PDA

View Full Version : How do you pronounce Qt?

forrestcupp
October 25th, 2010, 10:08 PM
So how do you pronounce Qt? I know it's officially pronounced "Cute", but I'm in the habit of saying Q.T.

NightwishFan
October 25th, 2010, 10:10 PM
I read it as Q.T. but I say Cute.

cariboo
October 25th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Cutie :)

lykwydchykyn
October 25th, 2010, 10:14 PM
I know that it's supposed to be "cute" but I can't bring myself to say that. Apart from the fact that it sounds dumb, it's one of those things where anyone who reads it is going to say "Q T" by default, and if you say it "correctly" then most people won't know what you're talking about.

Simian Man
October 25th, 2010, 10:15 PM
I know that it's supposed to be "cute" but I can't bring myself to say that. Apart from the fact that it sounds dumb, it's one of those things where anyone who reads it is going to say "Q T" by default, and if you say it "correctly" then most people won't know what you're talking about.

Agreed.

t0p
October 25th, 2010, 10:22 PM
I don't think I've ever said it out loud, but I "hear" it in my head as "cutie". I wasn't aware that we were supposed to say it as "cute"; but this kind of thing goes on. There's a utility, wvdial, that the devs say is pronounced "weave-dial".

Doesn't really matter what the devs say we're supposed to do. I shall continue to read it as "cutie", and if I ever say it out loud that's what I'll say: "cutie". It's nicer than "cute", IMHO.

forrestcupp
October 25th, 2010, 10:27 PM
I know that it's supposed to be "cute" but I can't bring myself to say that. Apart from the fact that it sounds dumb, it's one of those things where anyone who reads it is going to say "Q T" by default, and if you say it "correctly" then most people won't know what you're talking about.I agree, Liquid Chicken. ;)

There's a utility, wvdial, that the devs say is pronounced "weave-dial".
Right. How the heck are we supposed to know that stuff? They need to just spell it "weave-dial"

It reminds me of that movie "That Thing You Do" where the band started off being The Oneders, pronounced Wonders, and everyone pronounced it Oh-NEE-ders.

Half-Left
October 25th, 2010, 10:29 PM
It's not abbreviated and never was.

user1397
October 25th, 2010, 10:34 PM
q.t.
g.t.k.
ooboontoo
gnome (nome)
g.n.u.
linucks
missing anything? :popcorn:

Strategist01
October 25th, 2010, 10:34 PM
I've only come across the term a couple of times, and I go to myself, "Why are they describing him/her as a Q.T???". I have to read it in context before I realize that they mean cutie. But really, I don't like abbreviating text when you have an almost unlimited place to put it...so I would type "cutie". However, that's just the Grammar Nazi in me :p

KiwiNZ
October 25th, 2010, 10:36 PM
quite tedious

quintessentially transcendental

quietly timeless

que tip

Didn't it come from Quasar Technologies hence QT ?

devondashla
October 26th, 2010, 12:58 AM
I always thought it was "Q.T." But who cares, considering I also thoughtt sudo was "sue-doe"

juancarlospaco
October 26th, 2010, 02:46 AM
Wondering why english speaking people have so many how to pronounce XYZ....

NCLI
October 26th, 2010, 02:50 AM
Cute.

forrestcupp
October 26th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Wondering why english speaking people have so many how to pronounce XYZ....

Because unlike Spanish, we have a hundred different ways to spell and pronounce words.

Using our phonetics, you could spell the word "fish" like "ghoti". "Gh" as in "tough", "o" as in "women", and "ti" as in "station".

Also, I just found out Qt (the GUI framework) is really supposed to be pronounced "Cute" and I thought that was interesting.

whiskeylover
October 26th, 2010, 03:16 PM
I also thoughtt sudo was "sue-doe"

It isn't?

CharlesA
October 26th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Quebec-Tango
Que-Tee

No-Wai. :D

juancarlospaco
October 26th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Because unlike Spanish, we have a hundred different ways to spell and pronounce words.

