PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook install problem

Richsheri4
October 25th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Hello, I'm having problems installing Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook onto my Asus 900. I downloaded the .iso then used the "make startup disc" feature in my Mint 9 desktop machine to make a usb install disk. All appears well at that point. When I try to boot from the usb stick, I get an error message as follows:

"SYSLINUX 363 Debien-2008-07-15 ......
Unknown Keyword in Configuration File

boot: "

and the cursor just hangs there and doesn't respond to the keyboard.

I also tried it on another Asus and a Gateway Laptop with the same results.

My intention is to have this the sole OS on my little Asus 900.

'tis a headscratcher. :confused:

SirBlain
October 25th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Do you have a machine with Windows on it? I've had bad luck making bootable USBs in Linux. I've always run into some problem.

If you can get to a Windows machine search for a program called LiLi (Linux Live usb installer). It's automated, you can choose for it to use your .iso or download a new one. Give it a shot and let us know if it worked!

renehasekamp
October 25th, 2010, 10:30 PM
I had the same problem when I made my USB-"live cd" using the utility, from Ubuntu 10.10.
However, when I used the startup-USB maker from Ubuntu 10.04 everything went fine and the error messsage did not appear.
I suppose there is a bug in the startup-(USB)disk-maker in 10.10!

sikander3786
October 25th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Download unetbootin.

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net

You can use it on Linux Mint. Don't download it from the repositories as they contain the older version and I suspect it doesn't work with 10.10. Download from the webiste instead.

This page lists a few more options.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

Richsheri4
October 25th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Thanks, I should add that I used the same procedure and the same equipment to make a bootable usb of Lubuntu 10.04 and it installed just fine (that's anecdote, not evidence).

I've tried Unetbootin and the Windows version worked quite well. I had some problems with the linux version(s) but they may have been caused by me.

I have Windows machines available and a usb external CD R/W machine. In fact, I burned a CD using the same .iso I had used previously, and am currently installing 10.10 netbook onto the little Asus. But it is slooooow.

It's nice to know I'm not alone with my peculiar problems. :)