PDA

View Full Version : Rumors: Apple to buy Sony?

KiwiNZ
October 26th, 2010, 10:06 PM
At one point on Tuesday, Sony's stock was up almost 3 percent as the rumor spread among the traders on the Tokyo exchange. Sony's market capitalization is currently less than $34 billion, making a cash buyout a possibility.

What would the Stock Exchange do without those Demented Reef Fish and their rumors?

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/10/26/rumormill-apple-to-buy-sony/

themarker0
October 26th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Interesting, i hope not, i don't want Apple controlling the music playing industry.

lisati
October 26th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Does this mean I have to change the branding on three camcorders, a TV, a DVR, a DVD recorder and a sound system?

KiwiNZ
October 26th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Does this mean I have to change the branding on three camcorders, a TV, a DVR, a DVD recorder and a sound system?

I don't see it happening, why would Apply but that dead duck. Sony has not traded at a profit for quite a while.

Paqman
October 26th, 2010, 10:16 PM
It'd be an interesting move. They're actually pretty similar companies. They've both positioned themselves to try and be the source of both hardware and content to the customer. Sony want to provide you with movies, music and games to consume on the devices they sell you, and Apple's goes to great lengths to lock their customers in. A Sony-Apple juggernaut would be pretty formidable.

pasti
October 26th, 2010, 10:19 PM
No I'ts all a rumor, see this article from the register:-

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/10/26/sony_and_apple_acquisition_rumor/

lisati
October 26th, 2010, 10:26 PM
I don't see it happening, why would Apply but that dead duck. Sony has not traded at a profit for quite a while.

I don't see it happening either.

Most of my experience with Sony products has been satisfactory, but sadly I don't have sufficient experience with Apple to make a useful comparison.

NCLI
October 26th, 2010, 10:28 PM
The way Sony is throwing in its lot with Google right now makes me say: Nah.

MasterNetra
October 26th, 2010, 10:48 PM
It usually best not to put any stock into rumors. I'd say just pay attention to their announcements and actions and not some rumor, especially not the half-baked ones.

era86
October 26th, 2010, 10:53 PM
It usually best not to put any stock into rumors. I'd say just pay attention to their announcements and actions and not some rumor, especially not the half-baked ones.

I'd disagree... buy on the rumor and sell on the news. The stock jumped 3% on rumors, when the news hits.. sell. I was under the impression this was a common strategy, I could be wrong.

tjeremiah
October 26th, 2010, 10:54 PM
iBravia

madhi19
October 26th, 2010, 11:16 PM
Sound like the kind of crap somebody maybe spreading to cash in on a quick stock peak!

MasterNetra
October 26th, 2010, 11:46 PM
I'd disagree... buy on the rumor and sell on the news. The stock jumped 3% on rumors, when the news hits.. sell. I was under the impression this was a common strategy, I could be wrong.

lol it was a figure of speech, I don't mean with actual stocks. In other words don't trust or really consider rumors. I dunno about the actual stock market.

Lucradia
October 27th, 2010, 01:44 AM
I'd sooner see SONY buying apple with what's been going on latly.

handy
October 27th, 2010, 05:19 AM
Sound like the kind of crap somebody maybe spreading to cash in on a quick stock peak!

It could easily be a kind of insider trading move; spread the rumour, cause a rise in stock price & sell your stock.

Or perhaps Apple are looking for a way to avoid paying taxes on their profits for a while? :)

oobuntoo
October 27th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Apple Playstation 4 would come with a controller that has only one button and a starting price of $1,999. Could you imagine that?

whiskeylover
October 27th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Apple Playstation 4 would come with a controller that has only one button and a starting price of $1,999. Could you imagine that?

Haha

koleoptero
October 27th, 2010, 06:26 PM

That would be the iPlay 4

madhi19
October 27th, 2010, 08:27 PM
"The IPlay 4 will need to be connected to a PC or Mac running ITunes to sync at least one time every 24 hours! The IPlay 4 will not play any music or video not purchased from ITunes. Games will only be sold from the ITunes store and Game developers will have to give away 40% of their sales!" :lolflag:

Zzl1xndd
October 27th, 2010, 08:36 PM
A buy out of Sony doesn't really make much sense to me, Sony has a lot going on, and a lot of what it does is out side of the market Apple seems to be going after.

I think a Buy out of Nintendo would make more sense at least to me.

Folding the Nintendo franchises in with the iPhone and merging the AppleTV/Wii would probably do pretty well. Plus apple would pretty much own the hand held gaming market, and no Anti-trust issues with in the UK with Apple owning one of the Major record labels.

forrestcupp
October 27th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Sony should have never gotten rid of the Walkman and 3.5 inch floppies this year. ;)

Lol. You beat me to it. It only has one button, but it'll have killer multitouch capabilities with an insert that goes over your TV screen. :)