PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] update manager wants to install ant/openjdk/gcj and many others

Chninkel
October 26th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Hello (not 100% sure to be in the appropriate section)

I'm using 9.10 (x64) and since this morning the update manager is trying to force me to install (not update) ant, ant-gcj, ant-..., openjdk (and associate packages), gcj, jruby, jetty, ... (~190Mb of new install, about 70 new packages).

Some are listed in the "important security update" (ant, openjdk) section, others in "recommended update" (libasm2-java, libregexp-java, ...) and "distribution update" (gcj, jetty, jruby, libswing, ...) (sorry, I don't know the actual English names of the sections since I use a French ubuntu).

They are all tagged with "(New install)" (which I had already seen for some kernel "update", but never for non-installed packages).

It also proposes an update to my current sun-java install (in "important security update")

I searched synaptic for pending installation, just in case I'd have accidentally checked some box, causing those packages to be needed (i.e. because of some dependency ...) and none are checked/nothing is marked as broken.

Is there any reason the update manager is trying to install these packages ?

I know I can uncheck the boxes ;-) , but still this is "unusual" (to say the least)

SeTsU
October 26th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Same here, also on 9.10.

I wonder if it has something to do with the recent Oracle/Java drama.

Chninkel
October 26th, 2010, 11:52 AM
I wonder if it has something to do with the recent Oracle/Java drama.
That was my first thought as well but then why install ant and gcj which are developer/compilation tools ?

Chninkel
October 27th, 2010, 09:33 AM
a little more details ...

here is the list of the 5 sun-java-... packages already installed that can be updated on my computer:

sun-java-bin
sun-java-jdk
sun-java-jre
sun-java-plugin
sun-java-source

When I mark for update (in synaptic) either bin, jre or plugin, it wants to update bin, jdk, jre and plugin (not source which is not a dependency). Everything is normal so far.

Now if I mark for update either jdk or source instead, apt/synaptic wants to install ant, openjdk, gcj and all the others (+ bin, jre and plugin of course). Nothing in the properties/package informations (see http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/sun-java6-jdk ) of sun-java-jdk indicates any dependency to these new packages.

Besides (as noted above) updating bin, jre or plugin triggers update for jdk but not the installation of the new packages (ant, gcj, openjdk, ...)

So what I did is select sun-java-bin for update, accept to update jdk, jre and plugin as well, then update, then select sun-java-source and update it.

I guess I won't put the [solved] mark since the question remain as to why this happened in the first place ...

hurinth
October 31st, 2010, 05:50 PM
Same over here. Furthermore, unchecking all Java related upgrades (in fear it would mess up my working Cisco java-based applications) and leaving only Firefox updates checked, resulted in all those Java packages being intalled regardless!

Can someone explain why all these packages were forcibly installed? Are we migrating from sun-java to open-java for good?

Would appreciate any light on this matter.

hurinth
November 3rd, 2010, 01:01 AM
Bump??

Chninkel
November 3rd, 2010, 11:11 AM
So what I did is select sun-java-bin for update, accept to update jdk, jre and plugin as well, then update, then select sun-java-source and update it.
I forgot to say that of course this made synaptic install only the 5 sun-java-... updates (which was the intended result), none of the openjdk-related packages were installed and they do not appear anymore in the update-manager (even though they are not installed and were supposedly required to update sun-java-jdk).

hurinth
November 3rd, 2010, 07:51 PM
So if you query the packages they show up uninstalled?:

dpkg -l opendj*

Chninkel
November 6th, 2010, 02:21 PM
the command (with openjd*) returns "un" for every openjd* package (the "n" meaning "not installed")

NB: just to be clear : note that I never installed them in the first place (I never allowed the update-manager to do it) and I made the update through synaptic instead of the update-manager.