PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu announcement replaced all text in screensavers

im.wayfarer
October 26th, 2010, 05:30 AM
Hello,

I've got an annoying little problem that hails from the folks that design Ubuntu.

First, I have a question: Why on earth would you replace the use of fortune files in the starwars, noseguy, & fontglide screensavers with an announcement about an operating system I am ALREADY USING, installing it, configuring it and overwriting my personal settings and preferences without my explicit permission?

I think this insanity, pure insanity.

So, what I want to know: Where is the announcement file because I want to KILL-KILL-KILL it?; If I should not do that, how to I uninstall this piece of self-aggrandizement that I neither need nor want?; How do I return my system to what I WANT? What I HAD until someone thought Ubuntu needed to advertise something I already knew, that was NOT an LTS release, which I have.

Silly me, this "feature," building my system my way, was the primary reason I abandoned Windows in favor of Linux first, and Ubuntu finally. This kind of thinking, if it continues (self-aggrandizement, arrogance, self-promotion, changing my system without permission, etc.) will certainly assure Ubuntu meets the same fate as it predecessors. It was a slim victory anyway over one of the competing OS's.

So, if someone knows how to get rid of this $%#!, thanks in advance for the information. And, if someone who had ANY responsibility with this decision has the time to reply....

"What were you thinking?"

Rememeber, I AM ALREADY USING YOUR SYSTEM. I CAME TO THE SYSTEM WITHOUT SUCH HEAVY-HANDED TACTICS. I HAVE NEVER EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT COMPLAINING ABOUT BUGS/FEATURES I HAVE ENCOUNTERED BECAUSE THOSE KINDS OF THINGS ARE PROGRAMMER/DESIGNER ACCIDENTS....

However.

THIS WAS NO ACCIDENT and it was insane.

ankspo71
October 26th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Hi,
I think this link might have a related problem:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=57411