PDA

View Full Version : IE7 Woes

dermotti
April 15th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Jeez, microsoft messed up the BACK button. Lol... Idoesnt work half the time.... other than that the browser great. Im sure they will have it fixed by release.

bjweeks
April 15th, 2006, 11:11 AM
After useing firefox for so long I don't think I can go back.

dermotti
April 15th, 2006, 12:14 PM
New Ie7 is pretty decent. They stole the best ideas from firefox and opera and put them in their browser.

jimcooncat
April 15th, 2006, 12:25 PM
What's the best way to run IE6 and IE7 on Ubuntu? I need them to check my web pages. Should I install a whole win2k environment under QEMU or VMWare?

bjweeks
April 15th, 2006, 01:05 PM
New Ie7 is pretty decent. They stole the best ideas from firefox and opera and put them in their browser.

I have used it but didn't really like it but at least I won't pull my hair out when I have to use somebody's elses system.

aktiwers
April 15th, 2006, 01:36 PM
You can run it without installing it, for testing. I havent tested it(as my windows is wipped out), but i heard it would run a little slower this way.

http://jaganath.blogspot.com/2006/04/how-to-run-ie-7-without-installing-it.html

BoyOfDestiny
April 15th, 2006, 01:55 PM
What's the best way to run IE6 and IE7 on Ubuntu? I need them to check my web pages. Should I install a whole win2k environment under QEMU or VMWare?
Try wine first I guess.

NoWhereMan
April 15th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Try wine first I guess.
there is an installer script for wine to get ie6... used it once...
it must be this http://sidenet.ddo.jp/winetips/config.html

sapo
April 15th, 2006, 03:06 PM
After useing firefox for so long I don't think I can go back.
Does IE still exists?

I forgot about it completely :mrgreen:

BWF89
April 16th, 2006, 02:08 AM
I thought their feature where you click a button and it shows every page you have opened in tabs at once in thumbnails was pretty cool. Eventhough I don't see any practical use for it.

So I installed the Firefox extension "foXpose" and now I have it.

Sirin
April 16th, 2006, 10:56 AM
I have not seen A SINGLE browser made for ANY PC (besides Mac) that can match up to the RSS reading capabilities of IE 7. NOT ONE. ;)

Besides that... well... I like the new GUI design. It travels away from the bulky traditional design of most browsers out there (menubar up top, navigation toolbar on second row, bookmarks toolbar on the third row, and tabs toolbar on the forth and last row). And it is not integrated into the OS like before. Seems like Microsoft is finally listening.

dolny
April 16th, 2006, 10:57 AM
I tried installing it with Wine. No luck.

Sirin
April 16th, 2006, 11:04 AM
I tried installing it with Wine. No luck.
IE 7 depends on SP2. I don't believe that WINE emulates SP2 very well. :-|

Paulus
April 16th, 2006, 11:12 AM
We can of course run it in Vmware ;)

jimcooncat
April 16th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Thanks for everyone's input! It's helped me make up my mind, I'll go with qemu and/or vmware to get it going. Turns out my customers are sending me Publisher files that I have to convert to PDF's. Since the Publisher file formats are widely different between versions having several Windows images will probably be my simplest bet anyways.

I am so looking forward to the day I can run Ubuntu with Xen on an AMD Pacifica chip all out of the box. According to what I've read this setup will allow me to run Windows images without special modifications. I'm going to wager that this technology will mature before IE becomes standards-compliant.

awakatanka
April 16th, 2006, 11:47 AM
I find it the most ugliest ie there is, Why switch from the old design but rather good design to a totaly new ugly design.

the new extra are ok, but i will not use this bad designed ie.

geo15
April 17th, 2006, 11:24 AM
It uses a lot of memory when using tabs - I had 8 tabs open in Win XP and it used about 145 MB of memory - that was IE7 beta 2