PDA

View Full Version : Switch from Unity back to old Netbook Remix Interface

salukibob
October 26th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Hi Folks,

Like so many people on these forums, having just upgraded to 10.10, I've discovered Unity, and I'm afraid its not for me. I absolutely loved the previous interface, and was quite shocked and saddened to see it disappear.

But I'd like to keep all the other new software that comes with 10.10. So my question is, can I install the old 10.04 beautiful interface to run on the 10.10 edition? Re-installation is a MS solution, that turned me on to linux in the first place!

Thanks for any help
Rob

kerry_s
October 26th, 2010, 09:05 AM
only the 2d version is available in 10.10, search "netbook" in synaptic.

salukibob
October 26th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Thanks for your reply Kerry.

Unfortunately, the netbook-launcher package is just to ease transition to unity, and if you try to remove unity, it removes the netbook-launcher package as well. Or am i looking at the wrong package?

Can I just add the 10.04 repository to my sources.list and install the old netbook-launcher?

Thanks
rob

kerry_s
October 26th, 2010, 10:11 AM
it's netbook-launcher-efl

salukibob
October 26th, 2010, 01:01 PM
ahh, thats brilliant. Thanks very much

rob

thelehmanlip
October 26th, 2010, 08:30 PM
i tried uninstalling unity and installing ubuntu-netbook and the netbook-launcher-efl. when i logged out and logged in, the screen was blank. it was white with a cursor. i reinstalled unity on the command line.

What am I doing wrong?

thelehmanlip
October 26th, 2010, 08:37 PM
i found my problem: you need to uninstall Unity (which will also uninstall ubuntu-netbook) and install ubuntu-netbook-efl and netbook-launcher-efl

simon_brooke
October 29th, 2010, 04:11 PM
apt-get says

'E: Unable to locate package ubuntu-netbook-efl'

Yes, I've done apt-get update (and apt-get upgrade). I have the same 'blank white screen with cursor' problem described above, and, additionally, alt-f2 does not bring up a launcher typein bar, so I can't launch synaptic.

Ah!

If I kill gdm and then run startx, I get a standard Gnome desktop - a great improvement.

marcus0263
October 30th, 2010, 12:36 AM
Excellent, I'm going to try it.

I LOVED v10.04 but upgraded to v10.10 as to get trim support and absolutely HATE the new interface. I've went back to 10.04 and tried installing the maverick kernel and my broadcom drive keeps puking.

I'll try the suggestion in this thread, hope it works.

WTF did they do to the interface? The old interface was smart, well laid out and worked really well, this new PoS Unity blows major chunks!

marcus0263
October 30th, 2010, 02:28 AM
Meh, removed Unity, installed netbook elf, it pulled unity back in. So I removed unity again and it stayed gone. Interface is lacking what v10.04 had a bit, not as polished. But the straw that broke the camels back was when it rebooted I get nothing.

Tired of messing with it, going back to v10.04, Unity sucks big time.

Cima Coppi
October 30th, 2010, 12:46 PM
I've messed around myself, and as like the rest of you I don't like Unity that much (as of the current state)

You don't need to uninstall Unity though. Just install the "efl" components mentioned above and re-login. Make sure to choose the right interface on the bottom of the login screen. I get Ubuntu desktop, Ubuntu netbook remix and UNR 2D. Choose the last "2D" and you get something that looks like UNR Lucid. The interface looks a lot like an early alpha, icons are twice as large as needed, somewhat retarded.

Unity could be something if it were more flexible, themeable, hideable and so forth.

I wish you all nice All Hallows weekend!

/Thomas

yakinikku
November 2nd, 2010, 05:15 AM
I've messed around myself, and as like the rest of you I don't like Unity that much (as of the current state)

You don't need to uninstall Unity though. Just install the "efl" components mentioned above and re-login. Make sure to choose the right interface on the bottom of the login screen. I get Ubuntu desktop, Ubuntu netbook remix and UNR 2D. Choose the last "2D" and you get something that looks like UNR Lucid. The interface looks a lot like an early alpha, icons are twice as large as needed, somewhat retarded.

Unity could be something if it were more flexible, themeable, hideable and so forth.

/Thomas

i tried the 2d interface and it didnt work correctly, gnome was overlayed on top of the interface. i posted a thread and got no help, it is something i can reproduce on another laptop that is running ubuntu desktop edition. if anyone can help please reply to this thread

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1594102

TheAnachron
November 2nd, 2010, 11:54 AM
Kerry, can you please tell me how you did that awesome bar?

benlau
December 29th, 2010, 05:17 AM

/Thomas

I have installed those efl package and removed unity , however, it still don't show the gdm screen , then I need to modify /etc/gdm/custom.conf'session to une-efl.

Then it could show the old netbook interface, but the launched application do not show in full screen mode and use the global menu bar . Anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks.

slorge
January 6th, 2011, 04:32 AM
when I up'd to 10.10 on my Dell mini-9, I hated Unity. So I switched to the gnome desktop and never looked back. I'll be checking in on the thread, though. I liked the 10.04 GUI, just because it gave the mini-9 that true "netbook" look, but to be honest, I'm still much more at ghome with gnome! :p

mdimitro
February 6th, 2011, 01:41 AM
I have installed those efl package and removed unity , however, it still don't show the gdm screen , then I need to modify /etc/gdm/custom.conf'session to une-efl.

Then it could show the old netbook interface, but the launched application do not show in full screen mode and use the global menu bar . Anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks.

You'll also need to install `window-picker-applet`, `go-home-applet`, and `maximus`. If you selected "Delete" when Gnome complained about the lacking applets, you'll just have to add them back into your menu bar, otherwise they should load the next time you log in. Maximus will also load the next time you log in, or you can just launch it with Alt-F2 (which works!), but it will be automatically added to the auto-run list either way.

Now I just want to know how I can get my icons to look normal-sized again. Still, this is a huge improvement over Unity with Mutter.

CryNGRoad
February 6th, 2011, 11:34 PM
There is also a package called ubuntu-netbook-efl-default-settings, which, for me, put everything back to normal.