PDA

View Full Version : Humans & Apes

CraigPaleo
October 27th, 2010, 02:06 AM
Are Humans Apes or not?

NCLI
October 27th, 2010, 02:16 AM
We're definitely part of the ape/monkey family, so yes.

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 27th, 2010, 02:17 AM
Based on the definition of Hominoidea, humans are apes.

Of course, people will argue if Hominoidea is an accurate classification.

NCLI
October 27th, 2010, 02:20 AM
Based on the definition of Hominoidea, humans are apes.

Of course, people will argue if Hominoidea is an accurate classification.
Well, I think we can all agree that apes/monkeys are the animals we are related to most closely.

I don't think many people would argue against this, it's scientific fact, and backed up by quite a lot of evidence.

Also, who voted "No"? :confused:

mads65
October 27th, 2010, 02:25 AM
Apes are humans, but why don't we see any of them in Ubuntu forums?

I guess they like Solaris, but I'm not sure.

NCLI
October 27th, 2010, 02:27 AM
Some apes are human, the humans(homo sapiens)!

Other ape species may have human characteristics, abilities or feelings, but they are not human.

CraigPaleo
October 27th, 2010, 02:32 AM
Are apes humans?

If yes, why don't they participate in forums?

Edited out....

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 27th, 2010, 02:34 AM
Well, I think we can all agree that apes/monkeys are the animals we are related to most closely.

I don't think many people would argue against this, it's scientific fact, and backed up by quite a lot of evidence.

Some people argue that monkeys are not in the Hominoidea category because they have tails.

The scientific community can argue about anything.

NCLI
October 27th, 2010, 02:34 AM
If this is really the split of people who believe in evolution and science versus those who don't in this forum(40/40/20), I am officially depressed.

Some people argue that monkeys are not in the Hominoidea category because they have tails.

The scientific community can argue about anything.
Silly. English is the only language I know of where there are separate words for apes and monkeys. In Danish they're both aber, in Japanese saru, in Latin simia. All these words mean both things.

Silly English speaking countries.

CraigPaleo
October 27th, 2010, 02:39 AM
No can do... 30 days is it.

Pogeymanz
October 27th, 2010, 02:39 AM
This isn't subject to opinion... Humans are classified as apes. So are gorillas and orangutans. Monkeys are not apes, such as spider monkeys and rhesus macaques.

This question has nothing to do with evolution, just nomenclature.

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 27th, 2010, 02:43 AM
If this is really the split of people who believe in evolution and science versus those who don't in this forum(40/40/20), I am officially depressed.

Silly. English is the only language I know of where there are separate words for apes and monkeys. In Danish they're both aber, in Japanese saru, in Latin simia. All these words mean both things.

In science there is a method of classifying species that has nothing to do with genetics or evolution. It avoids the religion problem. It is about characteristics. That is why I chose to look at this from the definition of the Hominoidea classification :)

NCLI
October 27th, 2010, 02:44 AM
This question has nothing to do with evolution, just nomenclature.
It has everything to do with evolution. If you do not believe in evolution, humans and apes can't be related.

NightwishFan
October 27th, 2010, 02:50 AM
Sorted down they are very similar, so I suppose so.

forrestcupp
October 27th, 2010, 02:53 AM
It has everything to do with evolution. If you do not believe in evolution, humans and apes can't be related.

That's pretty limited thinking. They can be related by similarities in genetics, whether they evolved from some common source or not.

Sand & Mercury
October 27th, 2010, 02:53 AM
Humans are apes. That's a fact, not an opinion.

NCLI
October 27th, 2010, 02:56 AM
That's pretty limited thinking. They can be related by similarities in genetics, whether they evolved from some common source or not.
While it is true that two species could theoretically be created with very similar genes, I would argue that they wouldn't be related, just similar

Anyway, there is a huge amount of pretty much undeniable scientific evidence for humans and apes being closely related, including things in our DNA that wouldn't make sense if we were created separately, so it's really a moot point.

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 27th, 2010, 02:56 AM

If you read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ape you may understand that common speech and the definition of ape are not consistent.

NCLI
October 27th, 2010, 02:58 AM
If you read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ape you may understand that common speech and the definition of ape are not consistent.
Christ, that's a huge wall of text. O.O

Maybe tomorrow, it's 4 am here :p

Simian Man
October 27th, 2010, 02:59 AM
I am uniquely qualified to answer this and yes, humans are apes.

