PDA

View Full Version : Noobs like me

vsbladz
October 25th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Hi All,
This is directed more towards the Ubuntu itself then anyone else.
I count myself a total noob. Yet I just love my Linux. I am making everything possible to make myself confortable in Linux.
However I do have one gripe though. About a month ago, I installed Ubuntu 10.04. Was very happy....Everything went well. Very very slick...until one night...my wife and I decided to watch a movie. And that's when my mind just went hay-way....
I was extremely upset ( yeah I will take the blame) I did not have internet connection and just couldn't load the video codecs....Yes...Ubuntu did not come will all codecs loaded.
That was a put-off for me.
Instantly I installed Linux Mint 9 and everything Worked....Just freakin' WORKED!....
My ONLY humble request to Ubuntu is, please, gaddamit please...Install ALL codecs so these noobs (Such as myself) will not have second thought on going back to Windows.
I did not since I windows make me sick to my gut.
So....If you want market share, make it painless as possible for noobs please...
But above all....I still love Linux!!!

Hippytaff
October 25th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Some drivers and codecs might be excluded because they are proprietary, therefore not strictly speaking 'freeware' So we have an option on linux to be completely freeware or freeware with proprietary stuff (I go with the latter) but there is a linux legal/ethical undercurrent to all this :-)

Gone fishing
October 25th, 2010, 08:02 PM
The reason Ubuntu doesn't come with the codecs is legal (dvdcss for e.g.) - Mints legality is probably questionable in some jurisdictions Ubuntu's is not and their are also GPL licence problems with proprietary software.

Don't get me wrong I think Mint is great and hell will freeze before its illegal in Lesotho.

LowSky
October 25th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Hi welcome to the forums.

Ubuntu doesn't have the codecs install by default because of copyright infringement in some areas, like the USA.

Linux Mint is based out of Ireland I believe were codec law isn't so tight, so they can be included by default.

I understand that this was an annoyance for you, and for many others, but in retrospect, OSes like Windows do not always include all the proper codecs as well. Windows requires you to download and install them just the same as Ubuntu.

enjoy Linux no matter what flavor you choose.

Hippytaff
October 25th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Should this be in the discussions forum :-s

edit - I forgot to say welcome :-D

PhilGil
October 25th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Mint is a small operation, so the dev can get away with including the codecs with little fear of reprisal.

As others have mentioned, Ubuntu can't include the codecs by default for legal reasons. Getting them, however, is as easy as installing the package "ubuntu-restricted-extras".

It's a pity that it's not better documented (but that may be for legal reasons too).

cariboo
October 25th, 2010, 09:00 PM
This really isn't a support question, moved to the Cafe. It probably needs to be in recurring, but I'll leave it here for a short while.

Spice Weasel
October 25th, 2010, 09:08 PM
There are patent issues with many codecs and with MP3 I've heard you are supposed to pay a fee to use it (this fee is included with the price of Windows).

Hippytaff
October 25th, 2010, 09:13 PM
It is mostly copyright/licensing stuff, but there are a lot of people who would prefer not to use propetary software because they specifically want to use and support the freeware community.

t0p
October 25th, 2010, 10:57 PM
It is mostly copyright/licensing stuff, but there are a lot of people who would prefer not to use propetary software because they specifically want to use and support the freeware community.

I hate to bring this up, but you are using the term freeware incorrectly. "Freeware" means it is available for $0, and this includes proprietary software.

I think the term you are looking for is "free software" or "open source software" or even "FOSS" (free/open source software). And free software doesn't have to be given away for nothing - you have every right to sell free software if you want to.

Here's a link (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy) that explains this better than me.

Hippytaff
October 25th, 2010, 11:00 PM
I hate to bring this up, but you are using the term freeware incorrectly. "Freeware" means it is available for $0, and this includes proprietary software.

I think the term you are looking for is "free software" or "open source software" or even "FOSS" (free/open source software). And free software doesn't have to be given away for nothing - you have every right to sell free software if you want to.

