PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how's ATI support these days

ms-dos
October 26th, 2010, 04:54 AM
so I been needing to get a new gpu
looking at the new HD6xxx card (I use windows for gaming)
just like to know how ATI's Linux support these days
my last ati card I used in Linux was a 9800pro
so ya that was a long time ago
Is ati worth getting

what I'll be doing in Linux
compiz
HD moves
gaming: both native games and windows games ran though wine
and other day to day stuff

jcer93705
October 26th, 2010, 05:44 AM
so I been needing to get a new gpu
looking at the new HD6xxx card (I use windows for gaming)
just like to know how ATI's Linux support these days
my last ati card I used in Linux was a 9800pro
so ya that was a long time ago
Is ati worth getting

what I'll be doing in Linux
compiz
HD moves
gaming: both native games and windows games ran though wine
and other day to day stuff

Not working to well for me. I'm getting some texture problem and my pointer has texture problem too. I have ati gpu on my laptop. Nvidia are more mature then ati will ever be. Ati doesn't provide good drivers for their video card so that sucks. I'm having bad luck on my laptop.

ms-dos
October 26th, 2010, 05:48 AM
Not working to well for me. I'm getting some texture problem and my pointer has texture problem too. I have ati gpu on my laptop. Nvidia are more mature then ati will ever be. Ati doesn't provide good drivers for their video card so that sucks. I'm having bad luck on my laptop.
what card do you have ?
and witch drivers are you using?

jcer93705
October 26th, 2010, 05:54 AM
what card do you have ?
and what driver are you using?

I have no idea how to find out if its ati 10.10 drivers. But i got my driver from additional drivers. I removed it and installed it with synaptic with no luck texture problem still there, I also removed ati driver and ran it as is and it ran some games bit slower still had accelerator but no texture problem. I'm having the same bull **** in window 7 sometimes. Might be either ati drivers or my gpu is failing. I'm using a cheap ati radeon 4200hd gpu on my laptop.

From using linux since the 90s I notice that linux play very nice with nvidia graphics and their quite fast fast and not laggy. I have notice my driver in linux doesn't provide better graphics compare in window 7.