PDA

View Full Version : suggestion Java IDE (Linux)

rreyes3713
October 27th, 2010, 07:16 PM
What's your favorite Java IDE?

I've taken course in Java but using the vi editor and compiling at the command line (yeah, I know, old school).

I would like a Java IDE that easy on the learning curve before I go to the "bells & whistle: IDEs.

Any suggestions?

brydonhunter
October 27th, 2010, 08:18 PM
I've tried both Eclipse and Netbeans, both great products. I personally prefer Eclipse.

tacticalbread
October 27th, 2010, 08:29 PM
When I used Java, I tried both Netbeans and Eclipse as well, and I prefered Netbeans. :p

Also, not Java specific, but Geany is a great light weight IDE as well.

rreyes3713
October 27th, 2010, 08:49 PM
brydonhunter, tacticalbread, thanks guys.

Those two IDEs were suggested on another forum so you two pretty much confirm they're pretty good.

Once again, thanks guys.

r-senior
October 27th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Get to grips with Maven and, apart from the benefits of Maven itself, the IDE matters less. All the major IDEs will work with Maven projects.

lykeion
October 28th, 2010, 10:26 AM
I'd agree that Geany is a good light-weight IDE. And also that maven is good tool to learn. Personally I use IntelliJ Idea as Java IDE.

KdotJ
October 28th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Netbeans is good, and so is Eclipse. I use Netbeans as I use it in university but I would pick either really. Although Netbeans is great if you want drag-and-drop GUI building

mainerror
October 28th, 2010, 10:43 AM
I use Eclipse. Mainly because of the Android plugins integration.

korn101
October 28th, 2010, 05:21 PM
I've recently started Java after moving to Ubuntu.

I've programmed in BASIC, VB6, C#, C++, a bit of basic assembly.

I've tried both Eclipse & NetBeans 6.9, But Being somewhat of a Java 'beginner' I find NetBeans a lot more user friendly and easier to use/navigate.

But, from what I've seen, most experienced or advanced Java programmers use Eclipse. Like Notch for example ( The developer of the hit indie/adventure/building/awesomest game ever: Minecraft)

CptPicard
October 28th, 2010, 05:55 PM
But, from what I've seen, most experienced or advanced Java programmers use Eclipse. Like Notch for example ( The developer of the hit indie/adventure/building/awesomest game ever: Minecraft)

I'm not sure it correlates like that in any sense; Eclipse just is more popular in general. They do all the basic things right pretty much the same; Eclipse has more plugins but their configuration can sometimes (read: often) be messy; while on the other hand Netbeans has awesome functionality integration across the board. It also had great, intelligent XML editing for all kinds of document types (try the maven pom editor for example), and the J2EE functionality has been remarkably solid and working out of the box for ages, while I guess Eclipse still makes you fiddle with your servers and deployments and whatnot much more. I haven't tried Eclipse in recent times in that regard though because I became such a biased Netbeans user a long time ago.

mainerror
October 28th, 2010, 06:25 PM
I'm not sure it correlates like that in any sense; Eclipse just is more popular in general. They do all the basic things right pretty much the same; Eclipse has more plugins but their configuration can sometimes (read: often) be messy; while on the other hand Netbeans has awesome functionality integration across the board. It also had great, intelligent XML editing for all kinds of document types (try the maven pom editor for example), and the J2EE functionality has been remarkably solid and working out of the box for ages, while I guess Eclipse still makes you fiddle with your servers and deployments and whatnot much more. I haven't tried Eclipse in recent times in that regard though because I became such a biased Netbeans user a long time ago.

I'm not quite sure how it was back then when you switched to Netbeans but I have not had any issues with the configuration part of Eclipse yet.

However I guess it all comes down to personal preference. I've tired Netbeans too and sure it is not a bad IDE but I just happen to like Eclipse more.

brydonhunter
October 28th, 2010, 07:29 PM
I think that what is important is that the OP asked for beginners. Both Netbeans and Eclispe while "professorial" tools, a newbie can easily learn the very basic and learn the IDE as he learns the language.