PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 10.10 installation problem

maddy_in65
October 27th, 2010, 08:08 AM
I am trying to install ubuntu 10.10 on my compaq laptop. Every thing goes till copying files, but installation freezes after user account creation. Installation bar freezes after it shows "Ready when you are". All options like skip, Forward grayed out. Please help to complete installation. I have attached error screenshot for the same.
BTW this is quad booting system with vista, suse, fedora, ubuntu 9.10. Now I am trying to replace ubuntu 9.10 by fresh installation on the same partition.

maddy_in65
October 27th, 2010, 10:25 AM
60 Views no reply, can any one please solve this issue. I lost grub hence i cant use my system. I need my system back for important work.

cogier
October 27th, 2010, 12:08 PM
I would download a copy of the "Alternative CD" from here http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/alternative-download and try installing with it.

Mark Phelps
October 27th, 2010, 06:29 PM
60 Views no reply, can any one please solve this issue.
Coming back whining after only a couple of hours is NOT the way to encourage folks to help you. Show a little patience -- we're all volunteers here.

I need my system back for important work.
Then ... either you (1) SHOULD have made an image backup BEFORE you attempted the upgrade, so could then have restored your earlier working system, or (2) you should NOT have attempted the upgrade when you had pending "important work".

And, WHICH system do you need back ... Vista? IF so, stick in your Vista DVD and run Startup Repair -- three times.

As to SUSE and Fedora, sorry, don't use those; these are the Ubuntu forums and only use that.

Clodzilla
October 27th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Make sure your username is all lowercase. I had that problem a few days back. :-)

BKHAM
October 28th, 2010, 11:24 AM
I also have problems after loading Ubuntu 10.10 netbook onto my acerone Linux version. I loaded Ubuntu alongside Linux light but have no options to start Linux lite during booting. Holding shift key lets me see grub but no linux lite option available. When I check disk partitions it appears to still be there. Any ideas

nssriharsha
October 28th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Make sure your username is all lowercase. I had that problem a few days back. :-)

Hi,

I'm too facing the same problem, any reason as to what might be the issue.............
Below i've attached the screenshot of the same.

Any help is appreciated

Regards,

nssriharsha
October 28th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Hi,

I'm too facing the same problem, any reason as to what might be the issue.............
It would be nice if you can share me the solution if the issue has been resolved

Any help is appreciated

Regards,

peskykid82
October 29th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Hi all,

1st I would like to say 2 things ... this forum looks great! packed with incredible info!!! and 2nd I hope I'm posting in the proper forum..

I have super problems Installing Ubuntu... I will give you as much info as I can and hopefully I can succeed in the install one of these days..

About a year ago I built my own computer... Top notch specs..

-. (http://www.newegg.com/Index.aspx?name=Home) Asus Maximus II Formula LGA 775
- Intel Core II Extreme QX9970 Yorkfield 3.2Ghz Quad Core
- 16GB DDR2
- (3) 1.5TB HD's...
.... bla bla bla...

OK I installed Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit OS... used it for a few months then I tried to install ubuntu dual boot style... Screwed that all up where windows wouldn't load, but Ubuntu loaded fine.

After fooling around with ubuntu for a while with the problems that I caused trying to do the dual boot I put windows back on the machine.

Now here we are... I have had some problems with windows and after installing ubuntu on my buddy's laptop and saw how awesome it actually is. I came home and I had every intention to put Ubuntu on my system as the sole OS..

Here are the problems.. I downloaded Ubuntu 10.04, 10.10 (64-bit & 32-bit) burned each one to disc.. ran checksum all is fine. BTW i thought the problem might have been with Ubuntu so I also tried Kubuntu..
Sounds silly but I was ripping the hair out of my head trying to figure this out... the problem is present with ALL of the above OS's and versions..

