PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't install KDE 4.X !!

bisho99
October 26th, 2010, 01:24 AM
hey , i need to install plasma themes , but i need first KDE4.x
i don't know how to install it

i work on ubuntu 10.10
how to install KDE 4.XX ????????
thanx

ankspo71
October 26th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Hi,
Plasma themes will not work in Ubuntu's own desktop because Ubuntu's desktop is called Gnome and doesn't support plasma themes. Installing KDE will give you a second completely different desktop than the one Ubuntu uses. KDE will make your Ubuntu look somewhat like Windows Vista or 7. I just wanted to make sure that you knew what this involves before I go further. You will have a few choices when it comes to installing KDE...

kde-plasma-desktop OR kde-plasma-netbook
It installs the KDE desktop and minimal set of KDE applications. You have the choice of desktop edition or netbook edition. If you aren't using a laptop, notebook, or netbook, then you would probably want the desktop edition.

kde-standard
It installs the KDE desktop with a typical set of KDE applications.

kde-full
It installs the KDE desktop with a large assortment of KDE applications

kubuntu-desktop
This package contains everything that is included in the Kubuntu distribution. http://www.kubuntu.org/ Kubuntu is technically Ubuntu, but Kubuntu uses the KDE desktop instead of Gnome

All you need to do is decide on what KDE package you want to install, and then look for it in your preferred package manager (Software Center, or Synaptic Package Manager, etc) then install them like you do anything else. When it is finished installing, you will need to log out, then click on your name at the login screen, then look at the bottom of the screen to choose which desktop (session) you want to use (KDE or Kubuntu), then enter your password and then login. You will always have the choice to use either Ubuntu's original desktop or KDE's desktop.

Enjoy your new desktop.:)

Arbayong
June 19th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Hi,
Plasma themes will not work in Ubuntu's own desktop because Ubuntu's desktop is called Gnome and doesn't support plasma themes. Installing KDE will give you a second completely different desktop than the one Ubuntu uses. KDE will make your Ubuntu look somewhat like Windows Vista or 7. I just wanted to make sure that you knew what this involves before I go further. You will have a few choices when it comes to installing KDE...

kde-plasma-desktop OR kde-plasma-netbook
It installs the KDE desktop and minimal set of KDE applications. You have the choice of desktop edition or netbook edition. If you aren't using a laptop, notebook, or netbook, then you would probably want the desktop edition.

kde-standard
It installs the KDE desktop with a typical set of KDE applications.

kde-full
It installs the KDE desktop with a large assortment of KDE applications

kubuntu-desktop
This package contains everything that is included in the Kubuntu distribution. http://www.kubuntu.org/ Kubuntu is technically Ubuntu, but Kubuntu uses the KDE desktop instead of Gnome

All you need to do is decide on what KDE package you want to install, and then look for it in your preferred package manager (Software Center, or Synaptic Package Manager, etc) then install them like you do anything else. When it is finished installing, you will need to log out, then click on your name at the login screen, then look at the bottom of the screen to choose which desktop (session) you want to use (KDE or Kubuntu), then enter your password and then login. You will always have the choice to use either Ubuntu's original desktop or KDE's desktop.

Enjoy your new desktop.:)

Well, i just install kde plasma netbook on my laptop running natty narwhal. when i log out and login into kde desktop i get a lighted black background. a message only appears when i press power button (i am asked to choose logout, restart or shutdown). any help on that?

i don't like the unity desktop.