PDA

View Full Version : The Question is "IF not "DOES"

ki4jgt
October 27th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Ok guys I am getting tired of explaining this to people, so pass the word. Thanks. :-)

"IF" a rooster laid an egg on the center of a roof

tanslation: if you saw with your eyes (never mind what's possible) a rooster lay an egg on the center of a roof

which way would it roll

ironic.demise
October 27th, 2010, 10:45 AM
neither?
Blanced egg.

:which way does wind blow?

NMFTM
October 27th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Roosters don't lay eggs.

bryncoles
October 27th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Which way does the roof slope?

ironic.demise
October 27th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Roosters don't lay eggs.
f you saw with your eyes (never mind what's possible) a rooster lay an egg
... You are TERRIBLE at his game...
seriously, you suck...
like... loads

andymorton
October 27th, 2010, 01:57 PM
roosters don't lay eggs.

+1

CraigPaleo
October 27th, 2010, 01:58 PM
It would roll toward the ground.

pommie
October 27th, 2010, 02:08 PM
The same direction as a hen would face when it crowed at dawn.

Cheers David

CraigPaleo
October 27th, 2010, 02:16 PM
The same direction as a hen would face when it crowed at dawn.

Cheers David

Thanks for saying "hen" and not "chicken." Too many people believe that a chicken is the female.

Grenage
October 27th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Thanks for saying "hen" and not "chicken." Too many people believe that a chicken is the female.

Wth, who would think that?

CraigPaleo
October 27th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Wth, who would think that?

These people. (http://www.google.com/search?q=%22roosters+don%27t+lay+eggs%2C+chickens+ do.%22&hl=en) :)

Frogs Hair
October 27th, 2010, 04:01 PM
I have not witnessed such an event , so I could only guess as what may or may not happen. I could construct the event in my mind and each construct would be different .

forrestcupp
October 27th, 2010, 05:01 PM
It would break open on the peak, so it wouldn't roll either way.

ki4jgt
October 27th, 2010, 06:24 PM
These people. (http://www.google.com/search?q=%22roosters+don%27t+lay+eggs%2C+chickens+ do.%22&hl=en) :)

LMBO LOL ROTFL I love you guys! :-)

Although

It would break open on the peak, so it wouldn't roll either way.

The egg shell would have to go somewhere.

**EDIT: It wouldn't be rolling though :-)

CraigPaleo
October 27th, 2010, 07:39 PM
LMBO LOL ROTFL I love you guys! :-)

Although

If it's not rolling, why did you ask us which way it'd roll? :confused:

Does it bounce? :P

ki4jgt
October 27th, 2010, 08:14 PM
I think it's more like a slow slide, if the eggs broken.

cpmman
October 27th, 2010, 08:24 PM
If it was an ubunturooster (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1002708) it would be straight up

forrestcupp
October 27th, 2010, 08:44 PM

The inside of the egg would act as an adhesive causing the pieces of shell to just stick to the roof (especially if the roof is hot from the sun). Barn roofs are often gambrel style with the upper angle being shallow, which means the albumen covered shell fragments probably wouldn't even slide very far. Also, there would probably be parts of the shell on both sides. :)

ki4jgt
October 28th, 2010, 02:23 AM
I think we found our answer:-) A rooster making us breakfast. Although, I don't know if I want to eat it or not. You never know how much rooster doo was on top of that building.

alanmoore78
October 28th, 2010, 03:11 AM
I bet the rooster didn't even wash his paws.

radar920
October 28th, 2010, 04:00 AM
down:guitar:

Khakilang
October 28th, 2010, 05:57 AM
If there is a chicken on the roof top. It will be slaughter by Colonel Sanders.

pommie
October 28th, 2010, 06:00 AM
Hang on a tic, when you put something down carefully it could be said that you laid it down, so if a rooster carried an egg to the peak of a roof and placed it carefully, it would be correct to say that the rooster laid an egg on the roof.

Cheers David

ps, did I actually inject some seriousness into this thread :rolleyes:

ki4jgt
October 28th, 2010, 06:12 AM
Hang on a tic, when you put something down carefully it could be said that you laid it down, so if a rooster carried an egg to the peak of a roof and placed it carefully, it would be correct to say that the rooster laid an egg on the roof.

Cheers David

ps, did I actually inject some seriousness into this thread :rolleyes:

It seems as though you did. pommmie.