Put disc in machine.. Power down machine.. Restart Machine.. Boot from Disc...
Now I hear the disc spinning up like normal.. The default "purple" ubuntu wallpaper appears on the screen and thats it... all finished.. I let it sit there for up to 37 minutes... did this several times...

I was reading on net and came across someone who said while disc is spinning up press F6... i did... now the menu comes up.. (try ubuntu, install ubuntu, check disk, check ram) selected install & try... Same problem.. purple ubuntu wallpaper sits on screen...

followed the F6 method again.. got to the menu... (after more reading) someone suggested to press F6 again to select some options that would not be included in the install (I GUESS??) I checked the option.. can't find the page but i think it was "nomopic" or something...

THE INSTALL STARTED!!!! I followed all the install directions as normal.. Install finished... machine restarted... (no disc in machine) booted from HD ... sits on this purple screen again...

So i got to thinking... I changed one thing from before to now... THE BIOS!! I upgraded the bios a few months back... so i looked on asus's website and found they had come out with another 4 upgrades... I downloaded the latest version and flashed... SAME PROBLEM!! Went back to the Asus website.. downloaded the bios version my mobo shipped with... flashed... Still no luck!! I dont know where to go from here and I would really hate to go back to windows... especially under a circumstance like this.. PLEASE HELP!!

Thanks in advance to the community.. Also If I need to include more info please just let me know..

peskykid82
October 30th, 2010, 04:18 PM
So I was thinking maybe the previous version '9' is going to do the trick..I downloaded iso burned it to disc... The correct screen came up when booting from CD..I chose install.. Everything was working great. 9.04 installed.. When I opened update manager I was instructed to update ubuntu to 9.10... Did that, worked great.. Update manager again.. Update to 10.04... Update installed perfectly.. When reboot happened it hung on the wall paper.. No icons.. No tool bar.. Keyboard did not work.. However mouse moved the pointer.. I power cycled the machine after 10 minutes.. Ubuntu said it could not mount /tmp.. Checked for errors.. Found errors... Could not fix them though...
I'm going to try spin rite now.. I just don't understand how I could have installed and ran ubuntu 9.x with no problem but ubuntu 10 will not work..i have more than enough system specs.*** see above post for specs***

Any help would be awesome..

joshruehlig
October 30th, 2010, 04:24 PM
I am trying to install ubuntu 10.10 on my compaq laptop. Every thing goes till copying files, but installation freezes after user account creation. Installation bar freezes after it shows "Ready when you are". All options like skip, Forward grayed out. Please help to complete installation. I have attached error screenshot for the same.
BTW this is quad booting system with vista, suse, fedora, ubuntu 9.10. Now I am trying to replace ubuntu 9.10 by fresh installation on the same partition.

did you put in a username? It looks like that field is blank

peskykid82
November 1st, 2010, 05:28 AM
I ran spin rite.. No problems with the drive.. I'm going to do a little bit better job of describing my problem in a few days.. Getting together as much info as possible.

The Anvil
January 19th, 2011, 04:42 AM
The stop is definitely related to the user name being in lowercase. This is a simple fix; in relation to some of the curt replies, there are those of us that have to fly through some of the more mundane aspects of installing. The user name thing could have a fix by now, I don't know, don't care.

The bottom line here is this: This is an excellent forum, the people volunteering time to make Ubuntu awesome, are definitely doing it.

But the user name, lowercase thing is just retarded - just look at the grief it caused this one guy. Is it an easy fix? Add a prompt to let someone know he doesn't have to spend all weekend figuring out what went wrong.

Huzaa

Quackers
January 19th, 2011, 04:56 AM
What you are saying is true, The Anvil, in part. An error message could pop up and make things clearer. However, as you will see from the screenshot the OP made, there is no green tick after the username field, as there is after the "confirm password" field. If the username is filled in correctly, a green tick will appear. No green tick - no "forward" field.
That's the only clue we get.

willflanders
February 23rd, 2011, 01:07 AM
Thanks, for your post. I was hung up until I changed my username.