Here's a link (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy) that explains this better than me.

please excuse the faux pas...I meant open source :-)

aysiu
October 25th, 2010, 11:05 PM
The reason Ubuntu doesn't come with the codecs is legal (dvdcss for e.g.) - Mints legality is probably questionable in some jurisdictions Ubuntu's is not and their are also GPL licence problems with proprietary software. Legal reasons are only secondary. It mainly has to do with philosophical reasons:
http://www.ubuntu.com/project/about-ubuntu/our-philosophy

If it were just legal reasons, they would do what Linux Mint does instead (Linux Mint's default distribution includes proprietary codecs, and then it has another version for countries that don't allow those codecs to be redistributed).

t0p
October 25th, 2010, 11:17 PM
If it were just legal reasons, they would do what Linux Mint does instead (Linux Mint's default distribution includes proprietary codecs, and then it has another version for countries that don't allow those codecs to be redistributed).

That reminds me of what the developers of PGP had to do when the US government considered offering the download of encryption software to other countries as exporting munitions. They had to print out the source code of the software, take that hard copy to somewhere outside the USA, then scan the code into a computer and compile it, then offer the sneakily-exported "weapon" for download from a computer outside the USA. link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretty_Good_Privacy#Criminal_investigation). Bizarre.

smellyman
October 26th, 2010, 12:28 AM
Windows comes with all codecs?

CharlesA
October 26th, 2010, 12:34 AM

As far as I know it doesn't. Then again, the most stuff I've played on a Windows box are MP3s and MPG/WMV

Hippytaff
October 26th, 2010, 12:36 AM

nope...and thats the point :-)

PhilGil
October 26th, 2010, 12:41 AM
It definitely does not. Many codecs have to be downloaded and installed the first time they're needed. In particular, the DVD decoder has to be purchased (most DVD drives ship with the requisite software, but it isn't included in a default Windows install).

CharlesA
October 26th, 2010, 01:44 AM
It definitely does not. Many codecs have to be downloaded and installed the first time they're needed. In particular, the DVD decoder has to be purchased (most DVD drives ship with the requisite software, but it isn't included in a default Windows install).

Media Center and Media player can play dvds out of the box on Vista and 7 iirc.

NCLI
October 26th, 2010, 01:48 AM
Hi All,
I count myself a total noob. Yet I just love my Linux. I am making everything possible to make myself confortable in Linux.
However I do have one gripe though. About a month ago, I installed Ubuntu 10.04. Was very happy....Everything went well. Very very slick...until one night...my wife and I decided to watch a movie. And that's when my mind just went hay-way....
I was extremely upset ( yeah I will take the blame) I did not have internet connection and just couldn't load the video codecs....Yes...Ubuntu did not come will all codecs loaded.
Instantly I installed Linux Mint 9 and everything Worked....Just freakin' WORKED!....
My ONLY humble request to Ubuntu is, please, gaddamit please...Install ALL codecs so these noobs (Such as myself) will not have second thought on going back to Windows.
So....If you want market share, make it painless as possible for noobs please...
In the new version(10.10) and onwards, there is a checkbox in the installer which tells Ubuntu to install all codecs, flash etc.

So... problem solved?

Yep, the DVD codec is included in the price when you buy windows. Other than those for DVDs and Windows Media files, Windows doesn't have any codecs installed by default though, IIRC.

PhilGil
October 26th, 2010, 02:03 AM
I thought I had to install VLC on my wife's Vista machine for her to play DVD's, but I could be mistaken -- it's been a couple of years since I set everything up. Good to see it's included by default now.

Lucradia
October 26th, 2010, 02:26 AM
It probably was already said, but Windows only comes with them because Microsoft buys a license for each and every copy of their Operating system so you can play your DVD/Blu-ray/whatever. However, this makes Windows more expensive. To offset this, companies like Best Buy add extra software, like Anti-Virus that's mandatory on all computers to lower the price by about 20-30 USD.

johntaylor1887
October 26th, 2010, 02:46 AM
I think people forget that if you do a fresh install of windows, it comes with nothing. Nada. Zip. Just a text editor, solitaire, and the ability to play WMA files. Without internet, you can't install codecs in windows either.

smellyman
October 26th, 2010, 02:46 AM
nope...and thats the point :-)

Mine too. I was being sarcastic.