I started to argue that roosters couldn't carry things, but then that would defeat the entire logic behind my post.

skillllllz
October 28th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Ok guys I am getting tired of explaining this to people, so pass the word. Thanks. :-)

tanslation: if you saw with your eyes (never mind what's possible) a rooster lay an egg on the center of a roof

which way would it roll

Not sure if your question is really just a matter of semantics, but either way, since your question asks us to ignore what is possible/impossible, my question to you would then be: "Is the roof located where gravity does not exist?"

Can you see where I'm going with this? In order to give an answer, there are literally an infinite number of variables in your scenario that require defining. This is because your scenario is simply not based on our perceived reality. I'll give you some more examples: Is the rooster's egg magnetic and the roof made of steel? Is the roof made of tar? Is it an exploding egg? Is the egg a cube? I could go on and on...

ki4jgt
October 28th, 2010, 06:53 AM
Not sure if your question is really just a matter of semantics, but either way, since your question asks us to ignore what is possible/impossible, my question to you would then be: "Is the roof located where gravity does not exist?"

Can you see where I'm going with this? In order to give an answer, there are literally an infinite number of variables in your scenario that require defining. This is because your scenario is simply not based on our perceived reality. I'll give you some more examples: Is the rooster's egg magnetic and the roof made of steel? Is the roof made of tar? Is it an exploding egg? Is the egg a cube? I could go on and on...

Yes, understood but the words laid and If are a part of our perceptive reality.

So much so that we use if in computer programing, so if we consider the idea, we can only go with what we're given, then
(wow, an IF. . . THEN Statement) :-)

We're only given:
IF A CHICKEN LAID AN EGG ON A ROOF WHICH WAY WOULD IT ROLL

So we would have to assume that IF and LAID were general terms, unless specified as otherwise. The problem is LAID can be used both ways. Nothing else allows anything but what is generally assumed to be implied.

**EDIT: but there is no inclusion of the word DOES. Which means that the variable can not have does included within it, only IF.

cammin
October 28th, 2010, 07:48 AM
A rooster can lay an egg, a rooster just has no eggs to lay. This can be remedied.
I suggest wearing gloves and earplugs. Hard boiling the eggs would make things easier for you, but could skew the results of the test.

pommie
October 28th, 2010, 07:54 AM
As there is only one way to roll, it would rotate.

All this is a mute point now as I have just eaten the egg roll http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/imagess/smiley-rolf.gif

Cheers David

Gotta love that gif

ironic.demise
October 28th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Yes, understood but the words laid and If are a part of our perceptive reality.

So much so that we use if in computer programing, so if we consider the idea, we can only go with what we're given, then
(wow, an IF. . . THEN Statement) :-)

We're only given:
IF A CHICKEN LAID AN EGG ON A ROOF WHICH WAY WOULD IT ROLL

So we would have to assume that IF and LAID were general terms, unless specified as otherwise. The problem is LAID can be used both ways. Nothing else allows anything but what is generally assumed to be implied.

**EDIT: but there is no inclusion of the word DOES. Which means that the variable can not have does included within it, only IF.

In computer programming, the answer is usually there,
for example
if $USER="SuperJesus"; then ping "http://God.org"; else echo "you are not superjesus and I shan't ping supergod for you!"

Where $USER is pre-defined, You either are SuperJesus or you are not, and the computer KNOWS this.

Yet, When a rooster lays an egg... I don't know what the environmental variables are... I mean, Is the rooster 64bit or 32?

ki4jgt
October 28th, 2010, 10:50 PM
The rooster is 128-bit :guitar:

**EDIT: I wonder if a 128 exists? That's something to look into!

ironic.demise
October 28th, 2010, 11:19 PM
The rooster is 128-bit :guitar:

**EDIT: I wonder if a 128 exists? That's something to look into!

What next!
246 bit roosters! insanity!
I'm still sure there should be more 16 bit roosters.

ki4jgt
October 28th, 2010, 11:26 PM
Well, aparently, AMD did develope a 128 bit. People don't use it because the technology is so advanced that we don't need it yet! :-) Imagine that.

swoll1980
October 28th, 2010, 11:52 PM
down:guitar:

This^

Jaecyn42
October 29th, 2010, 12:18 AM
I hate to interrupt the fun; but, does this thread have a point?

Just curious.

BigCityCat
October 29th, 2010, 02:42 AM
Say Toast ten times real fast. What do you put in a toaster?

Bread

pommie
October 29th, 2010, 04:15 AM
I hate to interrupt the fun; but, does this thread have a point?

Just curious.

