PDA

View Full Version : Mutter and Compiz

Oxwivi
October 26th, 2010, 12:12 PM
As far as I know, Mutter does the same things as Compiz, while being horribly inefficient. Why was Mutter developed in the first place? Wouldn't it be better to further develop Compiz instead?

Spice Weasel
October 26th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Compiz isn't officially part of GNOME and the GNU Project likes being in control of everything.

limestone
October 26th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Mutter is easier to config they says. Mutter will replace compiz in ubuntu 11.04
Personally I don't give a crap, don't use the stuff anyway.

Edit. It's the other way around. Instead of using Mutter, Unity will be using Compiz.

Half-Left
October 26th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Compiz isn't officially part of GNOME and the GNU Project likes being in control of everything.

Compiz wasn't even developed by the GNOME project anyway but other DE's have their own window manager so saying that is not right.

Mutter is young so I'm not sure why people are comparing performance to something that been out in the wild for so many more years.

Oxwivi
October 26th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Okay, forget the performance, why bother reinventing the wheel?

Half-Left
October 26th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Okay, forget the performance, why bother reinventing the wheel?

Mutter replaces Metacity and is purely a compositing window manager fit for the future. Why wouldn't GNOME want to modernise their window manager, especially if it means being able to do better things with it.

Oxwivi
October 26th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Well, can't the Compiz be improved upon instead of starting from scratch?

Spice Weasel
October 26th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Compiz wasn't even developed by the GNOME project anyway but other DE's have their own window manager so saying that is not right.

Mutter is young so I'm not sure why people are comparing performance to something that been out in the wild for so many more years.

GNU developed Metacity which wasn't compositing but then Compiz came along which wasn't developed by GNU so they decided to start Mutter.

Metacity is still the default for GNOME 2.

Oxwivi
October 26th, 2010, 01:11 PM
What the hell, I thought GNU/Linux was about accepting and sharing contributions. Who developed Compiz anyway?

regala
October 26th, 2010, 01:17 PM
GNU developed Metacity which wasn't compositing but then Compiz came along which wasn't developed by GNU so they decided to start Mutter.

please go on guys, keep stating utterly false facts :)

Mutter is a fork from Metacity, using the Clutter library.
clutter is a high quality library to manipulate display objects using directly the DRI or the graphics driver, bought by Intel with Openhanded. Compiz is a big project which has grown over and over and that is less efficient GPU-ly than clutter can make its users.
And the Gnome project wanted something based upon Metacity because they _know_ the code; commiting one's self to support new big piles of (good or bad) code which you haven't ever seen before, is far more difficult than to port Metacity to use Clutter.

qamelian
October 26th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Mutter is easier to config they says. Mutter will replace compiz in ubuntu 11.04
Personally I don't give a crap, don't use the stuff anyway.
Actually, according to yesterday's announcement, the plan is to use Unity as the default UI in desktop Ubuntu, an It is being rewritten to use Compiz instead of Mutter.

Half-Left
October 26th, 2010, 01:43 PM

KDE developed their own window manager, xfce use their own window manager, GNOME use their own window manager. Non of them use Compiz so it's got nothing to do with GNU.

If you mean that GNOME stick by GNU values and principles then yes, why shouldn't they? Core values are important and why GNOME was created in the first place.

gnomeuser
October 26th, 2010, 02:00 PM

That they do, in reality though GNU has absolutely nothing to do with GNOME. In fact there is increasing interest in severing the last ties, being that of a relationship in name only, with the GNU project.

On occasion Stallman will wander in and flame the mailing list with some offtopic self serving publicity stunt of his but that is about the only input GNOME ever gets from the GNU project. You'll find near zero code sent from @fsf.org or similar GNU outputs in what is shipped as GNOME.

limestone
October 26th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Actually, according to yesterday's announcement, the plan is to use Unity as the default UI in desktop Ubuntu, an It is being rewritten to use Compiz instead of Mutter.

Oh, sorry about that :P
Whatched thisweekinlinux on youtube, heard it wrong. :P

Canis familiaris
October 26th, 2010, 02:54 PM

Metacity does have limited compositing actually.

MeduZa
February 6th, 2012, 05:58 PM
After reading a lot about this on the web, and my conclusion is that they don't used compiz because looks dead and unmantained :(
So they improved metacity 2, call it mutter (aka metacity 3), also they used a lot of new ideas and technologies like CSS for themes that made everything easier
I don't know if mutter have less performance that compiz, but when I am playing games, I have no problems on fullscreen mode, mutter have minimal hardware demanding functions, because is oriented to work on low end graphic cards.

Salutes!