PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] pendrivelinux + utils

daniel_O
October 26th, 2010, 05:57 PM
hey all! I'm relatively new to Linux and I've been using Ubuntu for about 3 or 4 months now, and I'd like to start by saying that I love Ubuntu much better than Windows. Anyway, I want to know if there is a way to create a bootable USB drive with Ubuntu (i.e. pendrivelinux) but also add my own (ones from the internet) diagnostic and repair utilities into that bootable environment. If so, how might I go about doing that? Also, what are some reliable hardware diag utilities and other repair utils useful to a technician? Any help is appreciated.

infoTurtle
October 26th, 2010, 07:12 PM
If you made a bootable pen drive and ran it once, installed and saved your programs to Ubuntu they should be there when you load again provided the OS is installed on the pen drive

Gparted is a great one to have and testdisk, gparted should be installed if your on 10.10 and here's testdisk

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download

daniel_O
October 26th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Well, I was sort of looking more along the lines of just loading a basic desktop environment with a few utilities (disk error checking, memory diag, etc.) and try to fit that into a small bootable package (under 2GB), sorry I should have been more specific. But, yes, testdisk and GParted are very useful utilities.