PDA

View Full Version : What can I do with a fully functional netbook with no case?

ki4jgt
October 26th, 2010, 12:11 AM
I have a fully functional netbook, but no case. I accidentally dropped it and cracked it wide open. The thing works. The RAM is stil in. The HD has no damage or anything. The entire unit as a whole works, The casing around the bottom and keyboard is just cracked open and no longer fits on the laptop. Are there any projects I could do to make all these parts look awesome, which still allows me to use my computer?

kerry_s
October 26th, 2010, 12:17 AM
does it have a vga out?
i'm thinking nettop, make yourself some kind of case.

coffee412
October 26th, 2010, 12:17 AM
I have a fully functional netbook, but no case. I accidentally dropped it and cracked it wide open. The thing works. The RAM is stil in. The HD has no damage or anything. The entire unit as a whole works, The casing around the bottom and keyboard is just cracked open and no longer fits on the laptop. Are there any projects I could do to make all these parts look awesome, which still allows me to use my computer?

Duc Tape :)

Seriously, Look thru places like Ebay and buy a dead one and transfer everything over. It would be a good learning opportunity. But if your not that mechanically inclined then perhaps someone else might be intererested in doing it.

What model number is it?

ki4jgt
October 26th, 2010, 12:20 AM
Yes, it has VGA out and the out has it's own display (it doesn't have to share the same display as the monitor) It is a Acer Aspire One ZG5

***EDIT: What are the cases called I want to build my own, but I don't know what to search for on Google. It keeps showing me sleeves when I search for cases.

coffee412
October 26th, 2010, 12:27 AM
Yes, it has VGA out and the out has it's own display (it doesn't have to share the same display as the monitor) It is a Acer Aspire One ZG5

***EDIT: What are the cases called I want to build my own, but I don't know what to search for on Google. It keeps showing me sleeves when I search for cases.

Google search > acer aspire zg5 case parts

http://www.google.com/products?q=Acer+Aspire+One+ZG5+case+parts&hl=en&biw=1152&bih=640&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=9hHGTKTuNob6sAOTqOzWDQ&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CD0QrQQwAg&lr=all

JustinR
October 26th, 2010, 12:40 AM
Make a transparent case - that would look cool.

The Real Dave
October 26th, 2010, 12:42 AM
I'd make a case out of something, and turn it into a very lightweight, and easy on power server :)

ki4jgt
October 26th, 2010, 01:16 AM
I've though about the transparent case thing. I just don't know how to do it for a netbook.

Windows Nerd
October 26th, 2010, 01:17 AM
Make it into an extremely powerful router, or a low-power server.