PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Various Grub problems

footclan
October 26th, 2010, 11:55 PM
Hi, I'm using Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit (32bit i386 or alternate wouldn't work) and have been having dual boot issues.

I had Ubuntu installed first and I decided to install Xp. After installation it would boot straight into windows with no bootloader. I put in a livecd and followed a tutorial and grub came back, but there was no option for windows.

As of now grub doesn't show at all and I'm put straight into Ubuntu. While I've been using Ubuntu for awhile I'm still a noob.

Any suggestions?

thanks

Seq
October 27th, 2010, 12:23 AM
Hi, I'm using Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit (32bit i386 or alternate wouldn't work) and have been having dual boot issues.

I had Ubuntu installed first and I decided to install Xp. After installation it would boot straight into windows with no bootloader. I put in a livecd and followed a tutorial and grub came back, but there was no option for windows.

As of now grub doesn't show at all and I'm put straight into Ubuntu. While I've been using Ubuntu for awhile I'm still a noob.

Any suggestions?

thanks

You can adjust the GRUB_TIMEOUT in the file /etc/default/grub. The value is in seconds.

gksu gedit /etc/default/grub

Afterwards, run `sudo update-grub`. It should enumerate all operating systems found on your system, including Windows. It updates grub with said OS list, as well as the updated timeout you changed above.

footclan
October 27th, 2010, 02:21 AM
Awesome. It worked without any problems.

Thanks a lot.