PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 10.10 no boot...damaged graphics card...need to run in VESA

cocopeanut
October 26th, 2010, 08:04 AM
I have an HP Pavilion dv9000 who's graphics card finally got too overheated and it started failing under Windows. At the time I had a Ubuntu 9.?? version and it had an option to start the LiveCD under "Safe Graphics" mode... It worked beautifully so I ran the true installation of Ubuntu onto a large Flash Drive and continued to use the computer that way, even though I only got 800x600 resolution with the vesa driver.

I have now spent almost 4 days trying to get Ubuntu 10.10 installed on this flash drive but I can't get it to work. There is no "Safe Graphics Mode" option in the LiveCD and the "xforcevesa" boot option only worked to get into the installation of Ubuntu......so I went ahead and ran the installation onto my flashdrive.....but once it reboots and tries to run the the system off the usb, it shows me a black screen.... no blinking curser.....no response by hitting CTRL+SHIFT+F2.......no nothing....

I am unfamiliar with Grub 2, or Xorg.conf or anything of these boot scripts.... Can anyone please help me configure my system to run using the generic VESA driver in either 800x600 or 1024x768 resolution? I'm stuck and need help. :)