Not only does Windows not come with all codecs, you have to track them down and install them. Sometimes not knowing what you are missing.

Not near as easy installing restricted extras and done.

johntaylor1887
October 26th, 2010, 02:56 AM
Not only does Windows not come with all codecs, you have to track them down and install them. Sometimes not knowing what you are missing.

Not near as easy installing restricted extras and done.

I'm not defending windows, but seasoned windows users know to install K-lite codec pack which includes every codec known to man. If you go to free-codecs.com they have several all-in-one codec packages.

But yeah, it's pretty easy in ubuntu too, unless you don't have internet. In that case use Mint.

Khakilang
October 26th, 2010, 04:06 AM
To my experience most of the OS doesn't come with any codec install. You have to hunt for it in the internet and install it yourself. I was a noob beforea and had a hard time finding codec for my Ubuntu until I stumble upon Ubuntu restricted extras in the Ubuntu software center. Using a computer nowadays need internet to access certain software to make it work the way you want it.

TheNessus
October 26th, 2010, 04:17 AM
Hi All,

You know, you could have just gotten the codecs from the mint CD, instead of reinstalling your whole system.

swoll1980
October 26th, 2010, 04:52 AM
It probably was already said, but Windows only comes with them because Microsoft buys a license for each and every copy of their Operating system so you can play your DVD/Blu-ray/whatever. However, this makes Windows more expensive. To offset this, companies like Best Buy add extra software, like Anti-Virus that's mandatory on all computers to lower the price by about 20-30 USD.

Last I knew XP Home and 7 Home were the same price. I think XP was a little more actually.

Lucradia
October 26th, 2010, 08:47 AM
Last I knew XP Home and 7 Home were the same price. I think XP was a little more actually.

Windows doesn't have to be 100 USD though. :)

Canis familiaris
October 26th, 2010, 09:09 AM
I thought MP3 patents were going to expire soon enough?

Lucradia
October 26th, 2010, 09:15 AM
I thought MP3 patents were going to expire soon enough?

They "fully" end in 2018. Any company is allowed to renew said patents, however. (IE: Apple, Microsoft, etc.)

cascade9
October 26th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Hi welcome to the forums.

Ubuntu doesn't have the codecs install by default because of copyright infringement in some areas, like the USA.

Linux Mint is based out of Ireland I believe were codec law isn't so tight, so they can be included by default.

Has anybody ever been taken to court over MP3 (etc) support? Not as far as I know.

Mint is just as usable in the US as it is in Irelend. Canonical is based on the isle of Man, not the US. IMO the reason why ubuntu doesnt have 'restricted-extras' installed stock is because canonical have the goal of making money out of ubuntu....they would really hate to actually start turning a profit then get hit with a lawsuit.

Cynically, you could also say that 'restricted-extras' isnt installed because canonical would love to sell more fluendo packages. ;)

Not even close. WMP file support (stock) is a joke-

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316992

There is probably an updated version of that list, but I doubt that the supported file type list is going to have any real changes.

I'm not defending windows, but seasoned windows users know to install K-lite codec pack which includes every codec known to man. If you go to free-codecs.com they have several all-in-one codec packages.

Some seasoned windows users just avoid k-lite and get better media players. Myself, I use foobar2000 and VLC. I doubt you'll find any audio codecs that FB2K wont play (and it will play obscure/'experimental' codecs like tak that have no support at all with k-lite), and 95% of them work 'out of the box'.

CharlesA
October 26th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Some seasoned windows users just avoid k-lite and get better media players. Myself, I use foobar2000 and VLC. I doubt you'll find any audio codecs that FB2K wont play (and it will play obscure/'experimental' codecs like tak that have no support at all with k-lite), and 95% of them work 'out of the box'.

+1. foobar is awesome.

I also like winamp, but that doesn't play everything.