Its open source?, we can submit a patch maybe... :P

How do you pronounce:

"Qt is Cute"

Jesus_Valdez
October 26th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Cu-te but in spanish, like a boss.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
October 26th, 2010, 04:39 PM
I didn't know it was supposed to be pronounced cute, I would say Q.T., but I don't know that I've actually used it in a conversation other than online.

Now Gnome on the other hand, I know is pronounced genome, but I still catch myself saying nome in my head on occasion. It drives me nuts that everyone in my Linux administration class calls it nome though, including my professor.

LowSky
October 26th, 2010, 04:42 PM
just like GNOME is supposed to be pronounced 'genome'.
Just pain dumb...

Spice Weasel
October 26th, 2010, 04:48 PM
I didn't know it was supposed to be pronounced cute, I would say Q.T., but I don't know that I've actually used it in a conversation other than online.

Now Gnome on the other hand, I know is pronounced genome, but I still catch myself saying nome in my head on occasion. It drives me nuts that everyone in my Linux administration class calls it nome though, including my professor.

Isn't it gah-nome?

samalex
October 26th, 2010, 04:59 PM
I always thought it was "Q.T." But who cares, considering I also thoughtt sudo was "sue-doe"

That's how I and most people I know say 'sudo', is that wrong?

I think the biggest pet peeve for me is hearing people call Linux 'Lie-nex' or even worse spell it Lynux which I've actually seen on resumes before.

But even in Revolution OS Linus says his name is pronounced a few different ways depending on the dialect, so I could see Linux following suit.

Sam

CraigPaleo
October 26th, 2010, 05:56 PM

Same.. I know how it's intended to be pronounce but I only ever say Q.T.

Gnome, on the other hand, I didn't know was pronounced with the G for the longest time. Old habits die hard so I still leave out the G.

Surprisingly, I got the pronunciation of Ubuntu correct since the first time I saw it.

forrestcupp
October 26th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Now Gnome on the other hand, I know is pronounced genome

That's about as silly as GNU being pronounced gah-new.

CraigPaleo
October 26th, 2010, 09:36 PM

OMG! Was it the Great Space Coaster with Garry Gnu? "No Gnus is good Gnus! What memories!

koenn
October 26th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Just pain dumb...

Isn't it gah-nome?

That's only a problem to English speaking people - i.e.if the combination of g and n seems unnatural to your ear, you tend to 'hear' a vowel between it.

compare: the Danish name "Knud" (as in 'King Knud') -> heard as / spelled "Canute" in English.

KiwiNZ
October 26th, 2010, 10:01 PM
As per my post # 11 I decided to look it up and ....

"Haavard Nord and Eirik Chambe-Eng (the original developers of Qt and the CEO and President, respectively, of Trolltech) began development of "Qt" in 1991, three years before the company was incorporated as Quasar Technologies, then changed the name to Troll Tech and then to Trolltech.
The toolkit was called Qt because the letter Q looked appealing in Haavard's Emacs font, and "t" was inspired by Xt, the X toolkit.[39]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qt_(framework)

So pronunciation would be as per alphabet

themarker0
October 26th, 2010, 10:10 PM
If its spelt Q.T., why should i pronounce it differently?

Spice Weasel
October 26th, 2010, 10:13 PM
If its spelt Q.T., why should i pronounce it differently?

It isn't though, it is spelt Qt. :P

Phrea
October 26th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Cue-tee.
Gnome is pronounced by me as just that: gnome.

CraigPaleo
October 26th, 2010, 10:39 PM
It isn't though, it is spelt Qt. :P

It's spelled Qt. :)

NCLI
October 26th, 2010, 10:45 PM
It's spelled Qt. :)

*sigh* (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/spelt)

juancarlospaco
October 26th, 2010, 11:41 PM
What about the Wx toolkit then... :D

Spice Weasel
October 26th, 2010, 11:45 PM

I know an easy one!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FOX_toolkit

CraigPaleo
October 27th, 2010, 01:36 AM

Fulltick (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLTK)? :P

Edit: probably not but it was worth a try. lol

forrestcupp
October 27th, 2010, 02:34 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qt_(framework)

So pronunciation would be as per alphabetThat's interesting about Quasar Technologies. But that same wiki article says that the official pronunciation is "cute".

