PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Upgrade 10.04->10.10 - No display...not sure where to go from here

Chutler
October 27th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Last night and this morning I attempted to update from 10.4 to 10.10 using the alternate CD. Only step I took that was not default was not replacing GRUB. I dual boot between Win7 and Ubuntu and didn't want to go through the GRUB modification again if I didn't have to. The upgrade seemed to go without a hitch and I attempted a restart.

I restarted from the 10.4 GUI and the machine rebooted to an eggplant background with Ubuntu 10.10 in a system font (http://launchpadlibrarian.net/57435662/PA100007.JPG) (skipped GRUB), "[end]" appeared on the page nad then my display went blank. This isn't a black screen. The display isn't getting any signal at all but the machine is still on and running. I powered down, restart the box and arrived at the GRUB. I chose the first Ubuntu entry, got the eggplant loading screen described above and again - no signal to the display.

Where to go from here?

System Specs:
Processor: AMD Phenom II X3 720
MB: Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P
RAM: 4GB DDR3-1333 Ripjaws
Video: Radeon HD4670
Optical: Samsung DVD Burner
HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb

Fafler
October 27th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Sound like a problem with your X server/ATI driver.
Can you boot in safe mode or whatever it's called? Then try reinstalling the ATI driver.
You can also do it through the console, but it's a bit more hassle. Ask if you need help with thet.

Chutler
October 27th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Sound like a problem with your X server/ATI driver.
Can you boot in safe mode or whatever it's called? Then try reinstalling the ATI driver.
You can also do it through the console, but it's a bit more hassle. Ask if you need help with thet.

I assume that 'recovery mode' is essentially Ubuntu safe mode, correct?

Fafler
October 28th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Exactly ;-)

Chutler
October 28th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Ta-Da. Thank you that totally worked. I thought I was battling a much bigger issue.

I logged in recovery mode, using the simple graphical interface and then searched for drivers. The thrid-party ATI drivers were found and installed. A restart later and I was in tip-top shape. Thanks very much.