PDA

View Full Version : NOOKColor -- the first real Android Tablet?

samalex
October 27th, 2010, 03:37 PM
I'm reading about the NOOKColor (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nookcolor/) which was just announced this week, and it looks like they're rolling out NOOKDeveloper (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nookcolor/developer/index.asp?cds2Pid=35666&linkid=1640587) pushing how simple it is to develop apps for the Nook since it's Android based. Anyone know if there'll be a crossover between Android apps for phones and the Nook? With a 7" screen and Wifi enabled it's a great platform for app development, especially for people who've already gotten their feet wet with writing apps for phones? Or I wonder if B&N will maintain their own app store for Nook apps.

If the browser supports Flash (which I don't think it currently does) then it'll be an awesome device.

Tristam Green
October 27th, 2010, 06:45 PM
It won't have access to the Android Market.

LMP900
October 27th, 2010, 07:16 PM
I've always considered the Samsung Galaxy Tab to be the first "real" (i.e. legitimate competitor) Android tablet. Like Tristam Green said, it won't have access to the market and will likely be an e-reader with extra features rather than a full-blown tablet. Great price and a promising screen, though.

Tristam Green
October 27th, 2010, 07:53 PM
I've always considered the Samsung Galaxy Tab to be the first "real" (i.e. legitimate competitor) Android tablet. Like Tristam Green said, it won't have access to the market and will likely be an e-reader with extra features rather than a full-blown tablet. Great price and a promising screen, though.

i wouldn't even call it an e-reader. e-ink makes an e-reader.

it's too much to be an e-reader, yet not enough to call a tablet (i.e. i doubt it will have fullscreen touch)

WanderingOak
October 27th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Well, I have a PanDigital e-reader, and it works pretty well as a Droid tablet. The people over at SlateDroid (http://www.slatedroid.com/pandigital-novel-android-tablet-discussion/)have done a lot of work with it.

forrestcupp
October 27th, 2010, 09:02 PM
I've always considered the Samsung Galaxy Tab to be the first "real" (i.e. legitimate competitor) Android tablet.

The Archos 101 Internet Tablet is pretty competitive with some great features at $300.

Johnsie
October 28th, 2010, 10:33 AM
There have already been android tablets on Ebay for quite some time. Most of them are made in China and have low spec hardware with old versions of Android.

pwnst*r
October 28th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Not even sure how they can bother calling that a Nook with no e-ink tech.

PC_load_letter
October 28th, 2010, 04:43 PM
i wouldn't even call it an e-reader. e-ink makes an e-reader.

it's too much to be an e-reader, yet not enough to call a tablet (i.e. i doubt it will have fullscreen touch)

It looks to me (watching the engadget video yesterday) that it does have full screen touch sensitivity, here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-t0zkCqENo

era86
October 28th, 2010, 05:33 PM
There's no "i" in front of it, it's not a tablet....

Haha! It's a locked down device, until it's hacked, which might make it a fun toy for geeks. And since it doesn't have e-ink, I don't consider it a reader.

samalex
October 28th, 2010, 06:14 PM
I agree with you guys in that calling the Nook Color an eReader is a stretch since it doesn't use the eInk display. I could see this being awesome for comics/graphic novels, magazines, news papers, and children's books, but I've tried reading a book on an LCD screen and I just can't do it. I've checked out the Kindle and Nook (original) and I love the eInk display which seems perfect for reading, but I think the Nook Color lost its mark by calling itself an eReader and not a Tablet.

I know Google has said Android isn't ready for a tablet yet, which I understand that, but by B&N pushing Developers to create content for the Nook Color and if they have their own App Store, I could see LOTS of people getting into coding for an Android Tablet whenever Android 3 comes out and hopefully more Android tablets to follow.

For me though, unless the Nook Color has Flash it's a deal breaker. I don't care for Flash, but it's just the route so many websites take to get their content out there whether it be streaming video/audio, menus, or even some sites using Flash as a type of DRM to lock their content down as to not be easily copied.

At any rate I think the Nook Color is in that 'middle of the road' stage between an eReader and Tablet, so I'm curious to see how people will use it which will I think dictate how it's labeled.

Tristam Green
October 29th, 2010, 12:46 PM
why would it have flash at the get-go? It already only has 8 hours of battery life (with wireless OFF). allowing any video playback would severely hinder its already mediocre battery life.

LMP900
October 29th, 2010, 05:11 PM
The Archos 101 Internet Tablet is pretty competitive with some great features at $300.

Wow, it's apparently thinner and lighter than an iPad, even with a slightly larger screen. However, I couldn't find whether or not it had the Android Market enabled. I'd consider it a competitor if it did. Also, I have doubts on the battery life - a critical factor in a tablet.

DuncanWatson
October 30th, 2010, 11:53 PM
I have a nook classic. The nook color does have full screen touch and I think it will be a very successful device. No data plan and a good price plus good screen and hardware means it will be successful. Since I have a nook already I will get my feet wet on the nook color early on. I am looking forward to it and think it will be quite popular once we can get our hands on it to really compare things.

-Duncan