PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu 10.10, mouse mappings incorrect?

Bliepo32
October 26th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Recently, I installed Ubuntu 10.10 (I was using 10.04 before, but decided to do a clean install anyway). After some time, I noticed that using the middle mouse button in Firefox did not open a new tab, but instead just opened the link in the current tab.

After some research,I discovered that the middle mouse button acts the same as the left mouse button. I can use the middle mouse button to select text, switch Windows and so on.

I believe this to be caused by incorrect mouse mappings, but I don't know for certain. Anyway, here is some output of xinput:

something@something:~$ xinput list
⎡ Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)]
⎜ ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad id=11 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ PS/2 Generic Mouse id=12 [slave pointer (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard id=3 [master keyboard (2)]
↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard id=5 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ Power Button id=6 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ Video Bus id=7 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ Sleep Button id=8 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ CKA7216 id=9 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard id=10 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ HP WMI hotkeys id=13 [slave keyboard (3)]
something@something:~$ xinput get-button-map "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

So is this caused by incorrect mouse mappings? If so, how do I correct them? If not, what might be the issue then?

Bliepo32
October 26th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Alright, I tried playing around a bit with the mouse mappings and I noticed that changing the mouse mapping for the left mouse button, changes the the mapping for the middle button as well.

So, if I remap the left mouse button to act like the right mouse button, then the middle mouse button will also act like the right mouse button.

Bliepo32
October 26th, 2010, 08:48 PM
It seems my problem was caused by a bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/612591 The fix mentioned there fixed things for me :)