Apes are humans, but why don't we see any of them in Ubuntu forums?

I guess they like Solaris, but I'm not sure.
Close, most of us actually use BSD.

NightwishFan
October 27th, 2010, 03:00 AM
I am uniquely qualified to answer this and yes, humans are apes.

Close, most of us actually use BSD.

Another post to be published in my sig. :)

Schrute Farms
October 27th, 2010, 03:50 AM
I know apes and humans are very closely related and in the same scientific family, but I don't think humans are apes any more than I think poodles are wolves.

I think that's why I think that way, wrong as I may technically be.

AGNKim
October 27th, 2010, 03:53 AM
i know apes and humans are very closely related and in the same scientific family, but i don't think humans are apes any more than i think poodles are wolves.

This

juancarlospaco
October 27th, 2010, 03:55 AM
We are a Fork ...?
(of apes)

Phrea
October 27th, 2010, 03:57 AM
I don't know about you guys, but I certainly am an ape.

Khakilang
October 27th, 2010, 04:14 AM
In my country we have an ape species call orangutan which is very common. The word orangutan is a Malay word meaning jungle people. So they are people that belong in the jungle. The only several difference between apes and human is human got less hair, we speak, we try to figure out how to use Linux and we don't run around naked.

juancarlospaco
October 27th, 2010, 04:17 AM
and we don't run around naked.

ORLY?
:popcorn:

WinterMadness
October 27th, 2010, 04:20 AM

Also, who voted "No"? :confused:

lol someone has never been to my country

Dustin2128
October 27th, 2010, 04:43 AM
whoops, someone needs to get some extra sleep. If you're using apes as a classification, then yes humans are.

sudoer541
October 27th, 2010, 06:12 AM
Humans are apes???
Imo this is the siliest thing ive ever heard!!!!
Where did u guys/gals come up with that stuff??? :):P

standingwave
October 27th, 2010, 07:18 AM
It has everything to do with evolution. It does, but trying to fit all species into the Kingdom, Phylum, Class, etc. is problematic because evolution doesn't work that way grouping species into seven neatly defined levels like it's some kind of OSI model. Cladisitics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cladogram) is gradually replacing the old classifications.

CraigPaleo
October 27th, 2010, 01:16 PM
I know apes and humans are very closely related and in the same scientific family, but I don't think humans are apes any more than I think poodles are wolves.

I think that's why I think that way, wrong as I may technically be.

That analogy doesn't quite work. Poodles and wolves are both canines. The reason I made this poll was because someone in another forum said "that's what separates us from apes."
It sounded odd. It'd be like saying, "Thats what separates poodles from canines." I think both "apes" and "canines" need to be qualified with "other."

forrestcupp
October 27th, 2010, 02:20 PM
While it is true that two species could theoretically be created with very similar genes, I would argue that they wouldn't be related, just similarSemantics.

Anyway, there is a huge amount of pretty much undeniable scientific evidence for humans and apes being closely related, including things in our DNA that wouldn't make sense if we were created separately, so it's really a moot point.And it's just impossible for a creator to want different species to be closely related even at the DNA level? It doesn't make sense to me for a creator to want to go to the extra trouble of making every single species completely different in every possible way.

I'm surprised this thread is still allowed to continue.

If you read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ape you may understand that common speech and the definition of ape are not consistent.This is one of the most sensible posts in the thread. The people who voted "no" based their votes on common language rather than scientific classification.

andymorton
October 27th, 2010, 02:24 PM
We are definitely apes and I'm proud to be one. The scientific evidence proves that we are.

Bölvağur
October 27th, 2010, 02:39 PM
When I saw this topic I was like wtf :confused:
It could just as well be "Is haddock a fish?". I even would think the ratios would be similar of yes and no because lack of understanding of the subject.

But what I'd find interesting if everyone that answered no would need to tell us what we are then and given a list of categories that would include the ape family and "alien from another planet". My money would be that most ppl would give the most sensible answer.

pommie
October 27th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Semantics.

