PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems with install, stuck at Who are you? - 10.10

IVIurdoc
October 26th, 2010, 03:55 PM
I'm trying to install 10.10 on my laptop. I put the .iso files on my USB flash drive to boot from there and test it make sure it would work with my network card, etc. Everything seems great so I clicked the install Ubuntu icon on the desktop and got to the screen that is titled Who are you? asking for my name, computer name, username, password. Well I cannot click the forward button it is faded out and the loading bar at the bottom just says ready when you are. Should I just try to restart the installation or am I possibly doing something wrong?

mikewhatever
October 26th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Make sure the *names you type have no spaces or special characters in them.

ronparent
October 26th, 2010, 04:21 PM
The install will proceed when you have a green checkmark on all the required entries.

IVIurdoc
October 26th, 2010, 04:41 PM
I have a green check for Name, System Name and Confirm Password. My password is Good, System Name has no illegal characters: Shanes-Vaio. My username doesn't have a green check beside it but I don't see why that would matter as you should be able to use anything for your username. I can't close it either to try again. Should I boot into Windows and install it through that?

IVIurdoc
October 26th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Well I figured it out.. apparently you can't use capital letters in your username. Seems kinda odd to me but not a big deal.

Clodzilla
October 26th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Also make sure you use lower case letters. Had this problem last night. Got past that, but cannot get out of booting to low graphics mode. I installed 10.4 and now cannot get the wireless or wired LAN to connect. This is becoming a hassle quickly.

TBABill
October 26th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Only way to know that as a new user is if you watch when you type your real name, using a capital letter as the first letter (or any letter within it), the username field will copy what you type, but in all lower case. This needs to be improved with a small (lower case only) note next to it.

ronparent
October 26th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Rodger that. But that is how it is and if you don't follow the rules you don't get in.

Nikp2003
November 13th, 2010, 05:15 AM
Well I figured it out.. apparently you can't use capital letters in your username. Seems kinda odd to me but not a big deal.

Thanks!!!!

It really should let you know this in the setup menu! The whole check mark disappearing thing is barely noticeable..

Quackers
November 13th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Rodger that. But that is how it is and if you don't follow the rules you don't get in.
It would be a good idea to tell people the rules first though.