PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Video Card uses up a lot of cpu and ram?

beew
October 26th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Hi,

I have installed Ubuntu 10.10 on an old Dell Inspiron8500. It has a 2.2 Ghz CPU and 512M ram. I read in the forums that these specs should be quite adequate in running Ubuntu. However my system seems to be quite sluggish and it experiences constant freezes if I say, playing music with vlc and opening firefox at the same time (I have installed flashblock in firefox so it is not that there is flash playing in the background) The situation improves a bit after I disabled compiz and enabled openbox. But playing video still is a problem especially high resolution files, the video will play for a while and then freezes and the system would grind to a halt.

I think it may have to do with the graphic card somehow using cpu and ram in the system instead of its own gpu and ram. My video card is Nvidia Geforce Ti 4200 GO AGP8x, seems to be an awesome card, but maybe just a bit too much for this machine? I wonder if there is a way to find out if this is the case and if there is a way to fix it if it is confirmed.

I have set swappiness to 100 because of the low ram. I don't know whether this is the correct thing to do.

Thanks in advance for any help.

P.S. This may or may not be relevant. I have downgraded xorg in order to install the Nvidia driver because Nvidia-96 is not supported in Maverick. So I have Lucid's version of xorg. However, these problems I described already existed when Lucid was installed.