PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Intel and Nvidia drivers not playing nice

tomeofknowledge
October 26th, 2010, 04:58 AM
I have a Gateway ID49C running Ubuntu 10.10 with a Intel card for power saving and a Nvidia card for performance. I installed the Nvidia drivers and rebooted to find a CLI, I checked /etc/X11 and found a xorg.conf which I found strange since I thought it had been depreciated. I then renamed it and rebooted to find my self back in a GUI. I immediately ran Nvidia X Server Settings which informed me that I was not using the nvidia driver. I tried nvidia-xconfig and dkpg-reconfigure xserver-xorg with the same effect.

How can I make it use the Nvidia card preferably with the ability to switch back to the Intel card in battery conservation situations.

tomo0607
February 7th, 2011, 05:08 PM
I use the same model and have had exactly the same problems for almost half a year.

I know that Optimus technology does not support Linux. (I'm really sad.)
But I am just wondering whether or not there is a way to enable the GPU instead of the IGP without Optimus technology.

I would appreciate any information on it.

Temüjin
February 7th, 2011, 11:52 PM
It depends on whether your BIOS allows you to switch off the IGP. You're at the mercy of Gateway BIOS designers (and you have my deepest sympathies).

tomo0607
February 9th, 2011, 03:17 AM
>Temüjin

Thank you for your reply and sympathies.

Unfortunately, it seems that the BIOS of ID49C does NOT allow users to switch GPUs even though I keep it the latest one.

May Gateway engineers be benevolent to Linux users!