What are you getting at? Are you saying "spelled" is wrong? The following quote is from the exact same page you linked to:

verb, spelled or spelt, spell·ing.

whiskeylover
October 27th, 2010, 03:57 PM

*sigh* (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/spelled)

LMP900
October 27th, 2010, 06:18 PM

Just pain dumb...

I always thought it was "guh-nome." I like "genome" better, but I always catch myself just saying "nome."

As for Qt: I called it Q-T until I started listening to the Engadget Mobile podcast. Myriam always called it "cute" so I guess that's what I'll call it from now on for correctness.

kekec_pasteta
October 27th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Quie Teee:P

Mark-H
October 27th, 2010, 10:27 PM
I don't see why you can't prononuce it just as it is written :-\"

Stan_1936
October 27th, 2010, 10:30 PM
So how do you pronounce Qt? I know it's officially pronounced "Cute", but I'm in the habit of saying Q.T.

Hello there cutey-pie. Would you like to go out for a hot beverage, with me, today at 12:30 pm?

juancarlospaco
October 27th, 2010, 10:33 PM
What about TK ?

aka tkinter, aka tcl-tk

forrestcupp
October 27th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Hello there cutey-pie. Would you like to go out for a hot beverage, with me, today at 12:30 pm?

I'll ask my wife. :)

zer010
October 27th, 2010, 10:43 PM
For me:
Qt : Q.T.
GNOME : Nome, but have also heard G-Nome and Gu-Nome
GNU : Gu-New, but have also heard New
Linux : I thought that was self-explanitory

Learn something gnu everyday! :P

forrestcupp
October 29th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Only 17.44% of the people pronounce it right, not including me. :)

TheNessus
October 29th, 2010, 02:00 PM

Personally, I pronounce Qt as 'Alfred'.

cammin
October 29th, 2010, 03:18 PM
It isn't?

The do in sudo literally means do and is supposed to be pronounced that way.
Nobody does.
Plus, most people think the S stands for super, so it's got plenty of identity issues. (heh)

juancarlospaco
October 29th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Cold Tee

Ctrl-Alt-F1
October 29th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Isn't it gah-nome?
Well, holy crap it is! I don't know where I came up with genome, I could have sworn I read it somewhere. I guess I'll just go back to calling it "nome" then, since that's how it's spelled. Gah-nome sounds ridiculous. I refuse to use that.

ubunterooster
October 29th, 2010, 07:54 PM
"What are you doing on the computer?"
"Cute!"
"WHAT? SICKO!"

*time warp*

"What are you doing on the computer?"
"Q.T."
"You are such a nerd"

forrestcupp
October 29th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Well, holy crap it is! I don't know where I came up with genome, I could have sworn I read it somewhere. I guess I'll just go back to calling it "nome" then, since that's how it's spelled. Gah-nome sounds ridiculous. I refuse to use that.
Wow. That is pretty ridiculous. Genome is tolerable, but gahnome is just ridiculous. I wonder if they'll keep pronouncing it that way if they end up leaving the GNU project.

MacUntu
October 30th, 2010, 12:59 AM
At the UDS they talked about meeting "cute Nokia people" - at first I was a bit worried. http://design.canonical.com/wp-content/themes/canonical-design/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.png

Spice Weasel
October 30th, 2010, 01:05 AM
Wow. That is pretty ridiculous. Genome is tolerable, but gahnome is just ridiculous. I wonder if they'll keep pronouncing it that way if they end up leaving the GNU project.

Better than Lighnucks (LiGNUx).

forrestcupp
October 30th, 2010, 02:54 AM
Better than Lighnucks (LiGNUx).

Please don't give anyone any ideas!

koenn
October 30th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Please don't give anyone any ideas!

it's an old idea, from around 1993 or so, when Ian Murdoc and Richard Stallman were talking about combining the linux kernel with the GNU operating system, which later resulted in the birth of Debian GNU/Linux

CraigPaleo
October 30th, 2010, 07:43 PM

LOL! Could you imagine The Human GNOME project.

Anyway, they keep the acronym even though the project no longer stands for GNU Network Object Model Environment. I think they'd keep the pronunciation if they left GNU as well.