PDA

View Full Version : Where did my hard drives go???

LughGlas
October 26th, 2010, 07:25 PM
So I have Zorin (yeah yeah, but its Ubuntu based) installed on one of my hard drives. On the other 250GB drive I have, I still have XP. When I log into XP, I have two of my hard drives, and am missing one. When I log in to Zorin (which means I have to change the boot order in my BIOS), I only see one of the hard drives. Each drive is partitioned. All I want to do is to get rid of XP and have Zorin acknowledge all of my hard drives. How do I do this?!

3Miro
October 26th, 2010, 07:58 PM
This is a bit confusing, so let me see if I get this right. You have two hard drivers, one with Zorin and one with windows XP. Windows XP sees both harddrives (I suppose from Administrative tools), however, XP will not be able to use the Zorin harddrive unless you install special software. On the other hand, Zorin only "sees" its own harddrive. Is this correct?

I am having hard time with the Zorin's web-page, I don't seem to get which environment they are basing it on. From the screenshots it looks a lot like LXDE, however, this would be an odd choice for a "new to Linux" oriented system. On other pictures the file manager looks like Thunar, which is the XFCE manager ... This one of the hard parts of Linux, you can never tell by the looks. If you are using Nautilus (the default for Ubuntu) file manager, you should be able to see the extra partitions on the left of the window and you should be able to click on them.

Here is the distribution independent way to figure it out. Go to the terminal/console (or konsole) and type

sudo fdisk -l
This should list stuff like:

Some Unimportant stuff .....

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 996 8000338+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda2 * 997 4731 30001387+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda3 4732 30401 206194275 83 Linux

Other Unimportant stuff .....

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 1 2611 20972826 83 Linux
/dev/sdb2 2612 20887 146801970 83 Linux
/dev/sdb3 20888 38913 144793845 7 HPFS/NTFS

I have two harddrives with three partitions each. All but one partition are formated for Linux (one if the swap).

While at it, you can check to see which one of these commands will work:

nautilus

thunar

pcmanfm
this will tell use where to go from here.