PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I burn the install disk to be a bootup cd

guest100
October 27th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Hello,

I'm running Windows7 and want to burn a bootup cd for the ubuntu 10.10 install. I already burned the ubuntu ISO image and the cd works under windows explorer, but my pc will not boot from the CD so I can start the install?

I don't want to run Windows and Ubuntu, I just want Ubuntu as the only system.

I've made sure that my bios will boot the the cd drive first, but it says the ubuntu cd is not a valid boot device? Is there a way to make the ubuntu disk a bootable cd?

any help will be appreciated...

Thanks,
eb.

ratcheer
October 27th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Are you sure you wrote the CD as an ISO image, or did you just copy the file to the CD? There is a difference.

Tim

guest100
October 27th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Hello,

Yes, I burned the ISO image. The installation starts in Windows explorer and gives me 3 options....

1. demo and full installation
2. install inside windows
3. Learn more

I pick number 1 and it says I need to reboot. Naturally the install cd should be a bootable cd, but apparently mine isn't. I've already made sure my pc boots to the cd. I've tested it with a windows XP install cd and it works, but not the Ubuntu?

eb.

mikewhatever
October 27th, 2010, 09:00 PM
You probably need to access the BIOS and change the boot order so that it tries booting from cdrom first. To access the BIOS, you need to hit a key at boot. Different computers have different keys DEL, F10, F12, etc.

guest100
October 27th, 2010, 09:07 PM
OK, I got ubuntu to boot up. The install CD loaded some kind of boot program in windows. When my pc rebooted, it gave me the option of picking Windows or Ubuntu. I chose Ubuntu, and now I guess I'm in the demo mode. It has a install icon on the top right which I've picked, but now it won't install on the partition I want. It keeps saying something about "no root file system defined, correct this in the partitioning menu". I have no idea how to fix this problem?

guest100
October 27th, 2010, 09:18 PM
OK, this just isn't working... I'm stopping for now. Thanks for the folks who replied to my posts and maybe I'll try linux in the future.

Best,
eb.

mikewhatever
October 28th, 2010, 12:31 AM
I agree, there is no need to rush things. Run in from cd (the demo mode), check if all hardware is working, review an installation guide of your choice, then try installing.