PDA

View Full Version : How I found out I need the command line. (why do you love the terminal?)

murderslastcrow
October 27th, 2010, 01:19 AM
Nope, not for installing anything or setting anything up- no one needs the command line for all that automatic sissy stuff anymore. No, I realized after creating about a thousand textures and needing to duplicate them with new names just how badly I need the command line. Simple commands that we just take for granted because we don't use them very often. Data management, find and replace, and in this case simply rename. And well, macros make my work take about 1/20 the time it would otherwise (I'm being dead serious here, I used to waste so much time before I met Linux).

What kind of stuff do you still use the command line for, despite its irrelevance to newbies?

Old *ix Geek
October 27th, 2010, 02:37 AM
I "grew up" with the UNIX command line, so to speak, and it's where I'm truly most comfortable. Now, that's not to say I don't like or appreciate modern improvements such as the amazing graphical apps we have access to. But when it comes down to needing to do something quickly and efficiently, the command line always wins hands down. There are some things I don't think I've ever done except at a prompt, such as changing permissions; to me, it seems like it would take longer to click your way through than it does to just type a few characters at a prompt.

Or batch processing thousands of images--I can't even imagine what that would be like via a GUI based program...but then I've never tried, either. But when I've cropped, renamed, or resized thousands of images [via ImageMagick] at a command prompt, my involvement took a few seconds; I suspect it would take longer the other way.

Anyway, I always have a terminal open and use it for most routine stuff, like checking and/or killing processes, copying/moving directories and files, backing up to one of my off-site servers (I prefer lftp for that), viewing contents of directories, editing configuration files (I'm a vi person--but don't want to start a flame war with the emacs devotees!), and so on.

I'm glad Linux, or really KDE in my case, has evolved to the eye-pleasing work of art it is today, and how it's now easy for anyone to install Linux without ever seeing a command prompt, but for me the CLI will always be home. :)

undecim
October 27th, 2010, 04:05 AM
I had to make thumbnails of ~20,000 images once. Wrote a bash script to resize with Imagemagick, and left it on overnight.When I woke up, I Had my thumbnails.

I also use it a lot to manipulate text files.

handy
October 27th, 2010, 04:55 AM
Nope, not for installing anything or setting anything up- no one needs the command line for all that automatic sissy stuff anymore.

For the standard Arch install you most certainly do.

No, I realized after creating about a thousand textures and needing to duplicate them with new names just how badly I need the command line. Simple commands that we just take for granted because we don't use them very often. Data management, find and replace, and in this case simply rename. And well, macros make my work take about 1/20 the time it would otherwise (I'm being dead serious here, I used to waste so much time before I met Linux).

What kind of stuff do you still use the command line for, despite its irrelevance to newbies?

I have some aliases set up in ~/.bashrc which make my life a lot easier, especially since I use Arch/Openbox & a tiny xfce4-panel running 4 plugins. I don't use windows & icons at all. I use the highly configurable "Worker" for much of what I do & bash via Sakura.

The 3 prime app's I use are auto-started by Openbox, via ~/.config/openbox/autostart.sh (Worker, Firefox & Sakura).

kaldor
October 27th, 2010, 05:01 AM
I use the Terminal for pretty much most of my file management. I use it in OS X as well because I never got adjusted to Finder. I find myself doing mv more than dragging and dropping files in Finder due to the lack of "cut".

I don't need the terminal, but it really makes stuff quicker once you learn.

NightwishFan
October 27th, 2010, 05:03 AM
Some things are much more convenient, especially batch stuff. The main task I use it for is cloning audio from cds and getting flac files with replay gain.

handy
October 27th, 2010, 05:06 AM
I use the Terminal for pretty much most of my file management. I use it in OS X as well because I never got adjusted to Finder. I find myself doing mv more than dragging and dropping files in Finder due to the lack of "cut".

I don't need the terminal, but it really makes stuff quicker once you learn.

Just a side note bitch: Oh when will Apple ever get around to fixing ALL of the things that are wrong with Finder?

/bitch

handy
October 27th, 2010, 05:07 AM
Some things are much more convenient, especially batch stuff. The main task I use it for is cloning audio from cds and getting flac files with replay gain.

HandBrakeCLI is awesome also. Boy I've done some work with that.

I have it set up as an alias, so I don't have to remember the long command line. :)