why should I have to jump through hoops? I want my Linux-running computers to become laden with spyware and whatnot. Being part of a botnet is what the internet's all about, no?

slackthumbz
October 28th, 2010, 01:49 PM
An Ubuntu for "power users" huh? Ive already got one. It's called Ubuntu. You ought to try it some time.

Seriously though, if you want to create a distro. please go ahead and do it. There are nowhere near enough Linux distros out there - check out distrowatch.com (http://distrowatch.com/), there's almost nothing there! Especially Ubuntu-based variants.

A distro based on Windows 98 would be another good idea. Or Windows ME. Get rid of all that stupid security rubbish that devs insist on putting in Linux. If I want to run as root, by default, why should I have to jump through hoops? I want my Linux-running computers to become laden with spyware and whatnot. Being part of a botnet is what the internet's all about, no?

You sir, win an internet :lolflag:

linux-hack
October 28th, 2010, 01:56 PM
I'm all for it. I've found Ubuntu spin-off's usually work better than Ubuntu. :)

Best example = LINUX MINT :D

anyway I think there are too many spin offs of Ubuntu. Why not make a spin of arch linux or freeBSD for example ?

slackthumbz
October 28th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Best example = LINUX MINT :D

anyway I think there are too many spin offs of Ubuntu. Why not make a spin of arch linux or freeBSD for example ?

Pretty sure there's already a spin off of FreeBSD, it's called OS X ;)

m4tic
October 28th, 2010, 02:06 PM
This should be called piracy, maybe it will stop. Try Haiku then people will applaud.

slackthumbz
October 28th, 2010, 02:22 PM
This should be called piracy, maybe it will stop. Try Haiku then people will applaud.

2 syllables too long.

CharlesA
October 28th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Stay on topic please.

Thanks.

sky_ceiling
October 28th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Sigh... Point taken. No point fixing what aint broke ;)

Im now considering either a debian or LFS base, should be more interesting :)

CharlesA
October 28th, 2010, 05:14 PM
LFS would be an.. interesting one to start with. ;)

MooPi
October 28th, 2010, 05:22 PM

Just a thought. That will bring something new into all of these spins.

I have liked this idea for Ubuntu as well. Start with the minimal install then on first boot you're prompted to pick your favorites from a possible list, with the option to add missing apps . I have used this method in a similar function for some time. I have a script the I use to install my favorites after a minimal install.

sky_ceiling
October 28th, 2010, 05:32 PM
LFS would be an.. interesting one to start with. ;)

not to mention insanely difficult for a first timer... sign me up :P

CharlesA
October 28th, 2010, 05:45 PM
I have liked this idea for Ubuntu as well. Start with the minimal install then on first boot you're prompted to pick your favorites from a possible list, with the option to add missing apps . I have used this method in a similar function for some time. I have a script the I use to install my favorites after a minimal install.

I've got a script that does that after a normal install. :P

not to mention insanely difficult for a first timer... sign me up :P

It would be a hell of a learning experience, that's for sure. :D

sky_ceiling
October 28th, 2010, 05:56 PM

It would be a hell of a learning experience, that's for sure. :D

hence i wanted to make a Ubuntu spin at first... ;)

Perfect Storm
October 28th, 2010, 05:57 PM

/facepalm

I got a script that install everything from the repositories, plus all known PPAs, and when it's done the sript uninstall all of it. :P

CharlesA
October 28th, 2010, 06:17 PM
/facepalm

I got a script that install everything from the repositories, plus all known PPAs, and when it's done the sript uninstall all of it. :P

:P

I haven't actually done a minimal install, so I don't really know what the difference is between the two (except less packages). But I am using the server install version, so I don't know what I'd gain by doing a minimal install.

alanmoore78
October 28th, 2010, 08:30 PM
I was under the impression that Ubuntu does not include certain things because of legal matters. Wouldn't those same legal matters then apply to your new distribution? If Adobe or nVidia or whoever doesn't want their drivers or plugins or programs or extensions given away in an operating system, then that's their thing. I have no problem downloading things after the fact. It gives me a feeling that I have control over what does and doesn't go in my computer.

Spice Weasel
October 28th, 2010, 08:32 PM
:P

I haven't actually done a minimal install, so I don't really know what the difference is between the two (except less packages). But I am using the server install version, so I don't know what I'd gain by doing a minimal install.

Server install uses the server kernel, whereas the minimal install does not.

KdotJ
October 28th, 2010, 09:52 PM
To the topic at hand, I don't really think another *buntu will take off in the main line, and people can get pretty much the same thing by installing the Ubuntu minimal iso, or even another "power" distro

However, I wish you all the luck with it. Building an operating system is a giant task, especially if you aren't the best coder (as you said). It would be good to see how it turns out

ezsit
October 28th, 2010, 10:43 PM
The premise behind this would be tyo be able to do anything out of the box, and minus the bloat of Ultimate Edition ( no 4 Desktop Environments, or of anything for that matter), and plan to have a one-program-per-function approach.

There are at least a half dozen of these respins floating around. Just do it for your own pleasure and see what happens.

Asking for advice on this is like asking for people to suggest which of the 31 flavors they like the best because you want to open a Baskins Robbins type store, just with fewer flavors - just the best ones!

For example:
Klik-It
Pioneer
MagicOS
RevOS
PC/OS
Ultimate
SuperOS
Mint
Peppermint
gOS
UbuntuChristian

And I'm not even scratching the surface. There have been plenty others. Good luck, but most of these projects fail. There just isn't the need for so much duplication.

WinterMadness
October 29th, 2010, 01:14 AM
you should make it so that when you double click on a program that doesnt have permission to run it prompts you(gui) for the su password by default.

this should include scripts.

Sporkman
October 29th, 2010, 02:02 AM
I think that anybody considering doing a new Ubuntu-based distro should do it with a non-linux kernel. :)

That would at least add a little challenge & spice to the mix.

Challenge: Spin an Ubuntu variant with the freeDOS kernel... Or the Kolibri kernel.

CharlesA
October 29th, 2010, 02:21 AM
Server install uses the server kernel, whereas the minimal install does not.

Not to derail the thread.. but.. are there any other differences besides that?

Thanks.

linux-hack
October 29th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Pretty sure there's already a spin off of FreeBSD, it's called OS X ;)

Yes I know, I'm using it :guitar:

But an OpenSource spin off would be grate :popcorn:

linux-hack
October 29th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Why not a solaris spin off. So we can take advantage of the zfs magic :)

sky_ceiling
October 31st, 2010, 07:52 PM
laptop charger is broke. Cant do much atm. I am taking the LFS route to see where i get.