PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Asus Eee PC 900AX freezing, please fix this bug for default installs

aaricus
October 27th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Hi all,

I have recently bought 2 Asus Eee PC 900AX and they work pretty great with Ubuntu 32 bit desktop edition (which I install via a USB stick).

There is one minor issue I don't care too much about, but the brightness controls are broken, they only function in the dim or bright setting -- in other words there is no other setting like there is under Windows XP Home which was what it came with.

The other problem is far more serious and causes the entire system to become totally unresponsive, the mouse cursor still moves but nothing works except ctrl-alt-shift-f2 but no commands work from the prompt, you basically have to hold the power button to forcibly power off the system, and upon turning it back on, it works normally again.

It only freezes sometimes, other times when you turn it on, it works perfectly.

This website I found on Google is a link to someone with the same exact problem and he also lists a solution http://projectgus.com/2010/10/ubuntu-on-asus-eeepc-900ax/ it's too complicated for me to do though.

Is there any chance of a fix being pushed out via the software updater to address this issue please?

Thanks.

aaricus
January 3rd, 2011, 04:30 AM
Bump.

Still unable to use Ubuntu on either of my Asus EEEPC 900AX netbooks, due to this freezing issue related to the wifi.

I even resorted to disabling wifi in the bios, and plugging in a USB WiFi stick, but it doesn't work because Ubuntu detects the fact that the in built wifi is disabled and you have to enable it in order to use the USB stick one....