Yes, one end of the egg is pointier than the other.

Cheers David

ki4jgt
October 30th, 2010, 01:34 AM
Yes, one end of the egg is pointier than the other.

Cheers David

Only if it's a rooster, or maybe it's a hen. One of them has pointier eggs than the other LOL:)

tgm4883
October 30th, 2010, 01:53 AM
Counter-Clockwise. You can get it to roll clockwise, but you need to get a bzr checkout of rooster 2.3 (revision 322 or later) apply a patch and compile it yourself. I've looked, but cannot find a rooster PPA.

jbruced
October 30th, 2010, 01:55 AM
*internet issues ignore this*

( why is internet shown as misspelled? did I spell it wrong)

jbruced
October 30th, 2010, 02:02 AM
There is no roll, If is not satisfied.

corrytonapple
October 30th, 2010, 02:29 AM
On our farm, there is a cage on top of their cage, both made of metal. So wiring all the way around. If it was laid by a hen, then it would just sit there, until I come to get it. I raise chickens. No roosters. They are mean to other people and are useless for us. We only use our hens for egg production......

forrestcupp
October 30th, 2010, 03:24 AM
Is the rooster's egg magnetic and the roof made of steel?Lol. I actually almost posted that exact same thing yesterday.

It's not showing as misspelled in Chrome. Maybe it's because you put a * at the beginning.

matthew.ball
October 30th, 2010, 04:23 AM

It's a definite article; a proper noun. According to grammatical norms, it should be capitalised. So, "internet" is wrong, but "Internet" is correct.

It's like the names of cities for instance.

ki4jgt
October 30th, 2010, 08:49 AM
It's a definite article; a proper noun. According to grammatical norms, it should be capitalised. So, "internet" is wrong, but "Internet" is correct.

It depends on which internet you're talking about! There is more than just one internet. Which is why I have hated spell check in Ubuntu since it started forcing you to use capitals (both in FF and Empathy). Hope I spelled that right.

Counter-Clockwise. You can get it to roll clockwise, but you need to get a bzr checkout of rooster 2.3 (revision 322 or later) apply a patch and compile it yourself. I've looked, but cannot find a rooster PPA.

Depending on which side of the roof it's on, it may roll counter-clockwise anyway! :-)

***EDIT: I found rooster, but I don't think I want it! You can keep the rooster and the eggs :-)

matthew.ball
October 30th, 2010, 10:47 AM
There is only one internet.

ki4jgt
October 30th, 2010, 11:25 AM
There are several internets. Most people call them by intranets though. It's less confusing.

matthew.ball
October 30th, 2010, 11:46 AM
They are intranets or wide-area networks, they are not internets.

ki4jgt
October 30th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Sorry, I've just read a lot of tutorials which refer to them as such. They're mainly from a bazillion years ago. One in particular actually goes into detail about the distinction between the Internet and internets. I knew that people called them intranets (which FF and Empathy still doesn't recognize) and when I looked them up, I got tutorials on the Internet and internets. Not trying to argue, just explaining.

I found them on Google, some of the first tutorials I learned about the internet from. I had planned on building a project, but I2P came along and pretty much implimented most of it, except for the last part. Which I haven't released yet.

msandoy
October 30th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Taking into account the coriolis effect, it would roll west, as long as this rooster did not lay the egg on one of the poles. :-)

ki4jgt
October 30th, 2010, 01:04 PM
OK, where did poles come in? Did I miss a quote?

***EDIT: OH>>> LOL :)

Yeah, when I was younger, I took this test. Apparently I'm extremely right brained! Sometimes it takes me a few seconds to get what left brained people are saying LOL

-or-

I could just be a dumb blonde, either one works for me!

forrestcupp
October 30th, 2010, 02:42 PM
It depends on which internet you're talking about! There is more than just one internet. Which is why I have hated spell check in Ubuntu since it started forcing you to use capitals (both in FF and Empathy). Hope I spelled that right.Chrome in Windows doesn't make you capitalize internet. You could always just add the lower case word to the dictionary.

They are intranets or wide-area networks, they are not internets.
I like the internetz. :)

Khakilang
October 31st, 2010, 06:42 AM

which way would it roll

Rooster is clumsy with eggs and may drop the egg and crack it and with the roof being so hot it will boil the egg and it will be sunny side up.

or

The rooster laid the egg and it will not roll either side because the rooster sit on it and the egg hatch and a chick will turn out. But now the question is where will the chick go?

t0p
October 31st, 2010, 07:38 AM
The roof is flat.

ki4jgt
November 1st, 2010, 06:50 AM
The roof is flat.
Well, I didn't really say it was pointed, but it kind of borderlines the argument a page or so backwards about things being implied. What we discuss now though is if it's flat, how does the farmer get the egg?