And it's just impossible for a creator to want different species to be closely related even at the DNA level? It doesn't make sense to me for a creator to want to go to the extra trouble of making every single species completely different in every possible way.

snip

Using a belief (believing in a creator aka God)

World English Dictionary
belief (bɪˈliːf)
—n
1. a principle, proposition, idea, etc, accepted as true
2. opinion; conviction
3. religious faith
4. trust or confidence, as in a person or a person's abilities, probity, etc

to prove a theory (are Apes human or are Humans Apes)

World English Dictionary
theory (ˈθɪərɪ)
—n , pl -ries
1. a system of rules, procedures, and assumptions used to produce a result
2. abstract knowledge or reasoning
3. a speculative or conjectural view or idea: I have a theory about that
4. an ideal or hypothetical situation (esp in the phrase in theory)
5. a set of hypotheses related by logical or mathematical arguments to explain and predict a wide variety of connected phenomena in general terms: the theory of relativity
6. a nontechnical name for hypothesis

is, at best, a waste of time typing it out.

Cheers David

ps, the above is NOT to be taken as a statement about religion at all...

Edit:- You missed a category, "who cares" :)

standingwave
October 27th, 2010, 03:35 PM
And it's just impossible for a creator to want different species to be closely related even at the DNA level? It doesn't make sense to me for a creator to want to go to the extra trouble of making every single species completely different in every possible way.Once you postulate a creator, all bets are off, of course. But I would find it curious that a creator would introduce ERVs (endogenous retroviruses (http://hubpages.com/hub/How-Endogenous-Retroviruses-Provide-Evidence-of-Common-Descent)) at various points in the line to make it look like evolution occurred. An ERV is an infection that affects the dna in germ cells (germs as in your gonads) and then gets passed along to all descendants. Makes it very easy to determine precisely where the evolutionary tree branches. It could still be a creator, of course, but it suggests a level of deceit comparable to creating all the photons from distant stars in route in order to make a 6,000 year old universe only appear to be billions of year old.

stormchaser2063
October 27th, 2010, 03:37 PM
certain species of humans are apes/ related to apes... not sure of some of the others

Yougo
October 27th, 2010, 03:47 PM
My Girlfriend says at least half of us are Sus scrofa domestica

limestone
October 27th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Humans are related to apes, but not to monkeys.
The genetic difference between humans and chimps is less than 2%.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/incredible-human-journey/
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/human-ape/
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/becoming-human/
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/what-makes-us-human/

Really interesting documentaries of human origin.

Simian Man
October 27th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Chimps are more closely related to us than they are to any other ape. So if you think humans shouldn't be considered apes, then at the very least humans and chimps will need their own category together.

And it's just impossible for a creator to want different species to be closely related even at the DNA level? It doesn't make sense to me for a creator to want to go to the extra trouble of making every single species completely different in every possible way.

God practices (genetic) code reuse. I guess she's a smart programmer :).

limestone
October 27th, 2010, 03:58 PM
certain species of humans are apes/ related to apes... not sure of some of the others

Today there is NO other Human specie but us.

Bölvağur
October 27th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Today there is NO other Human specie but us.

we cannot close our eyes and pretend something that is extinct doesnt need to be taken into account any more. There are many species of human but we just have many that arent any more.

So you are correct but the argument doesnt make sense in a way.

If certain means all species of humans... then yes

oh ok Im just going to go and read what I need to study :-#

forrestcupp
October 27th, 2010, 04:50 PM
But what I'd find interesting if everyone that answered no would need to tell us what we are then and given a list of categories that would include the ape family and "alien from another planet".As was said earlier, the people who voted 'no' probably based their vote on common language rather than scientific classification. It must just be an American thing that people associate the word 'ape' with gorillas, monkeys, etc.

comparable to creating all the photons from distant stars in route in order to make a 6,000 year old universe only appear to be billions of year old.

Nobody ever said the universe is only 6,000 years old. The only real claim is that the earth as we know it has been here for around 6,000 years, which is also a subjective number based on unclear genealogies. Dinosaurs, etc., were obviously here a long time before the re-creation of the earth, which happened after the ice age.

MasterNetra
October 27th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Enough already folks with the religious stuff, save that junk for a different forum, not here.

And yes humans in science are classified as apes.

KiwiNZ
October 27th, 2010, 06:26 PM
See the banner for the Cafe ...... Thread closed