PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Flat Desktop Cube

ggoforth
October 26th, 2010, 09:40 AM
So I've seen this posted in the forums, but can't seem to find a solution for my setup. Using a dual monitor setup, nvidia graphics card, and proprietary drivers are installed. I've installed the compiz settings manager and all the needed compiz packages (to enable 3d windows, etc...). I have 4 horizontally spaced workspaces. I also have twinview enabled in the nvidia settings manager.

When I press Ctrl + Alt + Down, my desktops zoom out, BUT are all in a flat line. Like you cut the cube down one side and opened it up flat. Pressing Ctrl + Alt + left will switch between these windows. Just wondering if I'm missing something here.

Again, Horizontal workspaces = 4, Vertical workspaces = 1, number of desktops = 1 (I can't change this value for some reason)

Any ideas?

ankspo71
October 26th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Hi,

Again, Horizontal workspaces = 4, Vertical workspaces = 1, number of desktops = 1 (I can't change this value for some reason)

That ^above^ was always true for me too. I use Kubuntu now so my answers may be slightly off...

Ctrl+Alt+Down shows the cube in a flattened mode. Try Ctrl+Alt+(Left or Right) to rotate the cube to the next workspace, but do not press Ctrl+Alt+Down first, or else you go into the flattened mode again. If you want to display and rotate the cube (freely as a cube) I think you need to Ctrl+Alt(plus use your mouse to drag the desktop around).

Hope this helps.

coffeecat
October 26th, 2010, 12:28 PM
If you want to display and rotate the cube (freely as a cube) I think you need to Ctrl+Alt(plus use your mouse to drag the desktop around).

@ggoforth, that's what you need, but you also need to tick 'Rotate Cube' in compizconfig settings manager. Then ctrl-alt-leftclick will grab the desktop cube and by holding down the mouse button you can move it in all directions with the mouse, just as you've seen in screenshots.

ggoforth
October 27th, 2010, 05:20 AM
Ok, that was it. Thanks! I think in a previous version of desktop cube I could zoom out to the cube with a keyboard shortcut, then control the spin with the arrows. Personally this seems like a much better alternative than having to Ctrl + Alt + mouse click to spin the cube. Ctrl + Alt + left / right will flip the desktop, to the next one, but it doesn't zoom the cube out, no biggie. Thanks for your help!