CraigPaleo
November 1st, 2010, 06:02 PM
Well, I didn't really say it was pointed, but it kind of borderlines the argument a page or so backwards about things being implied. What we discuss now though is if it's flat, how does the farmer get the egg?

Either the farmer is a basketball player or she uses a ladder.

lisati
November 1st, 2010, 06:10 PM
Say Toast ten times real fast. What do you put in a toaster?

This ^^

ki4jgt
November 2nd, 2010, 09:18 AM
TOAST TOAST TOAST TOAST TOAST TOAST TOAST TOAST TOAST TOAST

HMMM. . .

TOAST. . . NO WAIT! I MEANT TO SAY BREAD! AHHHHHH! I HATE THESE GAMES.:confused:

t0p
November 2nd, 2010, 11:13 AM
TOASTTOASTTOASTTOASTTOASTTOASTTOASTTOASTTOASTTOAST

Crumpets?

TomMK
November 2nd, 2010, 01:15 PM
Toasttoasttoasttoasttoasttoasttoasttoasttoasttoast

Toast... B*****D!

ironic.demise
November 2nd, 2010, 06:31 PM
TOASTTOASTTOASTTOASTTOASTTOASTTOASTTOASTTOASTTOAST

Crumpets?

That was perfect! =D

CraigPaleo
November 2nd, 2010, 06:45 PM
Spell dork.

What do you eat your cereal with?

ki4jgt
November 3rd, 2010, 09:03 AM
A Spork! !-)

CraigPaleo
November 4th, 2010, 05:25 PM
KFC serves breakfast?

ki4jgt
November 4th, 2010, 08:20 PM
I have metal sporks thank you! :-)

forrestcupp
November 4th, 2010, 10:44 PM
So what if I put toast in a toaster?!

ki4jgt
November 5th, 2010, 03:54 AM
or ate cereal with a fork?

judge jankum
November 5th, 2010, 06:21 AM
If I see a rooster lay an egg ANYWHERE I'll make certain to buy that brand of whiskey again!!!
As a matter of fact I'm waiting on a rooster to drop one right now!

ki4jgt
November 5th, 2010, 09:24 AM
So when does a forum count as severely off point and in need of closing?

forrestcupp
November 5th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Back on topic. I agree with your original point. The question is "if" not "does". It's ridiculous to put real world restraints on a fantasy question. I'll never tell another one of those mind riddles again because of this.

ki4jgt
November 5th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Oh no I wasn't implying that. . . LOL I've just never had a forum go on this long before. It's getting scary. Especially since it was the most random thing ever thought of.

alanmoore78
November 6th, 2010, 12:21 AM
You didn't imply, you insinuated. If you applied yourself, it would have been implied.

ki4jgt
November 6th, 2010, 07:56 AM
I applied myself in speaking. Still not getting it. Imply means I have to put forth an effort. (An effort to shut the forum down.) duh, now I get it! but then why would I need to apologize for implying some thing. If I want to do it anyway?

BTW, (I'm not insinuating anything) LOL sorry. I was one of the best of my class in English in HS, but here lately I just haven't cared as much. I used to confound and stump my teachers. My little bro said they were making lessons out of my homework, which I though was kind of cool, now a lot of stuff has happened and I've kind of given up on any form or rules what so ever. I can't even spell any more. Although, I would like to hear more on this imply/insinuate thing. Maybe I'll ignite a small flame that the water didn't drown.

CraigPaleo
November 6th, 2010, 01:57 PM
I inferred that you wanted to banish all mind-numbing jokes. :)

forrestcupp
November 6th, 2010, 02:37 PM
I applied myself in speaking. Still not getting it. Imply means I have to put forth an effort. (An effort to shut the forum down.)You keep saying "forum", and I think you mean "thread". ;)

If you talk about shutting the "forum" down, you're liable to be banished. :)

You didn't imply, you insinuated. If you applied yourself, it would have been implied.My understanding is that the only difference between 'imply' and 'insinuate' is that 'insinuate' is always used in a negative context, while 'imply' can be used negatively or positive.

I inferred that you wanted to banish all mind-numbing jokes. :)Wow! that's a confusing, but correct use of the word 'infer'.